I have installed the latest Solaris 8 Recommended Patch Cluster on my
SunBlade 100, checked that I have all the required and recommended
patches for Gnome 2.0 (on [url]www.sun.com[/url]) and followed all the
troubleshooting steps in the Gnome 2.0 installation guide on
docs.sun.com.

But still, every time I try to launcch Gnome rather than CDE as my
desktop, it comes up with a load of errors which prevent it from
starting. If I run it from a failsafe session, the principle error is as
follows:

---
Window manager warning: Failed to contact configuration server; some
possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit,
or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
[url]http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/[/url] for in
formation. (Details - 1: IOR file
'/export/home/rcross/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file
'/export/home/rcross/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
located: No such file or directory)"
---

Please can someone tell me how to rectify this?