Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with "levels" - Adobe Photoshop Elements

What a steep learning curve - and how frustrating. Until yesterday I had no trouble improving my photos with enhancement/ levels. Now, I can only get a solid black screen - instead of the usual histogram, and no graph. I'm not aware I've done anything different. Win ME; 1400 megahertz AMD Athlon; 512 MB Ram. Has anyone any idea what's wrong?? Help! Clive...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with "levels"

    What a steep learning curve - and how frustrating.
    Until yesterday I had no trouble improving my photos with enhancement/ levels. Now, I can only get a solid black screen - instead of the usual histogram, and no graph. I'm not aware I've done anything different.
    Win ME; 1400 megahertz AMD Athlon; 512 MB Ram.
    Has anyone any idea what's wrong?? Help!
    Clive
    clivelgr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with "levels"

    First thing to try, since it was working yesterday, is to delete the Elements Preference folder. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down simultaneously until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes.

    There's something else tickling my brain about that black screen, too, but I can't remember what it is. Repost and let us know if resetting the Preferences works or not. If not, we can hope somebody else will come by and remember whatever it is that I'm forgetting! Good luck. Oh, did you make any changes in your monitor/video settings?
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, Beth: I think you're right on both counts. We've had some folks who
    had the black histogram that got it back with the delete/reset preferences,
    while others had to turn off acceleration and/or update their video card
    driver. In this case, I'd delete preferences first as you've suggested,
    unless there is knowledge of a change in video card driver.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    Hello both,
    Had tried the "delete Preference folder" several times - without any joy. I've asked so many guys for help I quite forget what info I've given, but in the last 2 wks I've had a new harddrive fitted and then my OS (Win ME) reinstalled, including video card driver. I only appear to have problems with PS and only in "levels". Haven't made any changes to monitor/video settings.
    Thanks.
    clivelgr Guest

  5. #5

    Clive, the video driver is a prime suspect. If you go into Control
    Panel<Display<Settings<Advanced<Performance and change Hardware Acceleration
    to None, then restart your machine, see if the Levels histogram comes back.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Chuck, at the same time as you were posting I had reached the same point! Moved Acceleration to zero, but then set Display settings to 32bit, and everything worked!! Took my life in my hands and increased Acceleration to Max (leaving Display settings at 32 bit), and it still works!!. Incidently, Windows says that best driver is already installed etc
    Thanks everyone.
    Clive.
    clivelgr Guest

  7. #7

    Clive, I believe the 32-bit color setting is the fix I couldn't remember -
    maybe next time I'll be able to give that advice without quite so much
    shooting in the dark... Glad it's fixed!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  8. #8

    And I think that's what my brain was trying to pull up out of the darkness, too. It sounded so familiar as soon as you posted. Sorry Chuck and I remember only enough to be dangerous. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    Beth...funny X-D

    Ok, will we remember next time ??