Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with Linux network - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have a dual boot system -- RedHat Linux 9.0 and Windows XP -- and I told both Windows and Linux to get my IP address and DNS information directly through DHCP. It worked perfectly with Windows and I was on the net immediately, but I cannot seem to get Linux online. The installation recognized the card but when I boot up I get a message saying that for eth0 there was a 7322 bus error on line 354 of /sbin/dhclient. (That is the essence of the message -- it goes by too fast to write it down exactly.) When ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with Linux network

    I have a dual boot system -- RedHat Linux 9.0 and Windows XP --
    and I told both Windows and Linux to get my IP address and DNS
    information directly through DHCP. It worked perfectly with
    Windows and I was on the net immediately, but I cannot seem to
    get Linux online. The installation recognized the card but when I
    boot up I get a message saying that for eth0 there was a 7322 bus
    error on line 354 of /sbin/dhclient. (That is the essence of the
    message -- it goes by too fast to write it down exactly.)

    When I try to ssh to another machine it tells me that it
    temporarily cannot get the address. Likewise, I cannot get online
    with anything else.

    The setup seems so simple -- just check the DHCP boxes -- but it
    does not work. Anyone have any ideas?

    --
    Stephen
    com

    Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

    Printed using 100% recycled electrons.
    Stephen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with Linux network

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:33:06 -0800, Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:

    .... you can execute "dmesg" to see those boot messages. at a
    CLI, execute "ifup eth0" and see what happens. anyway, it would
    be helpful for us to know the exact *error* message. a bus
    error could spell trouble
    ..
    As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
    certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
    reality. - Albert Einstein
    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, mjt wrote:

    > ... you can execute "dmesg" to see those boot messages. at a
    > CLI, execute "ifup eth0" and see what happens. anyway, it would
    > be helpful for us to know the exact *error* message. a bus
    > error could spell trouble
    >[/ref]

    dmesg was the first thing I had tried, but, unfortunately, the
    message is not retained there. However, taking your advice, "ifup
    eth0" tes the problem, though the number preceeding the
    "Bus error" is different than the one at bootup. Here is the
    error message:

    Determining IP information for eth0..../ifup: line 354: 8120 Bus error
    (core dumped) /sbin/dhclient ${DHCLIENTARGS} ${DEVICE} failed.

  4. #4

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:35:01 -0800, Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:

    > dmesg was the first thing I had tried, but, unfortunately, the
    > message is not retained there.[/ref]

    .... check /var/log for 'boot.msg' or 'localmessages'

    However, taking your advice, "ifup

    .... /sbin/ifup is a text script - goto that line and see
    what is being executed, please :)
    ..
    "This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
    actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?"
    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, mjt wrote:

    > ... check /var/log for 'boot.msg' or 'localmessages'
    >[/ref]

    Sorry, no. The error message is nowhere in /var/log.

    > ... /sbin/ifup is a text script - goto that line and see
    > what is being executed, please :)
    >[/ref]

    Line 354 is simply "fi"

    Here I have typed in the immediately preceeding lines, ending in
    the last "fi" on line 354.

    # Set a default route.
    if [ -z "${GATEWAYDEV}" -o "${GATEWAYDEV}" = "${REALDEVICE}" ]; then
    # set up default gateway. replace if one laready exists.
    if [ -n "${GATEWAY}" -a "'ipcalc --network ${GATEWAY} ${NETMASK} 2>/dev/null'" = "NETWORK=${NETWORK}" ]; then
    ip route replace default via ${GATEWAY} ${WINDOW:+window $WINDOW} ${SRC}
    elif [ "${GATEWAYDEV}" = "${DEVICE}" ]; then
    ip route replace default ${SRC} ${WINDOW:+window $WINDOW} dev ${REALDEVICE}
    fi
    fi
    fi

  6. #6

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > No such thing as RedHat 9.0, it's RedHat 9. Just being precise...
    >[/ref]

    I hade assumed it was RedHat 9.0, but actually on the box it says
    "Red Hat Professional Workstation" and the "Installation Guide"
    says "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3." Is this different from "RedHat 9?"

    > Hmm. Your later message reports that the error message is from /sbin/ifup.
    > My system shows that line 354 is for IPX. Are you using IPX? Try turning it
    > off....
    >[/ref]

    I don't know what IPX is, much less how to turn it off. But perhaps
    we have different versions of /sbin/ifup. Line 354 seems to be part
    of setting up a route. Here is that portion of the script.

    # Set a default route.
    if [ -z "${GATEWAYDEV}" -o "${GATEWAYDEV}" = "${REALDEVICE}" ]; then
    # set up default gateway. replace if one laready exists.
    if [ -n "${GATEWAY}" -a "'ipcalc --network ${GATEWAY} ${NETMASK} 2>/dev/null'" =
    "NETWORK=${NETWORK}" ]; then
    ip route replace default via ${GATEWAY} ${WINDOW:+window $WINDOW} ${SRC}
    elif [ "${GATEWAYDEV}" = "${DEVICE}" ]; then
    ip route replace default ${SRC} ${WINDOW:+window $WINDOW} dev ${REALDEVICE}
    fi
    fi
    fi <-- This is line 354

  8. #8

    "Stephen Speicher" <com> wrote in message
    2>/dev/null'" = "NETWORK=${NETWORK}" ]; then
    ${SRC}
    ${REALDEVICE}

    Stephen, your pager ("less", probably) has misled you. Because of the
    longer, wrap-around lines, hitting "354<Enter>" has brought you to line 332,
    not line 354. Open it up with emacs, or use "less" and set you "LESS"
    environment variable to "-ceMw" to show you what line you're actually at.

    It's a familiar problem, and can be very confusing to people unfamiliar with
    how "less" handles long lines.

    Nico Guest

  9. #9

    > > No such thing as RedHat 9.0, it's RedHat 9. Just being precise...
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I hade assumed it was RedHat 9.0, but actually on the box it says
    > "Red Hat Professional Workstation" and the "Installation Guide"
    > says "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3." Is this different from "RedHat 9?"[/ref]

    Yeah, that's an entirely different ball of wax. Ignore what I just said
    about being confused by line numbering in "less" unless it happens to be
    true....

    You've got RedHat's new commercial distribution, being referred as "RHEL" or
    RedHat Enterprise Linux. But you've got commercial support that comes with
    that box, give RedHat a call if it's not the IPX issue I mentioned.

    Nico Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:48:12 -0800, Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    .... are you SURE about that line-number?

    It is now 10 p.m. Do you know where Henry Kissinger is?
    -- Elizabeth Carpenter
    mjt Guest

  11. #11

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    I posted to the newsgroup over the weekend, when the RH phone
    support was closed. I've been speaking with them througout the
    entire day today, and they are looking into the problem on their
    end.

    However, if it would not hurt anything, I still would like to try
    your idea about IPX. What is IPX and how can I turn it off and
    on?

  12. #12

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > 2>/dev/null'" = "NETWORK=${NETWORK}" ]; then
    > ${SRC}
    > ${REALDEVICE}
    >
    > Stephen, your pager ("less", probably) has misled you. Because of the
    > longer, wrap-around lines, hitting "354<Enter>" has brought you to line 332,
    > not line 354. Open it up with emacs, or use "less" and set you "LESS"
    > environment variable to "-ceMw" to show you what line you're actually at.
    >
    > It's a familiar problem, and can be very confusing to people unfamiliar with
    > how "less" handles long lines.
    >[/ref]

    I used vi.

  13. #13

    Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:

    > > Stephen, your pager ("less", probably) has misled you. Because of the
    > > longer, wrap-around lines, hitting "354<Enter>" has brought you to line 332,
    > > not line 354. Open it up with emacs, or use "less" and set you "LESS"
    > > environment variable to "-ceMw" to show you what line you're actually at.
    > >
    > > It's a familiar problem, and can be very confusing to people unfamiliar with
    > > how "less" handles long lines.[/ref]
    >
    > I used vi.[/ref]

    And as a colorizing editor, doesn't it flag the extra "fi" near the
    end of that block, nor the mistaken use of apostrophes instead of
    backticks around the ipcalc call?

    You typed that in instead of copying and pasting. Who knows what errors
    you introduced apart from the obvious ones that I see immediately.

    We don't want to debug you. Use an editor, don't type.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  14. #14

    "Stephen Speicher" <com> wrote in message
    news:localdomain... [/ref]
    "RHEL" or [/ref]
    with

    > I posted to the newsgroup over the weekend, when the RH phone
    > support was closed. I've been speaking with them througout the
    > entire day today, and they are looking into the problem on their
    > end.
    >
    > However, if it would not hurt anything, I still would like to try
    > your idea about IPX. What is IPX and how can I turn it off and
    > on?[/ref]

    IPX is another way of sending information over a network, kind of like
    TCP/IP, used by Novell's old NetWare package. You can use both, but people
    have mostly given up on IPX. It's usually installed as part of a specific
    package, such as "ipxutils" and "mars-nwe" for RedHat 9, and would be
    enabled in your /etc/sysconfig/* configuration scripts. I'm not sure that
    tools RHEL uses for configuring its network, but take a look in your
    /etc/sysconfig files for the word "IPX" by using "grep -rl IPX
    /etc/sysconfig" to see what I mean.

    Nico Guest

  15. #15

    "P.T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
    news:it.uc3m.es... [/ref][/ref]
    2>/dev/null'" = "NETWORK=${NETWORK}" ]; then [/ref][/ref]
    $WINDOW} ${SRC} [/ref][/ref]
    ${REALDEVICE} [/ref][/ref]
    line 332, [/ref][/ref]
    at. [/ref][/ref]
    unfamiliar with

    > > I used vi.[/ref]
    >
    > And as a colorizing editor, doesn't it flag the extra "fi" near the
    > end of that block, nor the mistaken use of apostrophes instead of
    > backticks around the ipcalc call?
    >
    > You typed that in instead of copying and pasting. Who knows what errors
    > you introduced apart from the obvious ones that I see immediately.
    >
    > We don't want to debug you. Use an editor, don't type.[/ref]

    Peter, would you go staple your over-experienced but still newbie ears to
    the wall and stop pretending you know what you're talking about? You're
    still batting about .900 on making a bad assumption and assuming it's the
    poster's fault, thus insulting the original poster and presenting useless
    advice that helps nothing.

    If you actually bothered to read the file, you'd see that the 'fi' is from a
    previous 'if' command. The failure to have it indented at a different level
    may be a posting agent issue: he's posting through "supernews" and may be
    using a web-based form that does oddness to indentations and/or quote marks,
    which is frankly not uncommon and a real reason to avoid such clients.

    Stephen? Ignore Peter. He keeps hoping he can prove his manhood by showing
    his giant wienie of experience to the newbies, and keeps forgetting he left
    it in his cupholder, which he spilled on the floor and never swept up.

    Nico Guest

  16. #16

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <net> wrote: [/ref]
    > ${REALDEVICE} [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Would you kindly go away? And keep your insults for your cack-head.

    What "file"? The above has an unbalanced "fi" and apostrophes instead
    of back ticks, so it's likely copied by hand.

    Maybe, maybe not. Web-based forms generally do not change characters on
    you! Formatting, yes. I take your word for it on the existence of the
    web-based form, by the way, but I wouldn't expect any formatting at all
    to survive such a passage. And it has survived. But there's a 1-char
    displacement evident in half of the indenting. Yep - I'd say that was
    hand-copied. By a very very good copier.

    Of course!

    Go away nitwit. Keep your insults to yourself.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest