Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with MS Access, ODBC and MySQL 5 - MySQL

I have, almost, successfully replaced SQL Server with a MySQL back end for my database. I used the migration tool and copied the database successfully, fixed the Access ODBC bug by copying an old DLL and linked my Access forms to MySQL tables. So far, so good. The problem now is that when I save a new record through an Access form. The data is successfully saved to the database but all of the field data in the data-entry form is replaced by the #Deleted code and the new record is not included in the dataset for the form. If ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with MS Access, ODBC and MySQL 5

    I have, almost, successfully replaced SQL Server with a MySQL back end
    for my database. I used the migration tool and copied the database
    successfully, fixed the Access ODBC bug by copying an old DLL and linked
    my Access forms to MySQL tables. So far, so good.

    The problem now is that when I save a new record through an Access form.
    The data is successfully saved to the database but all of the field data
    in the data-entry form is replaced by the #Deleted code and the new
    record is not included in the dataset for the form. If I requery the
    table it refreshes the data and the new data is found, but the form gets
    redisplayed showing the first record in the recordset. To find the
    recently added record I need to search through the database. It's
    important to have the recently added record displayed because some of
    its data is used to populate a foreign key field in another form.

    Is there any way I can persuade Access to leave the field data displayed
    as it was when I used SQL Server 2000 as the back-end?

    --
    Bernard Peek
    London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

    Bernard Peek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with MS Access, ODBC and MySQL 5

    Well, use unbound forms. I guess you just have run into one of the many
    drawbacks bound forms give you.

    Boundforms look nice if you:
    - do no programming
    - use access tables.
    In other cirstances, make the forms unbound and do the storing and
    retreiving from code.

    Bernard Peek wrote:
    > I have, almost, successfully replaced SQL Server with a MySQL back end
    > for my database. I used the migration tool and copied the database
    > successfully, fixed the Access ODBC bug by copying an old DLL and linked
    > my Access forms to MySQL tables. So far, so good.
    >
    > The problem now is that when I save a new record through an Access form.
    > The data is successfully saved to the database but all of the field data
    > in the data-entry form is replaced by the #Deleted code and the new
    > record is not included in the dataset for the form. If I requery the
    > table it refreshes the data and the new data is found, but the form gets
    > redisplayed showing the first record in the recordset. To find the
    > recently added record I need to search through the database. It's
    > important to have the recently added record displayed because some of
    > its data is used to populate a foreign key field in another form.
    >
    > Is there any way I can persuade Access to leave the field data displayed
    > as it was when I used SQL Server 2000 as the back-end?

    Dikkie Dik Guest