Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with my hard drive (help !) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, Please, I'm desperate... I have some problem with my hard drives (an ext3 in an extended partition) : At boot time with the automatic fsck I got : kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=132142039, sector=52170392 [snip several similar messages] kernel: hdb: DMA disabled kernel: ide0: reset: master: error (0x51?) kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error } kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=132142039, sector=52170392 [snip several similar messages] kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 37752486 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with my hard drive (help !)

    Hello,

    Please, I'm desperate...

    I have some problem with my hard drives (an ext3 in an extended
    partition) :

    At boot time with the automatic fsck I got :

    kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound },
    LBAsect=132142039, sector=52170392

    [snip several similar messages]

    kernel: hdb: DMA disabled

    kernel: ide0: reset: master: error (0x51?)
    kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete
    DataRequest Error } kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x01 {
    AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=132142039, sector=52170392

    [snip several similar messages]

    kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 37752486
    kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 37752544
    kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 37752546

    [etc...]

    Then it's impossible to access the partition

    When I manually start fsck I got :

    e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
    e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
    while trying to open /dev/hdb5 Could this be a zero-length partition?

    If I remove /dev/hdb5 from /etc/fstab and start e2fsck, e2fsck begin to
    check the partition then stop with a similar error :

    Error reading block 6521299 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
    resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.
    /dev/hdb5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    (i.e., without -a or -p options)

    I tried to access the partition with Knoppix, same problem.
    I tried to start e2fsck with different superblocks, same problem.

    I ran out of ideas... If anyone can help me with this one, I will be
    *really* grateful.

    Thanks
    Pham Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with my hard drive (help !)

    Pham <fr> writes:

    Indeed.

    [...]

    This drive is dying. There's probably no hope to get the data out of
    the already damaged partition, but you should immediately make a
    backup of the data on the other partitions. *Now*.

    Michael
    --
    Michael Buchenrieder * greenie.muc.de * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
    Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Nets

  3. #3

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:37:04 +0100, Pham <fr> wrote:

    It looks very like a hardware failure to me... I hope you have a
    backup.

    Mike-
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    I would suggest getting a whole new hard drive and tring to clone your
    current disk's partitions to it - because this hard drive is dying!
    BTW if doing this don't forget you are going to have to mess with the
    new disk's mbr and such in order to get things to boot right (probably
    going to have to manually install a boot loader).
    Ryan Guest

  5. #5

    "Michael W. e" wrote

    > It looks very like a hardware failure to me... I hope you have a
    > backup.
    >
    > Mike-[/ref]
    I'd keep the 'bad' hard disk on the shelf for a few weeks until you find
    out if the new disk is 'bad' too... because this could be a bad power
    supply to the whole computer, not a destroyed hard disk drive.

    Frank Guest

  6. #6

    On 15 Jan 2004 08:36:49 -0800, edu (Ryan Paras) wrote :

    > I would suggest getting a whole new hard drive and tring to clone your
    > current disk's partitions to it - because this hard drive is dying!
    > BTW if doing this don't forget you are going to have to mess with the
    > new disk's mbr and such in order to get things to boot right (probably
    > going to have to manually install a boot loader).[/ref]

    Ok I've ordered a new one on the internet and I'm waiting for it.
    No need to mess with a boot loader because it was the 'Data' hard drive.
    All things considered, I would have prefered that I was the 'System'
    hard drive which had died ! ;-)
    Pham Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:25:46 -0600, "Frank Winans" <net>
    wrote :

    > I'd keep the 'bad' hard disk on the shelf for a few weeks until you
    > find out if the new disk is 'bad' too... because this could be a bad
    > power supply to the whole computer, not a destroyed hard disk drive.
    >[/ref]

    I've ordered a new hard drive.
    As soon as I received it, I will dd the whole partition to the new one
    and try to salvage some data...
    Then I will do a _goddamn_ full format, try the 'badblocks' program, and
    several Go of copy and diff during several weeks before putting anything
    valuable on it anymore !

    To those beginners who read me, make backup ! make backup !
    By the way I can recommand the excellent Disk ARchiver, which I
    unfortunately haven't use on this hard drive....
    Pham Guest

  8. #8

    Pham wrote:

    Ah, experience (be it bad) is a valuable thing :o)

    Just my two cents on backups: I have dedicated an "old" PC (with a brand
    new 60GB disk) which only purpose is to hold backups of all my other PCs
    (I use rsync to backup data and system configuration files).

    The rationale behind this is that two harddisks in two PC won't fail at
    the same time. Hence either my original data disk works (and my backup
    may fail, I just have to run and buy another one :o) or if it fails, the
    data are still on the backup disk.

    Simple.

    Of course, this doesn't protect me from physical destruction of both
    these PCs (fire, earthquake, flood, etc.), but this is reasonably safe.

    For paranoids out there, you might want to rsync this backup disk onto a
    disk at a friend's through Internet (use ssh, of course :o) and your
    friend could do the same for its backup harddisk onto your harddisk.

    AlV Guest

  9. #9

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:16:50 +0100, AlV <spam> wrote :

    > Ah, experience (be it bad) is a valuable thing :o)
    >
    > Just my two cents on backups: I have dedicated an "old" PC (with a
    > brand new 60GB disk) which only purpose is to hold backups of all my
    > other PCs (I use rsync to backup data and system configuration files).
    >
    > The rationale behind this is that two harddisks in two PC won't fail
    > at the same time. Hence either my original data disk works (and my
    > backup may fail, I just have to run and buy another one :o) or if it
    > fails, the data are still on the backup disk.
    >
    > Simple.
    >
    > Of course, this doesn't protect me from physical destruction of both
    > these PCs (fire, earthquake, flood, etc.), but this is reasonably
    > safe.
    >
    > For paranoids out there, you might want to rsync this backup disk onto
    > a disk at a friend's through Internet (use ssh, of course :o) and your
    >
    > friend could do the same for its backup harddisk onto your harddisk.
    >[/ref]

    I'm considering to do the same but with only one computer (one is really
    enough of me) and several hard drive.
    But it's _tempting_ to have all those Gigaoctets and don't use them for
    other things than backup.
    But once the foot is in the door...

    However _big_ (and I mean _biiig_) your hard drive is, it _always_ get
    full.

    Just out of curiosity, have any of your hard drives already failed ?
    It's _good_ to be right... ;-)
    Pham Guest

  10. #10

    Pham wrote:

    Yes, that's the problem :o}

    That's why I built another PC from "old" parts and *a brand new disk*.

    Since my backup server has nothing really useful except for its purpose
    (backups!), I am not tempted to use it for something else.

    Yes.

    One IBM 40GB ATA failed in october 2001 (11 months after its purchase).

    One of my two old (1996!) Quantum 2GB SCSI disk failed in march(?) 2003
    (it contained /usr on my firewall).

    Two weeks ago another IBM 40GB ATA (I had bought it at the same time as
    the one which failed in 10/2001) failed: the replacement has been
    shipped by Hitachi on 13/01/2001 :o)

    Of course these are just my personal PC, in three years in my previous
    work (IT manager), we "destroyed" roughly 15 harddisks in 70 computers
    (servers and PC).

    Hard drive failure is not a legend for me.

    AlV Guest

  11. #11

    > One IBM 40GB ATA failed in october 2001 (11 months after its
    > purchase).
    >
    > One of my two old (1996!) Quantum 2GB SCSI disk failed in march(?)
    > 2003 (it contained /usr on my firewall).
    >
    > Two weeks ago another IBM 40GB ATA (I had bought it at the same time
    > as the one which failed in 10/2001) failed: the replacement has been
    > shipped by Hitachi on 13/01/2001 :o)
    >
    > Of course these are just my personal PC, in three years in my previous
    >
    > work (IT manager), we "destroyed" roughly 15 harddisks in 70 computers
    >
    > (servers and PC).
    >
    > Hard drive failure is not a legend for me.
    >[/ref]

    The hard drive which has died is an IBM too...
    But I was really please with the other one, so I gave another chance to
    IBM (or Hitachi ?) and ordered a new one.
    I wonder if it's common to all hard drive or if Seagate or Maxtor are
    doing better ?

    But I learnt my lesson (the 'hard' way !), and will from this day on,
    make backup !
    Pham Guest

  12. #12

    AlV <spam> writes:

    [...]

    The average quality of today's harddrives has fallen to an almost
    unacceptably low level. On the machines we administer, we had to
    replace at least a dozen HDs (mostly IBM, but also Maxtor and
    WD drives) last year[0]. Seems that there is a direct relation in
    between disk size and useable time. I remember my first 40 MB
    Seagate drives to last almost a decade under permanent use
    (not 24/7, yet daily use on workstations). I guess that if I
    grab them out of the pile of HW in my garage, ing off the dust
    would be all that was needed to make them useable again.

    Michael

    [0] Including one of the 2 HDs on my Linux server, for good
    reasons part of a SW-RAID1. No problems, downtime 10 minutes.

  13. #13

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:16:50 +0100, AlV <spam> wrote:

    I'm looking at that concept as well because with my particular CDRW
    drive, which is flakey or something, I don't trust CDR media for
    backups (although most of the time, they're fine, especially for stuff
    like images where you can afford to lose the odd file to a bad sector
    read - as long as you aren't trying to read an archive file with
    standard utilities that fail on the first bad read.)

    I believe, even with the recent history of hard disk manufacturers
    starting to apparently fail to deliver on their 500,000 to 1,000,000
    MTBF hours claims, that hard disks are still safer than CDRs or tape -
    comparing the lifespan of a tape (used frequently) or a CDR (subject
    to scratches, dye fade, etc.) to the lifespan of a hard drive
    (especially one only used for backups and thus not in constant use) is
    ridiculous. My experience is colored by my particular drive (I've had
    bad reads on backup CDs), but in general I think it is a common
    impression that HDs are more reliable than removable media - as long
    as they aren't in constant heavy use. After all, they are sealed
    media engineered to absorb shock (to some degree) as opposed to
    exposed media like CDRs or moving media like tape which has to be
    retensioned.

    This is the only problem. Of course, your solution below is feasible
    and for businesses is a very good idea. A number of sysadmins
    apparently rysnc their systems to offsite machines these days.
    Rsyncing with hard links to already backed up files minimizes space,
    improves accessibility, and enables speedy restores compared to tape.

    --
    Richard Steven Hack
    "Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

  14. #14

    <net> wrote:

    >> It looks very like a hardware failure to me... I hope you have a
    >> backup.
    >>
    >> Mike-[/ref]
    >I'd keep the 'bad' hard disk on the shelf for a few weeks until you find
    >out if the new disk is 'bad' too... because this could be a bad power
    >supply to the whole computer, not a destroyed hard disk drive.[/ref]

    A bad PS would show motherboard problems too, unless you mean strictly
    12 volt line issues, and even then the ers would cycle and he'd
    hear it.

  15. #15

    Michael Buchenrieder wrote:

    > The average quality of today's harddrives has fallen to an almost
    > unacceptably low level. On the machines we administer, we had to
    > replace at least a dozen HDs (mostly IBM, but also Maxtor and
    > WD drives) last year[0]. Seems that there is a direct relation in
    > between disk size and useable time. I remember my first 40 MB
    > Seagate drives to last almost a decade under permanent use
    > (not 24/7, yet daily use on workstations). I guess that if I
    > grab them out of the pile of HW in my garage, ing off the dust
    > would be all that was needed to make them useable again.
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > [0] Including one of the 2 HDs on my Linux server, for good
    > reasons part of a SW-RAID1. No problems, downtime 10 minutes.[/ref]

    Some people believe that SCSI hard drives are more reliable than IDE
    drives. I do not happen to "know." I have two computers and one has two
    Western Digital Caviar drives. The older is a 1.6 (or so) GBytes - new
    in August 1996 and the newer one is 4.3GByte, bought around May 1998.
    The newer one has so many bad bytes on it that I cannot pass the
    badblock test in Red Hat Linux 9 release.

    My new computer (late January 2000) has two Quantum (now Maxtor) Ultra-2
    SCSI 10,000 rpm hard drives and there have been no failures yet. All of
    these things run (or ran) 24/7; i.e., they are seldom powered down or
    up. (The machines are powered through UPS systems).

    As someone said, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 4:40pm up 10 days, 4:07, 2 users, load average: 2.05, 2.15, 2.16

    Jean-David Guest