Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with PhotoShop CS generated PDF files - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

We received artwork in PDF format to go into one of our magazines. The PDF was created with PhotoShop CS on the Windows platform and included vector based artwork in the form of type with blending options. Imagine a big red X in the middle of a black background. When viewed in Acrobat CS the right 5% of the X appears white with a definite vertical line separating the white and red. It is as if the X shape was the clipping path and a red square image being clipped was moved to the left leaving the right side of ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with PhotoShop CS generated PDF files

    We received artwork in PDF format to go into one of our magazines. The PDF was created with PhotoShop CS on the Windows platform and included vector based artwork in the form of type with blending options.

    Imagine a big red X in the middle of a black background. When viewed in Acrobat CS the right 5% of the X appears white with a definite vertical line separating the white and red. It is as if the X shape was the clipping path and a red square image being clipped was moved to the left leaving the right side of the X exposed as white.

    When I open up the PDF file in PhotoShop CS MAC the X appears correctly and fully red.

    Why does PhotoShop CS generated PDF files appear and print differently in Acrobat CS and how do I resolve this problem?
    Michael Diaz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with PhotoShop CS generated PDF files

    This could just be an artifact that you are seeing in the on-screen preview and it may not show up when you RIP to a Level 3 RIP.

    In Acrobat's Prefs:
    Choose Smoothing.
    In the ensuing dialog, check all options.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It doesn't seem to be an artifact. Even Illustrator CS interprets it as a clipping with an offset fill.

    As for my Acrobat preferences, they are already set that way.

    Any other thoughts?
    Michael Diaz Guest

  4. #4

    Yes - Photoshop can save PDF with vector data, which is an image clipped by a vector outline.

    It does sound like Acrobat CS is incorrectly positioning the image data (Photohop goes to great lengths to prevent that). Please make sure you have the latest updates for Acrobat. If you do and it still happens, contact the Acrobat folks about fixing the bug.

    The good news is that it should print correctly despite the Acrobat display problem.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You might do better if the vector images and type were added in InDesign rather than in Photoshop.
    What you may be seeing is the result of Stitching where transparent vector items are overprinting gradients and rasterized objects and you will have better control over the way such a file may be "flattened" in InDesign.

    A Level 3 RIP would solve a lot of your problems.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest