Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with RH9 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, I use RH9. I opened many heavy-weight applications like a few xls files and few .doc files in OpenOffice and then left the system locked under screen saver overnight. The next day when I tried to unlock and resume my work, the system became very slow and was accessing the hard disk for a very long time. Ultimately I had to log in through telnet and then reboot it by 'reboot' command, as it was hardly responding to anything from keyboard and mouse. My question is, has anyone faced this? Is there any remedy for this? I want ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with RH9

    Hi all,
    I use RH9. I opened many heavy-weight applications like a few xls
    files and few .doc files in OpenOffice and then left the system locked
    under screen saver overnight. The next day when I tried to unlock and
    resume my work, the system became very slow and was accessing the hard
    disk for a very long time. Ultimately I had to log in through telnet and
    then reboot it by 'reboot' command, as it was hardly responding to
    anything from keyboard and mouse.
    My question is, has anyone faced this? Is there any remedy for
    this? I want to use linux full time and this incident was quite irritating.
    Also, we have power controls in MS Win, wherre by the systems
    shuts down etc after a preset period on inactivity. Do we have something
    similar in (RH9) linux? I think that if so, then this might be the
    reason why I faced it.
    Thanks in advance for your kind attention.

    Regards
    Marmagya

    Marmagya Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with RH9

    In comp.os.linux.misc Marmagya <com> wrote:

    You did not mention the system specs which would help us a lot.

    Probably you need either one or a mixture of:

    1) More memory.
    2) To log out after every session.
    3) Not to open as many large apps at once.
    4) Switch to a lighter weight desktop/window manager.

    #1 is your best bet, I don't have less than 384M in any of my desktop
    systems anymore, it helps a lot with Gnome. It's a real pig. OO likes
    memory too. I had to use Gnome and Open Office on a machine at work
    last week that had 128M of RAM. Forget pain the next morning, it was
    bad right off the bat.

    #3 seems silly to me, you should be able to use the computer any way
    you want in these days of cheap powerful systems.

    --
    Jim Buchanan net
    =================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

  3. #3

    Hi,
    I have a Compaq P4 (not sure of MHz) with 512MB RAM, 40GD HDD. I
    have 2 GB of swap space allocated for linux. Still I am getting that
    problem.
    If I boot y system on win2000 and put so much load, it does not
    get thrashed like it does on linux.

    Regards
    Marmagya

    net wrote:

    > You did not mention the system specs which would help us a lot.
    >
    > Probably you need either one or a mixture of:
    >
    > 1) More memory.
    > 2) To log out after every session.
    > 3) Not to open as many large apps at once.
    > 4) Switch to a lighter weight desktop/window manager.
    >
    > #1 is your best bet, I don't have less than 384M in any of my desktop
    > systems anymore, it helps a lot with Gnome. It's a real pig. OO likes
    > memory too. I had to use Gnome and Open Office on a machine at work
    > last week that had 128M of RAM. Forget pain the next morning, it was
    > bad right off the bat.
    >
    > #3 seems silly to me, you should be able to use the computer any way
    > you want in these days of cheap powerful systems.
    >[/ref]

    Marmagya Guest

  4. #4

    I have the same problem, try with a small screensaver, not images or OpenGl
    style, close all your aplications, especially heaviest.
    thats work for me.
    --
    <? function magic_words(){ include("please"); include("thank_you");}?>

    x_sager Guest

  5. #5

    In comp.os.linux.misc Marmagya <com> wrote:

    Then allocate NONE! What on earth is the point of allocating 2GB of
    swap space? Are you deliberately trying to make things run at the
    speed of your hard disk?

    And turn on memory overcommit.

    What makes you think so? Please be accurate in your measurements,
    diagnostics, and report.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  6. #6

    Marmagya <com> writes:

    ]Hi,
    ] I have a Compaq P4 (not sure of MHz) with 512MB RAM, 40GD HDD. I
    ]have 2 GB of swap space allocated for linux. Still I am getting that
    ]problem.

    ?? Why have 2GB os swap? One the system starts to use swap for a
    running program it is pretty useless. swap is incredibly slow memory.

    ] If I boot y system on win2000 and put so much load, it does not
    ]get thrashed like it does on linux.
    What load. It is the size of the programs not the load that is
    important. One lazy program which uses 2GB of memory and wnaders all
    over that memory will be far far slower than a program which keeps the
    cpu busy 100% of the time on litte memory.
    When the system is let sit, a lot of the stuff which is not doing
    anything is swapped out of memory to disk, and needs to be read in
    again. This is worse with lots of swap space.

    ]Regards
    ]Marmagya

    ]net wrote:
    ]> In comp.os.linux.misc Marmagya <com> wrote:
    ]>
[...]

    Bill Guest