Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with rpm - seg fault - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all. I'm using -rather successfully- suse 8.0 k2.4.18. I wanted to install some new software that requires (among other libraries) 'libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)' (and i have glibc-2.2.5-38) so i downloaded and rpm'd glibc-2.3.2-6.i586.rpm. After this update any rpm -i returns segmentation fault. How could i fix this (whitout reinstalling everything) ? Any advice/suggestion? Regards,RObert....

  1. #1

    Default Problem with rpm - seg fault

    Hi all.

    I'm using -rather successfully- suse 8.0 k2.4.18.

    I wanted to install some new software that requires (among other
    libraries) 'libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)' (and i have glibc-2.2.5-38) so i
    downloaded and rpm'd glibc-2.3.2-6.i586.rpm.

    After this update any rpm -i returns segmentation fault.

    How could i fix this (whitout reinstalling everything) ?
    Any advice/suggestion?

    Regards,RObert.

    RRB Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with rpm - seg fault

    RRB <gmx.at> wrote:

    Congrats, you have effectively made your system unusable by
    updating the most critical lib with a version which isn't suited
    for your distro.

    Boot from rescue image, mount your partitions somewhere and
    relocate glibc*.rpm use "rpm --relocate .." to reinstall the rpm
    package (man rpm). After that you might need to rebuild the rpm
    db "--rebuilddb' or '--initdb'.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Heiming wrote:

    > Congrats, you have effectively made your system unusable by
    > updating the most critical lib with a version which isn't suited
    > for your distro.[/ref]

    oops! Effectively i was somewhat in doubt before i pressed enter after
    typing the command as root...

    I must say that the system is not completely unusable, so far only rpm
    does not work, other things i tryed go rather normally, the system boots
    correctly, lets log in, network works correct, almost everything is
    ok...i haven't yet tryed gcc or ld...
     [/ref]

    So, with rpm --relocate glibc-2.3.2-6.i586.rpm (that's the new one) i
    should fix?
    Or should i make rpm --relocate with the older one?

    In this case the problem of execution of newer software remains, and
    more, there's really no way, without reinstalling, to update libraries?

    Thanks again.

    RRB Guest

  4. #4

    RRB <gmx.at> wrote:

    > > Congrats, you have effectively made your system unusable by
    > > updating the most critical lib with a version which isn't suited
    > > for your distro.[/ref][/ref]

    You should be sure what you are doing if you are running as root
    if using 'rpm --nodeps/--force ...'
    [..] [/ref]

    You should try relocating/installing the older one of course,
    since the newer doesn't work.

    Albeit not impossible to run with multiple glibc versions, it
    does require some work, so updating the whole system should be
    easier, if you are not sure what you are doing.

  5. #5

    Michael Heiming wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    Sure! Luckily its not my main machine... I've done something stupid
    betting to succeed and now i'm trying to share this experience...

    > You should try relocating/installing the older one of course,
    > since the newer doesn't work.[/ref]

    I have now tryed almost everything:
    boot,login,X,windowmanager,mozilla,network,interne t surfing,image
    viewing(xv..),ext3 module,scsi modules: all OK BUT rpm -i.

    Very strange isn't it? If it were a production machine, the customer
    would hardly notice the difference.
    Perhaps some programs even run BETTER! :-)

    At this point reinstalling may not be an issue, perhaps fixing rpm -i in
    some way ??

    > Albeit not impossible to run with multiple glibc versions, it
    > does require some work, so updating the whole system should be
    > easier, if you are not sure what you are doing.
    >[/ref]

    Not multiple versions but the newer version.

    ...and yes, at this point i'm not very sure of what i'm doing, but i go
    on until i freeze everything :-) (the classical trial-fail-learn)

    RRB Guest

  6. #6

    "RRB" <gmx.at> wrote in message

    > > Albeit not impossible to run with multiple glibc versions, it
    > > does require some work, so updating the whole system should be
    > > easier, if you are not sure what you are doing.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Not multiple versions but the newer version.
    >
    > ..and yes, at this point i'm not very sure of what i'm doing, but i go
    > on until i freeze everything :-) (the classical trial-fail-learn)[/ref]

    I got a present for you. It's called "rpm2cpio", and it should be able to
    strip the contents of an RPM into a cpio file. You can even run it from an
    installation CD. Then, you can use cpio to extract the files from the cpio
    file and install them in place on your root file system to replace your old
    version of RPM. *THEN* you use the new rpm binaries to rpm update rpm
    package itself, and you should be cooking with gas.

    Ran into this updating a RedHat 7.1 system to Fedora by hand. It was
    painful, but possible.

    Nico Guest

  7. #7

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    .... [/ref][/ref]

    Hmmm, that sounds interesting.
    I've heard before of rpm2cpio but never used it, as far as i remember...
    Will give it a try, (first i have to find -on rpmfind perhaps- e newer
    rpm version that fits)...

    Robert.

    RRB Guest

  8. #8

    RRB <gmx.at> wrote: [/ref]
    > ... [/ref]

    Here's another present for you , useful if dealing with
    uninstalled rpm packages.

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Name: rpmget.sh
    # Verbrecher: Michael Heiming <de>
    # Date: 2003-01-09
    #
    # Function: List or extract one or multipe packages
    # from uninstalled rpm package
    #

    RPMFILE=${1}
    PAT=${2}
    pgm="rpmget.sh"
    version="1.1"
    last_mod="2003-02-18"
    authorinfo="Michael Heiming <de>"
    copyright="Distrib.: GPL"
    intro="$pgm ver $version $last_mod $authorinfo $copyright\n
    \tExtract one ore more matching file(s) from an uninstalled rpm
    package\n"
    usage="Usage: $pgm <rpmfile> [<string-to-match>][-l][-h]\n"

    if ! ( which rpm2cpio > /dev/null )
    then
    echo "rpm2cpio not found, fix your broken system!"
    exit 1
    fi

    RPMCPIO=`which rpm2cpio`

    if [ $# -ne 2 ]
    then
    echo -e $intro $usage
    exit 1
    fi

    case "$2" in
    -l)
    # list only
    $RPMCPIO $RPMFILE | cpio -it
    ;;

    -h)
    # Display help
    echo -e $intro $helpmsg
    ;;

    *)
    # check if pattern is in rpm package
    if [ `$RPMCPIO $RPMFILE | cpio -it | grep -c "$PAT"` -eq 0 ]
    then
    echo "No match, try -l to list contents, -h for help"
    exit 1
    fi
    # unpack stuff
    for i in `$RPMCPIO $RPMFILE | cpio -it | grep "$PAT"`; \
    do $RPMCPIO $RPMFILE |cpio -idmv $i ;done
    exit 1
    esac

    ### END ###

  9. #9

    Default Re: Problem with rpm - seg fault - nearly solved

    Michael Heiming wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    (hehehe...verbrecher! .... :-) (ja programmierer/hackers sind auch
    manchmal verbrecher... :-))

    ...like Gene Wilder in 'Young Frankenstein' : IT...COULD...WORK!!

    $ i downloaded rpm-4.0.1-0.5x.i386.rpm (because it was the one after
    3.0.6=the actual one that gives seg fault) from rpmfind;

    # cd /tmp

    # rpm2cpio rpm-4*rpm | cpio -idV;

    # cp -b ./bin/rpm /bin/rpm (-b just to retain the old-unusable...)

    # rpm -vv -U --force rpm-4*rpm (-vv to see what happens,and --force to
    override complaint about glibc>2.1.92)

    # rpm -i <some-nice-gui-program>

    $ execute-the-nice-program (it fires up)

    voila'. ehm... a problem remains....
    every rpm gives: error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored (3,4 times
    or so...)

    gracias nico,danke michael for the 'presents',
    Roberto.

    RRB Guest