Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with selecting multiple objects - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi there. I have just started to use Illustrator CS. As old CorelDRAW user I have a problem with selecting multiple objects in next way: I would like to select (using any of selecting tools) object only if they are surrounded completely and not by their part only. Imagine you have say 50 small objects in front of many big objects. How can I select all small ones with one action without the big ones? In CorelDRAW I would use the select tool, press the left mouse button and surround them - starting outside the big one off course. Objects ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with selecting multiple objects

    Hi there.

    I have just started to use Illustrator CS. As old CorelDRAW user I have a problem with selecting multiple objects in next way: I would like to select (using any of selecting tools) object only if they are surrounded completely and not by their part only. Imagine you have say 50 small objects in front of many big objects. How can I select all small ones with one action without the big ones? In CorelDRAW I would use the select tool, press the left mouse button and surround them - starting outside the big one off course. Objects that are not totally within the "selection field" are not selected. And it does not matter are they in front or in the back.
    The "Select by path only" in Illustrator CS is not enough, it also selects the object if you cover just a part of it. Changing the view (outline) also does not help.

    Is there a way? Please help.
    Borislav_Djukanovic@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with selecting multiple objects

    Not possible. seelction tools work the way they work.

    If it helps to hear, I too had the same problem adjusting. Now, it seems as it jsu about all hte programs I use work theis way, and I like it. It lets me select several large items with one small drag, without zooming out.

    There have been some requests for a selection marquee tool like you want in the Feature Requests forum. I'd prefer a preference, rather than a fifth selection tool.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Rather than a preference I would like to see a modifier key in conjunction with the Selection Tools. FreeHand has an option for its Selection Tools, that's half right. Corel Draw or Canvas provide a more elegant solution: Dragging with the Selection Tool is size sensitive, Alt Drag not (Draw). The same in Canvas, but instead of the Alt key it is the Ctrl key that switches the selection modes.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Borislav,

    The usual way to do what you want in Illustrator is to work with layers and sublayers, putting the big objects that are behind the little objects on a different layer. Then when you want to work with the foreground without changing the background, you lock the background, either by clicking on the Lock box in the Layers palette, or by using the Lock Selection command (Ctrl-2) followed by Unlock All (Ctrl-Alt-2). I prefer the Layers palette way, since you can unlock just some of the objects instead of all of them. But some people prefer the command way since they like keyboard shortcuts.
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Drag your marquis to select your crossed paths, but watch out for CENTERPOINTS of objects drawn with the Rectangle or Oval tools. Including them inadvertently will select an object without ever touching its path. You can see these centerpoints in the Outline mode. If something you don't want gets selected, Hold down Shift + Alt and put a quick click on, or a second drag across a line to deselect the unwanted object.
    I almost never turn on the Area Select option as I prefer the Line Select method.
    Kohnitz@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry, Kohnitz, but your suggestion is no appropriate substitute for a straightforward size sensitive selection mode that is available in other programs like Corel Draw or Canvas. Also, fiddling around, locking, unlocking, hiding and showing objects in the Layers Palette is way too complicated in many situations.

    Fact is that Illustrator does not provide this kind of selection mode and, unfortunately, does not have a comparably efficient alternative.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Well, it was a question asking for help with doing something in Illustrator now, as it is. It wasn't a Feature Request thread.

    So whatever suggestions Kohnitz or anyone else can give would seem to be appropriate.
    Teri Guest

  8. #8

    Of course, Teri. And of course it wasn't intended as an attack to whatever is suggested here. But in cases like this one it isn't that bad to repeat and underline that the requested functionality is not there at the moment. May it help or not. I'm always trying to provide reasonable - and yes, sometimes also crazy - workarounds here, but when talking about a size sensitive selection mode like Borislav enjoyed to use in Corel Draw, the simple answer is: Sorry, that's not available in Illustrator right now. Pretty sure that all workarounds or workarounds of workarounds are not what you're really looking for.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanx for giving me answers for the "problem". Now I understand that the solution is to get used to work without such selection or to get lucky in some future versions.

    Anyway, the layers solution could be the answer, but I have some previous doents (CDR or EPS) and opening or placing them in CS in that manner is another issue. Actually, I haven't tried to do such a thing but it sounds rather crazy. The EPS I was trying to place in CS was with many letters (curves) and that is the way how the "problem" was born.

    Kurt is right, I have to say. They could make the modifier to the tool. This way of selecting makes work much faster, I think.

    But, something is missing. Kohnitz mentioned CENTERPOINTS. Is it that he is wrong or I did not understand? The points in the objects outline are not in "selection field" when I perform the selecting but the object is selected anyway. Which is it?
    Borislav_Djukanovic@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Borislav, Kohnitz was referring to the centre points of (single) objects that can be turned on or off in the Attributes Palette. These points are always visible when you select objects while the Show Edges option is enabled in the View menu or - if Show Edges is disabled - in Outline view (View menu).
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thanx for the reply.
    Yes, I see now. That is another way to select the object (nice to know it), but I was thinking that it is a partial solution to the problem - hell no, it just got worse! :-).
    Just one question more: any changes in Illustrator CS2 considering this matter?
    Borislav_Djukanovic@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    any changes in Illustrator CS2 considering this matter?

    No, Borislav, the same is valid in CS 2.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thank you.
    Borislav_Djukanovic@adobeforums.com Guest