Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with Tifs - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Photos saved in tif format do not show up in a slideshow program, Still Life or in Apple's Mail program. I have OS X Panther. Message window in Mail is a big blank space but it does send and the receiver can download the picture and it does open. The Still Life slideshow program shows some of these tifs but not others for some reason. The pictures are not there and just black. Apple tech had me open one of these same pictures in Preview and then export it as a tif and it works. Is there an incompatibility with ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with Tifs

    Photos saved in tif format do not show up in a slideshow program, Still Life or in Apple's Mail program. I have OS X Panther. Message window in Mail is a big blank space but it does send and the receiver can download the picture and it does open. The Still Life slideshow program shows some of these tifs but not others for some reason. The pictures are not there and just black.

    Apple tech had me open one of these same pictures in Preview and then export it as a tif and it works. Is there an incompatibility with Panther somehow?

    Thanks.
    Beverly
    Beverly_Skalisky@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with Tifs

    Beverly,

    Although I'm not a MAC user, this sounds like some of your TIFF images MAY be compressed (LZW compression) and your slide show program doesn't do compressed TIFFs. Also the TIFF format uses many types of LZW compression techniques (there are over 50 of them) and since they are copyrighted, one reader won't recognize them all. Could this be your problem?

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Beverly,

    I'm not understanding from your post how this relates to the functions of Photoshop Elements. I'm not familiar with Still Life. I do know that many of us who upgraded to Panther are unable to use the email function of PSE.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Whenever you start working with TIF files, you introduce a number of different factors that can present a problem for some viewers. There are different compression techniques that are sometimes used, and some of these techniques may not be compatible with the viewer. I don't think you will gain anything by trying to convert photos to TIF format for viewing on a computer. The main advantage to using the TIF format would be for creating high-resolution, uncompressed files for high-definition printing. If I'm preparing a bunch of pictures to be viewed on a computer, I almost always leave them in JPEG format.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Beverly, I don't think TIFF files can show up in mail as inline attachments if that's what you mean--you need jpgs for that. Tiffs might work but you'd need to wait a reaaallllly long time for files that large, and I doubt mail is designed to display them. You would need to send them as attachments.

    If your problem is mailing attachments, well, that's a whole other can of worms.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    1. Compressed TIFF's wont show up in a "thumbnail" type viewer. As others
    have mentioned there isn't a single compression standard. So you'll either
    get nothing or a black rectangle.

    2. The reason the open and export worked is almost certainly because the
    exported copy was not compressed. I've had the problem when going from MS's
    DIS 9 to PE. DIS 9 by default compresses TIFF files. PE will open them ok
    but I can't see thumbnails. So after I open it in PE I have to do a save as
    and uncheck the compression option. Haven't used DIS 9 enough to find a
    place to turn off compression but there must be one. Then again it's MS
    software so maybe there isn't.

    3. TIFF's (even compressed) are too big for email in most cases. The MTA's
    (Mail Transfer Agents) that relay your email around the Internet 'til it
    reaches it's destination each have their own characteristics. One of them
    is a maximum message size. If you exceed that size the MTA will either
    throw the message away, truncate it, or split it into several messages. If
    it's split your recipient had better have a mail server (or email client)
    that can reconstruct the original otherwise it's just a collection of
    electronic sawdust.

    <com> wrote in message
    Life or in Apple's Mail program. I have OS X Panther. Message window in Mail
    is a big blank space but it does send and the receiver can download the
    picture and it does open. The Still Life slideshow program shows some of
    these tifs but not others for some reason. The pictures are not there and
    just black.
    export it as a tif and it works. Is there an incompatibility with Panther
    somehow?

    Redmondite Guest