Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with using two NIC devices - Windows Networking

I have a problem with using two NIC cards, Windows XP forgets witch LAN connection use get to the web with. The network that I want to use for web connection uses a domain and the other uses just a workgroup If you could give me a hint on how to make my web brouser to look at just one connection not both, it would be a great help Thank You Michael C Hodge...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with using two NIC devices

    I have a problem with using two NIC cards, Windows XP
    forgets witch LAN connection use get to the web with.
    The network that I want to use for web connection uses a
    domain and the other uses just a workgroup

    If you could give me a hint on how to make my web brouser
    to look at just one connection not both, it would be a
    great help

    Thank You
    Michael C Hodge
    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with using two NIC devices

    In article <453501c340bc$514ac5f0$a401280aphx.gbl>, "Michael"
    <mhodgewausaumosinee.com> wrote:
    >I have a problem with using two NIC cards, Windows XP
    >forgets witch LAN connection use get to the web with.
    >The network that I want to use for web connection uses a
    >domain and the other uses just a workgroup
    >
    >If you could give me a hint on how to make my web brouser
    >to look at just one connection not both, it would be a
    >great help
    >
    >Thank You
    >Michael C Hodge
    In the Network Connections folder, right click and Enable the
    connection that you want to use for web access. Right click and
    Disable the one that you don't want to use.

    If you need to use both connections at once (one for Internet, one for
    LAN), assign a metric to each connection, giving a lower number to the
    one that you want to use for Internet access. To assign a metric to a
    network connection:

    1. Open the Network Connections folder.
    2. Right click the desired connection.
    3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    4. Click Properties | Advanced.
    5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
    6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    >I'm currently testing out a new internet connection and
    have two NICs installed. I'd like to be able to disable
    one and have all traffic go through the remaining one.

    However, I don't seem to be able to get traffic going out
    the 'new' interface once the previous one is disabled.

    Both are using hard-coded addresses and default gateways.

    I have tried clearing the arp cache (arp -d *).
    Displaying the route table with Netstat seems to show
    only the information for the enabled NIC, but I am unable
    to ping even the default gateway.

    Restarting with just the one NIC and everything works
    immediately.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    doug Guest