Professional Web Applications Themes

problems accessing a remote (linux) database from a windows gui - IBM DB2

Hi all I am trying to access a database created on a linux system running db/2 8.1 fp3 from a windows gui running the same fp of 8.1 the db was created using "create database radius on /databases " and then populated using a script I wrote. When i am logged onto the linux box, using the cli i can connect to view and manage the database. however, if i am using a windoze GUI ( tried both a 7.2 and 8.1 version) I get :- SQL30061N The database alias or database name name was not found at the remote ...

  1. #1

    Default problems accessing a remote (linux) database from a windows gui

    Hi all
    I am trying to access a database created on a linux system running
    db/2 8.1 fp3 from a windows gui running the same fp of 8.1
    the db was created using "create database radius on /databases " and
    then populated using a script I wrote.

    When i am logged onto the linux box, using the cli i can connect to
    view and manage the database.

    however, if i am using a windoze GUI ( tried both a 7.2 and 8.1
    version)
    I get :-

    SQL30061N The database alias or database name name was not found at
    the remote node.

    Explanation: The database name is not an existing database at the
    remote database node.

    The statement cannot be processed.

    User Response: Resubmit the command with the correct database name or
    alias.

    Federated system users: check to ensure that the entry in
    SYSCAT.SERVERS correctly specifies the database name of the data
    source.

    sqlcode: -30061

    sqlstate: 08004

    The alias its looking for is "RADIUS "

    Another database I've got on the same linux box works fine from the
    same windoze platform.

    Can anyone suggest what is wrong in this case? is it possibly a case
    of incorrect permissions?

    Alex
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    "Alex" <A.Sharazhull.ac.uk> wrote in message
    news:b270c055.0309180151.74585dd8posting.google.c om...
    > Hi all
    > I am trying to access a database created on a linux system running
    > db/2 8.1 fp3 from a windows gui running the same fp of 8.1
    > the db was created using "create database radius on /databases " and
    > then populated using a script I wrote.
    >
    > When i am logged onto the linux box, using the cli i can connect to
    > view and manage the database.
    >
    > however, if i am using a windoze GUI ( tried both a 7.2 and 8.1
    > version)
    > I get :-
    >
    > SQL30061N The database alias or database name name was not found at
    > the remote node.
    >
    > Explanation: The database name is not an existing database at the
    > remote database node.
    >
    > The statement cannot be processed.
    >
    > User Response: Resubmit the command with the correct database name or
    > alias.
    >
    > Federated system users: check to ensure that the entry in
    > SYSCAT.SERVERS correctly specifies the database name of the data
    > source.
    >
    > sqlcode: -30061
    >
    > sqlstate: 08004
    >
    > The alias its looking for is "RADIUS "
    >
    > Another database I've got on the same linux box works fine from the
    > same windoze platform.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what is wrong in this case? is it possibly a case
    > of incorrect permissions?
    >
    > Alex
    Did you use Client Configuration Assistant to catalog the remote database?

    Mark A Guest

  3. #3

    The first thing to do would be to check the database catalogs and make
    sure that 'radius' on the client system is cataloged to the remote node
    that represents the linux system. (db2 list db directory, and db2 list
    node directory). If it's cataloged correctly, make sure that the comms
    service (tcp etc) is set up on the linux box.

    Alex wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am trying to access a database created on a linux system running
    > db/2 8.1 fp3 from a windows gui running the same fp of 8.1
    > the db was created using "create database radius on /databases " and
    > then populated using a script I wrote.
    >
    > When i am logged onto the linux box, using the cli i can connect to
    > view and manage the database.
    >
    > however, if i am using a windoze GUI ( tried both a 7.2 and 8.1
    > version)
    > I get :-
    >
    > SQL30061N The database alias or database name name was not found at
    > the remote node.
    >
    > Explanation: The database name is not an existing database at the
    > remote database node.
    >
    > The statement cannot be processed.
    >
    > User Response: Resubmit the command with the correct database name or
    > alias.
    >
    > Federated system users: check to ensure that the entry in
    > SYSCAT.SERVERS correctly specifies the database name of the data
    > source.
    >
    > sqlcode: -30061
    >
    > sqlstate: 08004
    >
    > The alias its looking for is "RADIUS "
    >
    > Another database I've got on the same linux box works fine from the
    > same windoze platform.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what is wrong in this case? is it possibly a case
    > of incorrect permissions?
    >
    > Alex
    Sean McKeough Guest

  4. #4

    Alex,

    It sounds like you've got a mismatch somewhere when you configured your
    client connection.

    You can either check this in the Client Configuration Assistant GUI or
    from the command line.

    Assuming you are using TCP/IP as the connection method.

    You specify the DNS name (or IP address) of the database server and the
    port number on which the DB2 instance is listening. You can check the
    settings for this using the command LIST NODE DIRECTORY.

    You then will have cataloged the database. The "Database Name" is the
    name of the database as found on the server. The "Database Alias" can be
    anything you want, but is what you use in your "CONNECT to db" string on
    the client. You have to specify the node name as mentioned above. You
    can check these setting using the command LIST DB DIRECTORY.

    HTH

    Phil

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 02:51:29 -0700, Alex wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am trying to access a database created on a linux system running
    > db/2 8.1 fp3 from a windows gui running the same fp of 8.1
    > the db was created using "create database radius on /databases " and
    > then populated using a script I wrote.
    >
    > When i am logged onto the linux box, using the cli i can connect to
    > view and manage the database.
    >
    > however, if i am using a windoze GUI ( tried both a 7.2 and 8.1
    > version)
    > I get :-
    >
    > SQL30061N The database alias or database name name was not found at
    > the remote node.
    >
    > Explanation: The database name is not an existing database at the
    > remote database node.
    >
    > The statement cannot be processed.
    >
    > User Response: Resubmit the command with the correct database name or
    > alias.
    >
    > Federated system users: check to ensure that the entry in
    > SYSCAT.SERVERS correctly specifies the database name of the data
    > source.
    >
    > sqlcode: -30061
    >
    > sqlstate: 08004
    >
    > The alias its looking for is "RADIUS "
    >
    > Another database I've got on the same linux box works fine from the
    > same windoze platform.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what is wrong in this case? is it possibly a case
    > of incorrect permissions?
    >
    > Alex
    Philip Nelson Guest