Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems Browsing Default Web Site and IISADMIN on IIS 5.0 - ASP Components

HELP! This problem is driving me crazy. All other web sites that are being served out through this server are working, including sites and virtual directories that are under the Default Web Site, yet when I attempt to browse the Default Web Site I get this error: The page cannot be displayed There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed. ----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------- Please try the following: Click the Refresh button, or try again later. Open the [url]www.domainname.com[/url] home page, and then look for links to the information you want. HTTP 500.100 ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems Browsing Default Web Site and IISADMIN on IIS 5.0

    ---------------------

    Please try the following:

    Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    Open the [url]www.domainname.com[/url] home page, and then look for
    links to the information you want.
    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    Internet Information Services

    ---------------------

    Error Type:
    (0x80090020)
    An internal error occurred.
    /localstart.asp, line 18

    Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET
    CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

    Page:
    GET /localstart.asp

    Time:
    Friday, February 06, 2004, 2:58:49 PM

    More information:
    Microsoft Support

    Similarly, when I attempt to browse the Administration Web
    Site I get this error:

    Unable to connect to the Active Directory Service Object.
    Error:-2146893792

    I have been looking around the newsgroups for fixes to
    these problems, and have found that it possibly could be a
    IIS Metabase issue, but I am still not sure.

    These problems seem to have cropped up after a problem we
    had with this servers clock running wild, a problem that
    was reported fixed in Service Pack 4. This server is also
    a Enterprise Certificate Authority and when the clock was
    running wild it caused thousands of certificates to be
    issued. Well, in the certificate clean up process, I read
    in several newsgroups and web articles that along with
    deleting the certificates from the Certificate Store and
    deleting the Root Certificates from the Active Directory,
    I should also backup and delete the contents of the
    \Doents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys. After completing
    these steps I rebooted the server. When the server came
    back up I had a REAL problem on my hands. I would say 90%
    of the server failed to start. Needless to say this was
    bad. I figured it had something to do with the
    MachineKeys Folder being empty. So I restored the folder
    to its original state, and rebooted. The server came back
    up without an error. So I figured that there must be some
    files that are needed. I checked which files were in this
    folder on another functioning machine, and found that
    there only a few. I opened these files, and found that
    each file was marked with by IIS, DCOM, etc. I then
    returned to the machine with all of the bad certificates,
    and did a "Find" on the MachineKeys Directory looking for
    files with IIS, DCOM, etc contained within them. After
    finding each of the files that were on the functioning
    server, I did a backup of the MachineKeys folder and
    deleted the the files that were not needed, then
    rebooted. The server came back up without an error.

    The problem was fixed, or so I thought, but ever since
    this happened I have not been able to access the Default
    Web Site or the IISADMIN Web Site. Reinstalling IIS is
    not really a viable option, too many things I have loaded
    depend on IIS. I am hoping to be able to restore IIS and
    IISAdmin back to their default installed condition using
    other means. I have tried restoring the MachineKeys
    Folder, I thought that maybe I missed a file, but it
    didn't help.

    Any help on this problem would really be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    -John
    John Caruthers Guest

  2. #2

    "John Caruthers" <jecaruthersjrcybernet-corp.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > and did a "Find" on the MachineKeys Directory looking for
    > files with IIS, DCOM, etc contained within them. After
    > finding each of the files that were on the functioning
    > server, I did a backup of the MachineKeys folder and
    > deleted the the files that were not needed, then
    > rebooted. The server came back up without an error.
    >
    > The problem was fixed, or so I thought, but ever since
    > this happened I have not been able to access the Default
    > Web Site or the IISADMIN Web Site. Reinstalling IIS is
    > not really a viable option, too many things I have loaded
    > depend on IIS. I am hoping to be able to restore IIS and
    > IISAdmin back to their default installed condition using
    > other means. I have tried restoring the MachineKeys
    > Folder, I thought that maybe I missed a file, but it
    > didn't help.
    >
    > Any help on this problem would really be appreciated.
    That's an unusual error most commonly associated with CDONTS. Maybe it's a
    permissions issue with the folder? The best I can offer this to look at
    what code is called on line 18 of localstart.asp and start from there ...

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running IIS

    Tom Kaminski [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for responding. I would like to apologize for not
    including the that information here is line 18.

    Set infoobj=GetObject("IIS://localhost/w3svc/info")

    Thanks

    - John

    John Caruthers Guest