Professional Web Applications Themes

problems connecting to database from outside. - ASP Database

Hi,I haven't been able to figure this out. I'm able to connect to a database using the internal url (servername:...), but not using the domain name which connects it to the outside. when I use :[url]http://servername:8080/flashmxASadvancedfromthesource/[/url] Lesson12/Completed/index.asp The flash application register/login username and password works with no problems. But from outside, I can't use my loging/registration flash application: [url]http://fstutorials.redirectme.net/flashmxASadvancedfromthes[/url] ource/Lesson12/Completed/index.asp I used to host this website on ladhost, and it worked then. Can some one guide me to what may be causeing this. I keep reading IIS Manual, and trying new route, but nothing. How can I trace and see ...

  1. #1

    Default problems connecting to database from outside.

    Hi,I haven't been able to figure this out.

    I'm able to connect to a database using the internal url
    (servername:...), but not using the domain name which
    connects it to the outside.

    when I
    use :[url]http://servername:8080/flashmxASadvancedfromthesource/[/url]
    Lesson12/Completed/index.asp
    The flash application register/login username and password
    works with no problems.
    But from outside, I can't use my loging/registration flash
    application:
    [url]http://fstutorials.redirectme.net/flashmxASadvancedfromthes[/url]
    ource/Lesson12/Completed/index.asp

    I used to host this website on ladhost, and it worked then.

    Can some one guide me to what may be causeing this. I keep
    reading IIS Manual, and trying new route, but nothing.
    How can I trace and see where the connection stops?

    Please
    help
    David
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: problems connecting to database from outside.

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:27:28 -0700, "David"
    <mailmiamitechsolutions.com> wrote:
    >Hi,I haven't been able to figure this out.
    >
    >I'm able to connect to a database using the internal url
    >(servername:...), but not using the domain name which
    >connects it to the outside.
    >
    >when I
    >use :[url]http://servername:8080/flashmxASadvancedfromthesource/[/url]
    >Lesson12/Completed/index.asp
    >The flash application register/login username and password
    >works with no problems.
    >But from outside, I can't use my loging/registration flash
    >application:
    >[url]http://fstutorials.redirectme.net/flashmxASadvancedfromthes[/url]
    >ource/Lesson12/Completed/index.asp
    >
    >I used to host this website on ladhost, and it worked then.
    >
    >Can some one guide me to what may be causeing this. I keep
    >reading IIS Manual, and trying new route, but nothing.
    >How can I trace and see where the connection stops?
    First, you need to tell us exactly what you mean by "it doesn't work."
    Give us error messages, event log entries, log entries and so on.

    Most likely you have a coding issue, but you need to test this by
    trying a basic HTML file, then an ASP file, then an ASP that connects
    to your database. Use Response.Write liberally to display the
    variables and strings involved. If it really is a connection issue,
    make sure the connection string and paths are actually available from
    outside your network.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran Guest

  3. #3

    I'm able to use a username/password application to login
    into my webserver directory by using the
    servername:port...; I'm
    unable to login using the localhost, or outside domain.
    I can see the the page, but it doesn't respond.
    It doen't give me an error because is done in flash.
    BUt it work s from the inside using the
    [url]http://servername:port/[/url]...
    Why?

    There has to be a security feature not allowing ASP data
    to flow using localhost or a domain. Like I said, using
    the servername:port works with no problem.
    I'm using flash-xml to send data to an asp form that store
    information inside a database.

    [url]http://fstutorials.redirectme.net/flashmxASadvancedfromthes[/url]
    ource/Lesson12/Completed/index.asp

    Thanks in advance.
    David

    David Guest

  4. #4

    Are you including the port when you specify the URL using the domain name?
    Is there a firewall between the system and the "outside" when using the
    domain name? Can you show the code for the page that "doesn't work"? Create
    an HTML page that performs the same login request as your flash piece. What
    do you get if you use that?

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:40:50 -0700, "David"
    <maimiamitechsolutions.com> wrote:
    >I'm able to use a username/password application to login
    >into my webserver directory by using the
    >servername:port...; I'm
    >unable to login using the localhost, or outside domain.
    >I can see the the page, but it doesn't respond.
    >It doen't give me an error because is done in flash.
    >BUt it work s from the inside using the
    >[url]http://servername:port/[/url]...
    >Why?
    >
    >There has to be a security feature not allowing ASP data
    >to flow using localhost or a domain.
    Unfortunately, there isn't.

    There are any number of reasons that Localhost or an external
    connection may not work, but you need to test these step by step.
    Ping the name and see what it resolves to. Try accessing by IP
    instead of name. Try a "Hello World!" ASP file to test ASP
    functionality.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran Guest

  6. #6

    I will try it outside flash. thanks.
    I'm using a router with the port that the page uses open.
    But I think you maybe right in that something in my router
    is not configured correctly.
    Thanks.
    David

    David Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks
    I will try to go about it outside Flash.
    Sorry for the inconvenience of cross or multi posting
    David

    David Guest