Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems defining video card properties - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have a desktop running RedHat 8.0 with SiS 300 video chip. The problem is that Linux can not detect the card correctly. I finally manually set up the screen properties and I have a reasonable screen image, but there are certain parameters which I do not know how to set up: - The video card memory - The driver Linux opts to have a generic (undefined) value and still seems to work but I would like to have proper values for I assume the quality of the image and the behaviour of the screen would be better. How can ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems defining video card properties

    I have a desktop running RedHat 8.0 with SiS 300 video chip. The problem is
    that Linux can not detect the card correctly. I finally manually set up the
    screen properties and I have a reasonable screen image, but there are
    certain parameters which I do not know how to set up:

    - The video card memory
    - The driver

    Linux opts to have a generic (undefined) value and still seems to work but I
    would like to have proper values for I assume the quality of the image and
    the behaviour of the screen would be better.

    How can I decide on the right values? and how to find and install the right
    driver for the card?

    Thanks

    Carlos
    Carlos Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems defining video card properties

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:14:05 +0200,
    Carlos <garciasuarezya.com> wrote:
    > I have a desktop running RedHat 8.0 with SiS 300 video chip. The problem is
    > that Linux can not detect the card correctly. I finally manually set up the
    > screen properties and I have a reasonable screen image, but there are
    > certain parameters which I do not know how to set up:
    >
    > - The video card memory
    > - The driver
    >
    > Linux opts to have a generic (undefined) value and still seems to work but I
    > would like to have proper values for I assume the quality of the image and
    > the behaviour of the screen would be better.
    >
    > How can I decide on the right values? and how to find and install the right
    > driver for the card?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carlos
    I have a Sis 530 and SiS does distibute a driver for that
    card, but I can't get the card to work with Real player.
    SiS doesn't make there hardware information available
    and their drivers lack crucial support.
    Here is a web page discussing the SiS300/305

    [url]http://linuxdrivers.foundries.sourceforge.net/comments.pl?sid=5572[/url]

    --
    NW Oregon Radio Page [url]HTTP://home.earthlink.net/~kilowattradio/[/url]
    This Message was Sent Using Open Source Redhat Linux Software.

  3. #3

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:08:00 +0200,
    Carlos <garciasuarezya.com> wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    >
    >> [url]http://linuxdrivers.foundries.sourceforge.net/comments.pl?sid=5572[/url]
    >>

    > Thanks, once off the comments in that page talks about a IRQ set up that has
    > to be done for MSI mainboards (which I have).
    >
    > Do you think that could be thing? Do you set that up at the PC start,
    > before Linux is loaded?
    I would give it a try, it can't hurt and if there is kernel panic you can
    reconfigure your system if you need to reboot.

  4. #4

    Carlos wrote:
    > How can I decide on the right values? and how to find and install the
    > right driver for the card?
    [url]http://www.google.com/linux[/url]
    Searched the web for RedHat 8.0 with SiS 300 video.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 116. Search took 0.20 seconds.
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
    but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.

    mjt Guest