Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems printing Mac FHMX files on a PC - Macromedia Freehand

Hi everyone, I've recently created a number of projects in Freehand MX on the Mac in my office at work, and wanted to print the files out at home on my PC which also runs Freehand MX. So to make life easy on myself, I converted all the type to paths and embedded all the EPS images into the doents, and burned the FH files onto a CD. Imagine my shock then, when I loaded the FH files up on my PC at home only to find that the EPS files have turned into a box with an "X" through ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems printing Mac FHMX files on a PC

    Hi everyone,

    I've recently created a number of projects in Freehand MX on the Mac in my office at work, and wanted to print the files out at home on my PC which also runs Freehand MX. So to make life easy on myself, I converted all the type to paths and embedded all the EPS images into the doents, and burned the FH files onto a CD.

    Imagine my shock then, when I loaded the FH files up on my PC at home only to find that the EPS files have turned into a box with an "X" through it, and this is precisely how they print as well! Using the "links" feature I can extract the EPS files and they open in Photoshop perfectly OK, but for some reason FH won't recognise them correctly. Many of the images have transparent edges (for example, images of cars have no background - just the car itself) which need to be kept when imported into Freehand, but on the PC this technique just doesn't seem to work. If I resave the EPS files in Photoshop, FH will still not import them correctly and I can't figure out any other way of importing images into Freehand while still preserving their transparency.

    I was wondering...

    1) Does anyone know why the EPS files are showing in FH as a box with an "X" inside it?
    2) Does anyone know of a workaround for this situation, so that I can place transparent images into FH and print them out correctly (as I can do on the Mac quite easily)?

    Just for the record, I created some files on the Mac in Illustrator v10 and did the same: embedded the EPS files and created outlines of the fonts. Back home on the PC, these files open up perfectly: fonts are OK, EPS images are there and everything looks exactly as it did on the Mac. Surely Freehand should be able to do the same kind of thing?

    I'm using Freehand MX, Windows 2000 SP4, 512MB of RAM.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance!

    Simon Bowland

    SimonBowland webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems printing Mac FHMX files on a PC

    "SimonBowland" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I've recently created a number of projects in Freehand MX on the Mac in my
    office at work, and wanted to print the files out at home on my PC which
    also runs Freehand MX. So to make life easy on myself, I converted all the
    type to paths and embedded all the EPS images into the doents, and burned
    the FH files onto a CD.

    > Imagine my shock then, when I loaded the FH files up on my PC at home only
    to find that the EPS files have turned into a box with an "X" through it,
    and this is precisely how they print as well! Using the "links" feature I
    can extract the EPS files and they open in Photoshop perfectly OK, but for
    some reason FH won't recognise them correctly. Many of the images have
    transparent edges (for example, images of cars have no background - just the
    car itself) which need to be kept when imported into Freehand, but on the PC
    this technique just doesn't seem to work. If I resave the EPS files in
    Photoshop, FH will still not import them correctly and I can't figure out
    any other way of importing images into Freehand while still preserving their
    transparency.

    > I was wondering...
    >
    > 1) Does anyone know why the EPS files are showing in FH as a box with an
    "X" inside it?
    > 2) Does anyone know of a workaround for this situation, so that I can
    place transparent images into FH and print them out correctly (as I can do
    on the Mac quite easily)?

    > Just for the record, I created some files on the Mac in Illustrator v10
    and did the same: embedded the EPS files and created outlines of the fonts.
    Back home on the PC, these files open up perfectly: fonts are OK, EPS images
    are there and everything looks exactly as it did on the Mac. Surely Freehand
    should be able to do the same kind of thing?

    > I'm using Freehand MX, Windows 2000 SP4, 512MB of RAM.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    >

    > Simon Bowland

    You've probably already thought of this but just in case:

    1. On your office computer link the EPS instead of embedding it.
    2. Save the EPS and the FH file onto the CD.
    3. When opening the FH file on the home PC FH will ask for the missing EPS.
    Navigate to its location on the CD and hopefully when selected it will
    appear and print as it should.

    I can't think why it is'nt appearing when embedded.

    Neville Brook

    Neville Guest