Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems setting up Netgear MR814v2 and cable modem (long) - Mac Networking

Hi: I need some advice in getting the wireless feature of the Netgear MR814v2 to work with my daughter's new iBook. Netgear support has not responded to my email request for help. The iBook is a new 900 Mhz model with 640 MB RAM running OS 10.2.8 (and OS 9.2.2) and has an Airport card (regular not Extreme) installed in it. Here was the existing hardware setup before adding the MR814v2: iMac 233 Mhz Rev A , 192 MB RAM, OS 9.0.4 connected via an ethernet cable to a Motorola SB5100 SURFBoard cable modem (ISP is Vista3Media.com). The iMac was ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems setting up Netgear MR814v2 and cable modem (long)

    Hi:

    I need some advice in getting the wireless feature of the Netgear
    MR814v2 to work with my daughter's new iBook. Netgear support has not
    responded to my email request for help.

    The iBook is a new 900 Mhz model with 640 MB RAM running OS 10.2.8 (and
    OS 9.2.2) and has an Airport card (regular not Extreme) installed in it.

    Here was the existing hardware setup before adding the MR814v2:

    iMac 233 Mhz Rev A , 192 MB RAM, OS 9.0.4 connected via an ethernet
    cable to a Motorola SB5100 SURFBoard cable modem (ISP is
    Vista3Media.com).

    The iMac was configured to connect via Ethernet using DHCP Server.

    I used the iMac to connect to the MR814 setup program using Internet
    Explorer 5. Only the iMac, cable modem and MR814 were connected as per
    the MR814 Installation Guide.

    I had problems connecting to the MR814 because I was unable to find a
    way to turn the cable modem off and back on and keep it from connecting
    to the internet as per the Installation Guide instructions. Explorer
    couldn't find the MR814 (the MR814 address is 192.168.0.1).

    Finally, I changed the iMac's TCP/IP preferences from "Configure using
    DHCP server" to a "Configure Manually" using a spoofed IP address. I
    used 192.168.0.2 as per Netgear's instructions and was able to reach the
    setup program.

    I called the Vista3Media.com support line and they said there was no log
    in, password, etc needed to connect to their service and that the MR814
    should automatically configure. So I left everything blank in the setup
    fields. However, whenever I pressed the "Test" button at the end of the
    setup procedure, it would never connect to the Netgear web site (which
    is the test for proper operation).

    However, I found that I could connect to the internet fine with the iMac
    (ie going through the MR814). I changed the iMac's TCP/IP setting back
    to DHCP server and found that I could still connect to the internet
    fine. Then I tried to connect to the MR814 again with the 192.168.0.1
    address and amazingly, this time it worked fine!

    However, I could still not connect to the Netgear web site when pressing
    the "Test" button.

    Just for the heck of it, while I was still trying to get the Test button
    to work, my daughter tried to connect via Airport with her iBook and it
    connected wirelessly to the MR814 just fine. She checked her email,
    connected to Apple.com, etc. We carried the iBook all over her
    townhouse and it stayed connected beatutifully.

    So next I started going through the Wireless settings (about which I
    know nothing) trying to set up some sort of security. Before I got too
    far into it (changing location to United States, changing the name from
    NETGEAR to something else, etc., the wireless connection dropped. And
    no matter what I've done trying to get the settings back to default, I
    can't get the wireless to work again. When trying to open a web page on
    the iBook, Explorer (and Safari) says "Can't find specified server."

    Presently, the iBook is showing a 90% signal strength in its Aiport
    status window, so it seems to be connected wirelessly to the MR 814
    somehow but is unable access web sites or connect to her email account
    with Outlook Express. We entered the IP number for Macintouch home page
    in Explorer and it wouldn't connect so I assume it's not a DNS problem.

    Next we tried running the airport setup on the iBook and it said:

    "The airport setup assistant is finished. The assistant was able to join
    the network "NETGEAR" and has set this computer to use it for wireless
    networking."

    However, Explorer was still not able to connect to web sites.

    We've gone through the turn off, turn on, reboot procedures for the
    cable modem, MR814, iMac, iBook, and turned Airport off then back on,
    etc. with no success. A copy of the MR 814 Router Status report is
    pasted below.

    So the bottom line is that I'm not sure I got the MR814 configured
    properly since the Test button would never work. In addition, it would
    be nice to get the wireless access going, too! Got any ideas on how to
    solve this one?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    Router Status

    Account Name
    Firmware Version Version 5.01 May 09 2003

    Internet Port
    MAC Address 00:09:5b:70:2b:0f
    IP Address 63.171.147.254
    DHCP DHCP Client
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Domain Name Server 65.83.241.167
    65.83.241.165

    LAN Port
    MAC Address 00:09:5b:70:2b:0e
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    DHCP On
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

    Wireless Port
    Name (SSID) NETGEAR
    Region United States
    Channel 11
    Wireless AP On
    Broadcast Name On
    William Guest

  2. #2

    I have a Netgear DG824M dsl modem/router and although it's working
    fine, I don't think I could get it to connect to the Netgear test site
    either so I shouldn't worry too much about that. It may be worth trying
    manual fixed IPs for your connected machines since this made life more
    stable for me. To do this, assign an IP to each machine which is
    outside the range reserved by the router. In my case we used
    192.168.0.100 and upwards. You type this into the TCP/IP window after
    selecting the 'Manually' tab. Be sure also to type in the IP of the
    router which is 192.168.0.1 and the subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and, if
    you wish, the numbers for your ISP's domain name servers.

    Now when you log into the Netgear gateway you should see all the new
    IPs listed under "Attached devices'. For good measure, try using a
    different wi-fi channel, which you can select under 'Wireless
    settings'. We had better results after changing it to '6'.

    Don't bother about setting up 'Trusted PCs' unless you're paranoid
    about security.

    Finally, go the 'LANIP Setup' section and turn off 'Use gateway as DHCP
    server'.

    Make sure that you keep clicking the Apply button at every opportunity.
    After this, log out and back in again and check that all settings have
    stuck. If not, power cycle the router and check again.

    Stan

    In article <msstate.edu>, William

    Stan Guest

  3. #3

    In article <231020030926452063%com>,
    Stan The Man <com> wrote:

    ....my original post snipped due to length...

    Thanks for the info, Stan! Unfortunately, my daughter lives 100 miles
    away so it will several weeks before I'll get a chance to make the
    changes. I did hear from Netgear support a few minutes ago and the tech
    said I should go to their website and download the new firmware. When I
    was trying to get the thing working last week there was no new firmware
    listed so they must have put it up in the past few days.
    William Guest