Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems with ADSL in Win XP - Windows Networking

Hi I'm connected to the Internet via an ADSL/Ethernet 704/128 bps connection, Adapter Type: Ethernet 802.3 - LAN Ethernet: SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1255TX) Via the System Commander boot Manager I have Win XP-pro (sp1) and Win98SE plus Mandrake Linux 9.1 installed in separate, independant partitions (i.e. no dual booting.) The ADSL connection works fine in both Win98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.1, but is extremely unstable in XP. According to the Customer Support at my ISP (Tiscali of Norway) the problem must somehow lie with WinXP, since the connection is stable and working in Win98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.1, plus ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems with ADSL in Win XP

    Hi
    I'm connected to the Internet via an ADSL/Ethernet 704/128 bps
    connection, Adapter Type: Ethernet 802.3 - LAN Ethernet: SMC EZ Card
    10/100 (SMC1255TX)

    Via the System Commander boot Manager I have Win XP-pro (sp1) and
    Win98SE plus Mandrake Linux 9.1 installed in separate, independant
    partitions (i.e. no dual booting.)

    The ADSL connection works fine in both Win98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.1,
    but is extremely unstable in XP. According to the Customer Support at my
    ISP (Tiscali of Norway) the problem must somehow lie with WinXP, since
    the connection is stable and working in Win98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.1,
    plus the fact that the basic connection LEDS on my ADSL router indicate
    that it has stable communication with the Tiscali server. The
    instability manifests itself by OE constantly proclaiming that the mail
    and news servers can't be found, and by IE issuing Not Found messages
    when links are clicked. The problem can be solved, temporarily, by doing
    a disable followed by an enable operation on the LAN card in Network
    Connections, but this "cure" seldom lasts more than 5-10 minutes. I have
    downloaded the latest driver from SMC and deinstalled/reinstalled the
    card in Device Manager more than once. (When trying to update the SMC
    driver from within Device Manager I invariably get the message that the
    best driver is already installed, so the old driver is kept...)

    Any ideas on what can/should be done?
    Trond Ruud,
    Norway

    Trond Ruud Guest

  2. #2

    Hello, Trond -

    Try shutting off the DNS Client service on your machine.

    Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage".
    Under "Services and Applications" stop and then disable
    the "DNS Client" service. This should fix you right up.

    Windows XP removes servers from it's list of available
    DNS servers if they don't respond within an appropriate
    time - eventually you can be left with no DNS servers.

    You don't need the DNS Client service unless you're part
    of a Win2k or later domain.

    Good luck!

    allan grossman [ms-mvp] Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problems with ADSL in Win XP

    Thanks Allan
    I havent been on much tonight, but so far your receipe seems to be
    working! Sure is a relief after my weeks of endless disable/enable
    ethernet exercises just to download the e-mail.
    I was about to give up on XP and go back to Win98SE or switch to
    Mandrake Linux after all the internet problems in XP, but with several
    hundred $ worth of win32 software, leaving Windows wasn't much of an
    option.
    Microsoft should make disabling the "DNS Client" service part of future
    XP upgrades/patches I think.

    Thank you
    Trond Ruud,
    Norway

    In news:0b9501c34ac6$1c7733e0$a101280aphx.gbl,
    allan grossman [ms-mvp] <abuselocalhost> wrote this:
    > Hello, Trond -
    >
    > Try shutting off the DNS Client service on your machine.
    >
    > Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage".
    > Under "Services and Applications" stop and then disable
    > the "DNS Client" service. This should fix you right up.
    >
    > Windows XP removes servers from it's list of available
    > DNS servers if they don't respond within an appropriate
    > time - eventually you can be left with no DNS servers.
    >
    > You don't need the DNS Client service unless you're part
    > of a Win2k or later domain.
    >
    > Good luck!
    (...)

    Trond Ruud Guest