Professional Web Applications Themes

problems with creative sound in redhat - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

i have sound blaster live value, running on redhat 8 with kernel 2.4.18-14. the emu10k1 module is loaded. I have sound with respects to the various system notifications(windows opening,closing etc.), i do not however have any sound when i load mp3's.infact when i try to load the mp3 in xmms or any other media player, the track is not even loaded, i get no error messages. any help would be greatly appreciated. Doron Dusheiko...

  1. #1

    Default problems with creative sound in redhat

    i have sound blaster live value, running on redhat 8 with kernel
    2.4.18-14. the emu10k1 module is loaded. I have sound with respects to
    the various system notifications(windows opening,closing etc.), i do not
    however have any sound when i load mp3's.infact when i try to load the
    mp3 in xmms or any other media player, the track is not even loaded, i
    get no error messages.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Doron Dusheiko

    Doron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: problems with creative sound in redhat

    Hello

    Doron (<com>) wrote:

    Does playing other sounds (ogg, wav, audiocd) with xmms or any other
    media player work? Make sure you have mp3 support, I heard Red Hat
    didn't include it in some versions of their distribution.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  3. #3

    Andreas Janssen wrote:

    > Does playing other sounds (ogg, wav, audiocd) with xmms or any other
    > media player work? Make sure you have mp3 support, I heard Red Hat
    > didn't include it in some versions of their distribution.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >[/ref]

    thanks for the reply
    xmms seems to have no problem playing wav formats and the system has no
    problem playing any other type of sound except mp3.
    looking forward to your reply

    Doron Guest

  4. #4

    Andreas Janssen wrote:

    > Does playing other sounds (ogg, wav, audiocd) with xmms or any other
    > media player work? Make sure you have mp3 support, I heard Red Hat
    > didn't include it in some versions of their distribution.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >[/ref]

    forgot to say that im not sure where to find if mp3 support is enabled,
    i looked at the various kernel options in make xconfig and i didnt
    see that option anywhere, other than that im not sure where to look, i
    doubt that mp3 support wouldnt be enabled since my kernel is relatively
    new and it would be a sily thing to leave out.
    thanks again

    Doron Guest

  5. #5

    Hello

    Doron (<com>) wrote:

    >> Does playing other sounds (ogg, wav, audiocd) with xmms or any other
    >> media player work? Make sure you have mp3 support, I heard Red Hat
    >> didn't include it in some versions of their distribution.
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > forgot to say that im not sure where to find if mp3 support is
    > enabled,
    > i looked at the various kernel options in make xconfig and i didnt
    > see that option anywhere, other than that im not sure where to look, i
    > doubt that mp3 support wouldnt be enabled since my kernel is
    > relatively new and it would be a sily thing to leave out.
    > thanks again[/ref]

    This has nothing to do with the kernel. You do not need a device driver,
    you need an input plugin for your media player that supports mp3. Check
    here:

    <http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/>

    Use google (e.g. redhat 8 mp3) for more info.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  6. #6

    Andreas Janssen wrote:

    >>forgot to say that im not sure where to find if mp3 support is
    >>enabled,
    >> i looked at the various kernel options in make xconfig and i didnt
    >>see that option anywhere, other than that im not sure where to look, i
    >>doubt that mp3 support wouldnt be enabled since my kernel is
    >>relatively new and it would be a sily thing to leave out.
    >>thanks again[/ref]
    >

    > This has nothing to do with the kernel. You do not need a device driver,
    > you need an input plugin for your media player that supports mp3. Check
    > here:
    >
    > <http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/>
    >
    > Use google (e.g. redhat 8 mp3) for more info.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >[/ref]

    thanks a lot, that did the trick!!!