Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems With Files Sent to AOL User - Mac Networking

Friend of mine who has AOL usually has no problem viewing JPEG file attachments I send. Awhile back she said pictures were only half showing, then all of a sudden there was no problem. The past few days she's telling me they're showing up as "1/4 inch scrunched pictures". Told her I have absolutely no idea what's causing this problem! It's odd because, as I said...she usually no problems getting or viewing the files and no one else I've sent them to has complained about the problem. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I suspect it's an AOL ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems With Files Sent to AOL User

    Friend of mine who has AOL usually has no problem viewing JPEG file attachments
    I send.

    Awhile back she said pictures were only half showing, then all of a sudden there
    was no problem.

    The past few days she's telling me they're showing up as "1/4 inch scrunched
    pictures".

    Told her I have absolutely no idea what's causing this problem!

    It's odd because, as I said...she usually no problems getting or viewing the
    files and no one else I've sent them to has complained about the problem.

    Does anyone know what may be causing this?

    I suspect it's an AOL thing - perhaps someone has run into problem and knows
    solution...other than getting rid of AOL - she probably won't - she's elderly
    and intimidated by computers and knows very little so she feels secure with AOL
    because of how easy it is to get online.

    She used to live close to me but moved out of state end of last year. Otherwise
    I would convince her to dump AOL and get a *REAL* ISP so she'd have fewer file
    problems and pay less per month and I'd help her get set up.

    Get kind of tired of there being file problems...I can't attach more than one
    because she can never get them if there's more than one...so I just do one at a
    time for her and then from time to time she says she can't view them.

    She's on an old 266mhz iMac running OS8.5 - not sure what version AOL software,
    but I know it's not latest as when she has done upgrades, it was only when I
    came over to help her do it and I don't recall what the last upgrade I helped
    her with was.
    LadyMovieFan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems With Files Sent to AOL User

    In article <noone-8CE303.16281302082003news.newsguy.com>,
    LadyMovieFan <noonenowhere.zzz> wrote:
    > Get kind of tired of there being file problems...I can't attach more than one
    > because she can never get them if there's more than one...so I just do one at
    > time for her and then from time to time she says she can't view them.
    >
    > She's on an old 266mhz iMac running OS8.5 - not sure what version AOL
    > software,
    > but I know it's not latest as when she has done upgrades, it was only when I
    > came over to help her do it and I don't recall what the last upgrade I helped
    > her with was.

    ----

    Couple of problems.

    First you CAn send morethan one image at a time but when you do that
    AOl uses a compression utility to put them together as one file. On a
    Mac they allegedly use Stuffit and on a PC a ZIP utility. That may
    have changed in later versions.

    If the image is scrunched up and displays in the message body there
    may be something arwy with theway you are sending them. Are you
    inserting the image code in the body of th emessage or adding it as a
    true attachment. It soulds like you are doing the former.

    When sending attachments to an AOL user they are not completely
    attached. As a security measure against viruses and unwanted mail all
    attachments are held on the AOl end and only the body of the message
    is sent when they access mail. Then you get prompted to take the
    download or not.

    Downloaded images should show up in the AOL downloads folder. Have
    her try opening one of the images in that folder in another graphics
    program if she has any. "Big Picture" is a good easy utility for
    viewing. Or she can open the image separately in a stand alone web
    browser.

    If she is not using AOL 5 she may want to upgrade to that level at
    least. She cannot get inline images with AOL 3 and AOL 4 was at best
    only partly good at that.

    DMK
    D. Kirkpatrick Guest

  3. #3

    ----
    > Couple of problems.
    >
    > First you CAn send morethan one image at a time but when you do that
    > AOl uses a compression utility to put them together as one file. On a
    > Mac they allegedly use Stuffit and on a PC a ZIP utility. That may
    > have changed in later versions.
    I think you're confusing sending from AOL with sending to AOL.

    When an AOL user tries to send more than one file, AOL puts it into a
    folder and stuffs it (on a Mac) or zips it (on a PC).

    When someone from another ISP sends more than one file to an AOL user,
    AOL encodes it in a single file and won't decode it. It comes in as a
    huge file of text gibberish. You need a 3rd party decoder to separate
    it into the respective files and open it.

    > If the image is scrunched up and displays in the message body there
    > may be something arwy with theway you are sending them. Are you
    > inserting the image code in the body of th emessage or adding it as a
    > true attachment. It soulds like you are doing the former.
    >
    > When sending attachments to an AOL user they are not completely
    > attached. As a security measure against viruses and unwanted mail all
    > attachments are held on the AOl end and only the body of the message
    > is sent when they access mail. Then you get prompted to take the
    > download or not.
    >
    > Downloaded images should show up in the AOL downloads folder. Have
    > her try opening one of the images in that folder in another graphics
    > program if she has any. "Big Picture" is a good easy utility for
    > viewing. Or she can open the image separately in a stand alone web
    > browser.
    >
    > If she is not using AOL 5 she may want to upgrade to that level at
    > least. She cannot get inline images with AOL 3 and AOL 4 was at best
    > only partly good at that.
    > DMK

    - TNW

    [To e-mail me, remove 12345 from my address.]
    TNW7Z12345@aol.com Guest

  4. #4

    In article <sunclad-9FDAF8.15311203082003news.verizon.net>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    > Couple of problems.
    >
    > First you CAn send morethan one image at a time but when you do that
    > AOl uses a compression utility to put them together as one file. On a
    > Mac they allegedly use Stuffit and on a PC a ZIP utility. That may
    > have changed in later versions.
    I've tried sending zip files to my AOL friend and she can't get them to work.
    She has utilities to unzip files on her Mac that I installed. Could just be case
    of being nervous about trying to unzip or not knowing how to. I did show her how
    to do this before.
    > If the image is scrunched up and displays in the message body there
    > may be something arwy with theway you are sending them. Are you
    > inserting the image code in the body of th emessage or adding it as a
    > true attachment. It soulds like you are doing the former.
    It's added as true attachment to a Yahoo web based email message. That's the
    only way it can be done from Yahoo.
    > When sending attachments to an AOL user they are not completely
    > attached. As a security measure against viruses and unwanted mail all
    > attachments are held on the AOl end and only the body of the message
    > is sent when they access mail. Then you get prompted to take the
    > download or not.
    >
    > Downloaded images should show up in the AOL downloads folder. Have
    > her try opening one of the images in that folder in another graphics
    > program if she has any. "Big Picture" is a good easy utility for
    > viewing. Or she can open the image separately in a stand alone web
    > browser.
    She told me the attachments weren't showing up in her AOL download folder.

    Perhaps she's confused which folder to look in as I once created a "download"
    folder on her computer for her to put files into herself.

    I'll have to ask her to search for the actual AOL download folder.

    She has both JPEGView and Photoshop installed and I've asked her to open files
    with both those - but in this case, she claims she didn't see or find an
    attachment.

    I've also asked her to view attachments using browser if she can't open/view
    them in these applications.
    > If she is not using AOL 5 she may want to upgrade to that level at
    > least. She cannot get inline images with AOL 3 and AOL 4 was at best
    > only partly good at that.
    I mentioned she needs to upgrade AOL software. I know she won't do it on her own
    due to being insecure about doing such things...I live 2 states away, so I can't
    do it. So she's either going to have to find someone locally to upgrade it, or
    call AOL and they can walk her through it.

    Thanks for the info...I did receive an update from my friend this morning and I
    will post it here in a bit.
    LadyMovieFan Guest

  5. #5

    Just got the following update from my AOL friend:
    > Went back to original email I received with picture all
    > scrunched. This time I didn't do a "Save As" but just
    > double-clicked on scrunched art and picture came out
    > full-sized on desktop. Should have tried this before I
    > caused you all this hassle. It's also happened with
    > pictures I've received from other people, too.
    LadyMovieFan Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3F2EF765.6F6623B8aol.com>, [email]TNW7Z12345aol.com[/email] wrote:
    > When someone from another ISP sends more than one file to an AOL user,
    > AOL encodes it in a single file and won't decode it. It comes in as a huge
    > file of text gibberish. You need a 3rd party decoder to separate it into the
    > respective files and open it.
    Which 3rd party decoder for Mac would be used in these cases?
    LadyMovieFan Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1fz4q1u.1ybnm0j17d64s6N%mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> ,
    [email]mikePOSTTOGROUP.inva[/email]lid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
    > Has she tried to download the images and open them outside of AOL?
    She initially told me she didn't see anything to download.

    In the meantime, she figured out how to get to desktop and by double-clicking,
    it opened up the file.
    LadyMovieFan Guest

  8. #8

    LadyMovieFan wrote:

    > In article <3F2EF765.6F6623B8aol.com>, [email]TNW7Z12345aol.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    > > When someone from another ISP sends more than one file to an AOL user,
    > > AOL encodes it in a single file and won't decode it. It comes in as a huge
    > > file of text gibberish. You need a 3rd party decoder to separate it into the
    > > respective files and open it.
    >
    > Which 3rd party decoder for Mac would be used in these cases?
    Most any --

    I believe Stuffit Expander will work, although I'm not sure.

    Also, the shareware program "Decoder" will decode anything. (the older
    one 2.1.1 may be a better choice. Newest version had some bugs; not
    sure if they were fixed).

    I also usually have good luck with the freeware program "YA-Base64"
    (old, but still works with OS9) and also a freeware program called
    "UUCD" (slightly more confusing than YA-Base64).

    Newer versions of MacLinkPlus may also decode.

    I think there are lots of choices. But you can avoid needing one if you
    attach only one file per e-mail message.

  9. #9

    LadyMovieFan wrote:

    > Just got the following update from my AOL friend:
    >
    > > Went back to original email I received with picture all
    > > scrunched. This time I didn't do a "Save As" but just
    > > double-clicked on scrunched art and picture came out
    > > full-sized on desktop. Should have tried this before I
    > > caused you all this hassle. It's also happened with
    > > pictures I've received from other people, too.
    I wouldn't recommend that she upgrade the AOL software. I'm using AOL 5
    and yesterday experimented with sending myself .jpgs via Netscape from
    my other ISP.

    They all came in scrunched just as your friend describes. And double
    clicking or downloading produced only a tiny version of the picture that
    I could *not* expand.

    So if she managed to get a full-size pic., she's doing better than I.

    Oddly, for the heck of it I *encoded* the tiny pic. and then decoded it,
    and suddenly it was full size. But no way she'll be able to do that.

    Something in AOL is y. I don't recall having these problems in the
    past. Or else Netscape does something funny to the attachment.

    If she starts having trouble again, I would go back to zipping the pics.
    and then call her on the phone and talk her through unzipping them. I
    bet she's confused by the software.

    Also, AOL will download a zipped archive *and* automatically unzip it if
    that's how the prefs are set (the default I think). The problem is,
    both AOL 4 and 5 (none higher unless you use OSX) unzip using an
    embedded, ancient version of Stuffit that strips the files it unzips,
    making them all SimpleText files.

    Usually you can see both the .zip archive and the unzipped files. Best
    to trash the damaged files and open the archive with 3rd party unzipping software.

  10. #10

    LadyMovieFan <noonenowhere.zzz> wrote:
    > In article <slrnbirakj.ptg.adambtyphoon.xnet.com>,
    > [email]adamblull.org[/email] (Adam Bailey) wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, the image is embedded into the body of the message (rather than
    >> attached). Double-clicking will give the full size.
    >
    > That's what my friend just discovered on her own!
    >
    > Thankfully she did, as I had no idea what to suggest being a non-AOL user!
    >
    > I can't embed attachments in the email. Using Yahoo web email account, you can
    > only send as an attachment.
    Yeah, but Yahoo! may be referencing the attachment in HTML -- thus turning
    it into an embedded image.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
    [email]adamblull.org[/email] | Finger/Web for PGP