Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems with my RH 9 installation. Help!! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I just got a new computer and decided the old one would be a good linux machine. some specs: duron 700, fic az11e mobo, maxtor 15gb drive (don't know the model number off hand), 256mb ram, gf1 ddr 32mb video and assorted other cards. I got RH 9 and tried to install. I told the installation to nuke all (windows) partitions on the drive and start fresh. I used the autoconfig option. I got the end of the installation messages (package choosing) and told it to go. It formatted the HD fine and then errored when "copying installation image to ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems with my RH 9 installation. Help!!

    I just got a new computer and decided the old one would be a good
    linux machine.

    some specs: duron 700, fic az11e mobo, maxtor 15gb drive (don't know
    the model number off hand), 256mb ram, gf1 ddr 32mb video and assorted
    other cards.

    I got RH 9 and tried to install. I told the installation to nuke all
    (windows) partitions on the drive and start fresh. I used the
    autoconfig option. I got the end of the installation messages
    (package choosing) and told it to go. It formatted the HD fine and
    then errored when "copying installation image to hard drive". The
    status bar got to ~72% when a message came up that said something like
    "problems installing image to hard drive. your hard drive may be
    full". I went back through the installation setup and told it to put
    the boot loader (grub, but same thing happens with lilo or no boot
    loader) on the boot partition (hda1) instead of the hda master boot
    record. The status bar got to ~83% and then quit. I'm assuming by
    the symptoms that it's trying to put something in the MBR that doesn't
    fit and freeing up some room by putting the boot loader somewhere else
    makes it quit later in its attempt to do so.

    I then decided to go and get a new hard drive... A WB 80gb thing with
    the 8mb of cache. Installed that and the symptoms are identical. I
    goofed around with my mobo BIOS settings and did stuff like turn an
    MBR virus scanner off, but to no avail....same problem. ANY
    suggestions would be appreciated, since my google-fu hasn't been good
    enough to turn up any similar problems or answers or FAQs that touch
    on this. Thanks in advance!
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems with my RH 9 installation. Help!!

    Did you do a media test first?

    Jason Guest

  3. #3

    On 12 Dec 2003 12:27:08 -0800, com (Paul) wrote:

    Do a google on the error message. I had the same problem....Two
    solutions. Mine was the switch linux = nocddma......can't remember
    the other solution. Hope this helps

    refv2@attbi.net Guest

  4. #4

    Jason Bowen <edu> wrote in message news:<com>...

    of the RH disks or my hard drive? Answer is out of the 10-15 install
    tries I've done, I only tested the RH media the first time through and
    skipped it the rest of the times. Good to go. I did a bad block
    check on my first hard drive and it said something like "bad cylinders
    found on your HD, Linux recommends you not use it. I'm quitting now".
    At that point is when I decided to go and get the new HD, which I
    might be falsely assuming is OK, I'll go and run through media checks
    for everything now that you have me all paranoid 8-). But same
    symptoms with each one......go figure.
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    net wrote in message news:<com>...

    Thanks! I googled the error message and it seems to be pretty
    widespread. Hmm, 2 things: 1) I wonder why I couldn't find it when
    I googled before with admittedly different keywords (but that's no big
    deal now), and 2) People were having this problem back with RH
    7.something....and it's still a problem through fedora? Hmmmm.
    Anyways, some solutions I gleaned were:

    1) Shaky solution where one should put the CD drive as a slave off of
    the primary IDE channel instead of a master on the secondary IDE.
    This didn't work for me. (from a bugzilla post)

    2) Your suggestion, but slightly different. Should be "linux nodma".
    Another one was "linux allowcddma", which seems contradictory.
    Haven't tried either yet (I will this evening), but a lot of people
    found success with the first statement. (and fyi, edit the
    /etc/grub.conf after install to eliminate this as the problem only
    manifests during install....)

    3) Perhaps a media error. Some people found their media to be
    corrupted and downloaded it again and it seemed to work.....*shrug*
    That's what I'm doing now.

    I'm going to do option #2 with the new media from option #3 tonight.
    Hopefully it will work.
    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    On 13 Dec 2003 12:45:54 -0800, com (Paul) wrote:

    >2) Your suggestion, but slightly different. Should be "linux nodma".
    >Another one was "linux allowcddma", which seems contradictory.
    >Haven't tried either yet (I will this evening), but a lot of people
    >found success with the first statement. (and fyi, edit the
    >/etc/grub.conf after install to eliminate this as the problem only
    >manifests during install....)
    >
    >3) Perhaps a media error. Some people found their media to be
    >corrupted and downloaded it again and it seemed to work.....*shrug*
    >That's what I'm doing now.
    >
    >I'm going to do option #2 with the new media from option #3 tonight.
    >Hopefully it will work.[/ref]

    Heh, Heh......My solution, in fact, was the allowcddma switch. Just
    forgot......Sorry for the wrong advice, but I think it put you on the
    right track.

    Later

    refv2@attbi.net Guest

  7. #7

    net wrote in message news:<com>...

    > >2) Your suggestion, but slightly different. Should be "linux nodma".
    > >Another one was "linux allowcddma", which seems contradictory.
    > >Haven't tried either yet (I will this evening), but a lot of people
    > >found success with the first statement. (and fyi, edit the
    > >/etc/grub.conf after install to eliminate this as the problem only
    > >manifests during install....)
    > >
    > >3) Perhaps a media error. Some people found their media to be
    > >corrupted and downloaded it again and it seemed to work.....*shrug*
    > >That's what I'm doing now.
    > >
    > >I'm going to do option #2 with the new media from option #3 tonight.
    > >Hopefully it will work.[/ref]
    >
    > Heh, Heh......My solution, in fact, was the allowcddma switch. Just
    > forgot......Sorry for the wrong advice, but I think it put you on the
    > right track.
    >
    > Later
    >
    >[/ref]

    Yup, it worked. And I'm all installed now....thanks for the help!
    Paul Guest

  8. #8

    On 15 Dec 2003 06:54:44 -0800, com (Paul) wrote:

    >> Heh, Heh......My solution, in fact, was the allowcddma switch. Just
    >> forgot......Sorry for the wrong advice, but I think it put you on the
    >> right track.
    >>
    >> Later
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Yup, it worked. And I'm all installed now....thanks for the help![/ref]

    Glad to hear. Have fun!

    refv2@attbi.net Guest