Professional Web Applications Themes

problems with older iBook - Mac Portable

I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green) It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1) It has 64 MB of built-in memory Disk cache: 2048 K About a year ago, I started to have lots of screen freezes. Then my computer stopped sleeping -- I had to leave it running or shut it down completely. Then, about four months ago, I got hit with a systems error that did not allow me to boot up; mostly, the system error I got was 41. I ended up having to re-install all of my systems software, which took forever ...

  1. #1

    Default problems with older iBook

    I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green)
    It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1)
    It has 64 MB of built-in memory
    Disk cache: 2048 K

    About a year ago, I started to have lots of screen freezes. Then my computer
    stopped sleeping -- I had to leave it running or shut it down completely.
    Then, about four months ago, I got hit with a
    systems error that did not allow me to boot up; mostly, the system error I
    got was 41. I ended up having to re-install all of my systems software,
    which took forever to restore all my most-used application preferences and
    Internet settings.

    Now, once again, screen freezes are happening more frequently, and the other
    day, the iBook refused to shut down.

    My questions:

    -- I took the iBook into the local shop (Gravis, in Bonn, Germany) and they
    said that the machine couldn't handle Mac X; they said the memory couldn't
    be increased either. Has anyone out there with an iBook like mine upgraded
    to Mac X, and what has been your experience?

    -- My battery barely lasts three hours. Is it relatively easy to find a new
    battery for my iBook?

    J Cravens Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: problems with older iBook

    Le 11/08/03 10:27, dans bh7k6q$uh04u$1ID-139614.news.uni-berlin.de, «J
    Cravens» <seesig4addressunvolunteers.org> a écrit:
    > I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green)
    > It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1)
    > It has 64 MB of built-in memory
    > Disk cache: 2048 K
    >
    > About a year ago, I started to have lots of screen freezes. Then my computer
    > stopped sleeping -- I had to leave it running or shut it down completely.
    > Then, about four months ago, I got hit with a
    > systems error that did not allow me to boot up; mostly, the system error I
    > got was 41. I ended up having to re-install all of my systems software,
    > which took forever to restore all my most-used application preferences and
    > Internet settings.
    >
    > Now, once again, screen freezes are happening more frequently, and the other
    > day, the iBook refused to shut down.
    >
    > My questions:
    >
    > -- I took the iBook into the local shop (Gravis, in Bonn, Germany) and they
    > said that the machine couldn't handle Mac X; they said the memory couldn't
    > be increased either. Has anyone out there with an iBook like mine upgraded
    > to Mac X, and what has been your experience?
    >
    > -- My battery barely lasts three hours. Is it relatively easy to find a new
    > battery for my iBook?

    my wife has the ibook special edition, original ibook only difference to
    yours I believe is the 366mgh processor

    she is running the latest X on it, it is fast and very stable, I did not
    install 9 (classic) on this machine, I suggest you do the same if you do not
    need 9, if you do, you can install it...

    I installed 576 megs of ram, you can buy ram cheaply do some searches on
    macintouch.com I think they have sth. called Ram watch, you should be able
    to fin a good price in germany if you hunt around

    so your local dealer does not know what he is talking about, probably wants
    you to buy a new machine!!!!

    as well, the forthecoming Panther will run on this machine...

    Donald Smith Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bh7k6q$uh04u$1ID-139614.news.uni-berlin.de>, J Cravens
    <seesig4addressunvolunteers.org> wrote:
    > I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green)
    > It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1)
    > It has 64 MB of built-in memory
    > -- I took the iBook into the local shop (Gravis, in Bonn, Germany) and they
    > said that the machine couldn't handle Mac X; they said the memory couldn't
    > be increased either. Has anyone out there with an iBook like mine upgraded
    > to Mac X, and what has been your experience?
    You should find a better shop. It can run X, and the memory can be
    upgraded.

    My wife's iBook is older and slower it runs OS X quite happily and its
    got 576MB in it, you can drop a 512MB stick into it (that's cost about
    $90 here), its quite simple to do it yourself.

    OS X on an iBook that old is not exactly zippy, but it does work.
    > -- My battery barely lasts three hours. Is it relatively easy to find a new
    > battery for my iBook?
    3 hours isn't bad. I got a new battery from my local Apple shop. They
    stock a 3rd party battery from "BTi". I'd expect any decent Mac shop or
    mail order place to have them. They should be easy to find as its about
    now all the old iBook batteries are flaking out.

    There's an interesting hack involving getting into open firmware which
    can revive a flagging battery. The battery may be good, but the Mac
    thinks it isn't, if the memory is cleared out the battery will get
    better.

    --
    Barry
    [email]Barrynetbox.com[/email] <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

  4. #4

    In article <120820032151211224%barrynetbox.com>,
    Barry Twycross <barrynetbox.com> wrote:
    > In article <bh7k6q$uh04u$1ID-139614.news.uni-berlin.de>, J Cravens
    > <seesig4addressunvolunteers.org> wrote:
    > > I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green)
    > > It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1)
    > > It has 64 MB of built-in memory
    >
    > > -- I took the iBook into the local shop (Gravis, in Bonn, Germany) and they
    > > said that the machine couldn't handle Mac X; they said the memory couldn't
    > > be increased either. Has anyone out there with an iBook like mine upgraded
    > > to Mac X, and what has been your experience?
    I run Mac OSX 10.2.6 on a Pismo PB (G3/500 MHz, 384 MB RAM) and it works
    well. No hacks required whatsoever.

    Get 512 MB RAM in it, and it will work well.

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  5. #5

    Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. Between this group and another
    group where I posted this, I think I have the details I need to get this
    machine upgraded.

    "J Cravens" <seesig4addressunvolunteers.org> wrote in message
    > I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green)
    > It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1)
    > It has 64 MB of built-in memory
    > Disk cache: 2048 K
    >
    > About a year ago, I started to have lots of screen freezes. Then my
    computer
    > stopped sleeping -- I had to leave it running or shut it down completely.
    > Then, about four months ago, I got hit with a
    > systems error that did not allow me to boot up; mostly, the system error I
    > got was 41. I ended up having to re-install all of my systems software,
    > which took forever to restore all my most-used application preferences and
    > Internet settings.
    >
    > Now, once again, screen freezes are happening more frequently, and the
    other
    > day, the iBook refused to shut down.
    >
    > My questions:
    >
    > -- I took the iBook into the local shop (Gravis, in Bonn, Germany) and
    they
    > said that the machine couldn't handle Mac X; they said the memory couldn't
    > be increased either. Has anyone out there with an iBook like mine upgraded
    > to Mac X, and what has been your experience?
    >
    > -- My battery barely lasts three hours. Is it relatively easy to find a
    new
    > battery for my iBook?

    J Cravens Guest

  6. #6

    In <marc.heusser-C231FC.10093013082003news.bluewin.ch> Marc Heusser
    wrote:
    > In article <120820032151211224%barrynetbox.com>,
    > Barry Twycross <barrynetbox.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <bh7k6q$uh04u$1ID-139614.news.uni-berlin.de>, J Cravens
    >> <seesig4addressunvolunteers.org> wrote:
    >> > I have an iBook, bought in February 2000 (it's lime green)
    >> > It runs 9.0.4 (Mac OS ROM 5.3.1)
    >> > It has 64 MB of built-in memory
    >> > memory couldn't be increased either. Has anyone out there with an
    >> > iBook like mine upgraded to Mac X
    >
    > I run Mac OSX 10.2.6 on a Pismo
    So why are you answering? The OP wants to know about machines "like
    mine". A Pismo is nothing like a lime-green iBook. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  7. #7

    In <marc.heusser-7618F3.18113213082003news.bluewin.ch> Marc Heusser
    wrote:

    >> > I run Mac OSX 10.2.6 on a Pismo
    >>
    >> So why are you answering? The OP wants to know about machines "like
    >> mine". A Pismo is nothing like a lime-green iBook. m.
    >
    > Because is is not that different - bus a little slower, CPU a little
    > slower but otherwise rather similar.
    If a Pismo is like a lime-green iBook a rhinoceros is like a camel. The
    only similarity I can see is that they both have four feet and neither
    is a puma.

    Lime-green iBook is 366-MHz G3, 256K level 2 cache, 66-MHz bus, and an
    under-sized screen (800 x 600).

    Pismo is 500-MHz G3, 1MB level 2 cache, 100-Mhz bus, and a full-size
    screen.

    Neither has QuartzExtreme, but all in all the experiences of running Mac
    OS X on these two machines would clearly be very, very different. To say
    that you have relevant "experience" with the iBook is just silly. m.

  8. #8

    In <usenet-F46F17.05093416082003quokka.wn.com.au> Particle Man wrote:
    > The smaller iBook screen requires you to make the OSX interface
    > elements smaller so that OSX doesn't simply take over the entire
    > screen with the dock and other widgets but once that's done it's
    > quite useable.
    How do you make menu names smaller? I've got a 1024-pixel wide screen
    and I still have apps with so many menus in the menu bar that they crowd
    my clock off the right side of the menu bar. If you've solved this I'd
    love to hear how. m.