Professional Web Applications Themes

problems with scratch disk - Adobe Photoshop Elements

my photoshop program will not start anymore because the scratch disks are full. does anybody know how to empty them? or at least the extension so that i can find it on my computer? so far all attempts were useless! thanx katelijne...

  1. #1

    Default problems with scratch disk

    my photoshop program will not start anymore because the scratch disks are full. does anybody know how to empty them? or at least the extension so that i can find it on my computer? so far all attempts were useless!
    thanx katelijne
    katelijne de wolf Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: problems with scratch disk

    Katelijne,

    Are you on a PC or MAC? If a PC, then below is what you need to do. If on a MAC, someone who's a MAC driver should pop in with an answer, as they do things a bit differently.

    On a PC, ScratchDisk is an area set aside on your hard drive (usually C:) to be used as a cache area storing working bytes of your program (Elements, in this case). So it's not something you can "empty" as such. You should keep at least 500mb of freespace on your C: hard drive (more is better) but also you need to regularly Defrag it to keep the cache area all together.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  3. #3

    Okay, Mac users, how about it?? I have an iBook and have the same problem. my desktop has been rebuilt and indexed, and I am still experiencing the "scratch disks are full" problem...help, please!

    zia
    zia Guest

  4. #4

    zia, what OS are you using? System info is helpful, although saying you've rebuilt the desktop implies you're on something before OS X. Clarification would be good, though. Also some hard drive and RAM stats.

    Oh, if on OS 9.x, have you tried increasing the memory allocation to Elements?
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #5

    I just defraged my hard drive, and have 18GB free space. I STILL get the "Scratch Disk Full" error message. What is going on here?! I am using windows ME.
    Darick Frommherz Guest

  6. #6

    Hi, Beth,
    I'm highly technically illiterate, so forgive me for neglecting that info! Makes sense, though. Yes, I am using OS9, I have 128mb built in memory, 155mb virtual and, as set in default, the RAM is not on (should it be??). I have tried allocating some more memory. the suggested size is 32768, it's set at 36768. Forgive the ignorance, but will increasing the memory take care of the scratch disk problem? I'll feel silly if it's that easy (and relieved!).

    Thanks for your input!

    zia
    zia Guest

  7. #7

    I know Macs have a reputation for not needing the same kind of regular maintenance as Windows machines, but... Hmmm. When did you last run something like Tech Tool Pro? Mine is a pretty old computer, and I was having lots of trouble with it. Just before I upgraded some of the components, I decided to "practice" running some of the utilities, knowing at that point I didn't have anything to loose if I accidentally erased something. A world of difference! I still did the upgrade, but I was impressed with the performance boost I was able to get just by giving the poor thing some attention.

    You'd never be sorry you added more RAM, but that may not clear up the problem totally if what you really need to do is give the guy a tune-up. :)
    Beth Haney Guest