Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems with Solaris 9 and gnome 2.0.0 - Sun Solaris

Hi, We have a small network with a E4000 server running Solaris 9 with the latest patches and gnome 2.0. I have added all the latest patches for gnome and cde 1.5 to this systems I havea bunch of SPARCstation 5, also running Solaris 9 and cde 1.5 logging in with the remote login options to the server works fine both in CDE and Gnome, but when logged out it hangs indefinitly, it doesn die on the WS until I manually kill the logged in users processes on the server. Anyone sees this? Ah yes, the hanging only happens with ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems with Solaris 9 and gnome 2.0.0

    Hi,

    We have a small network with a E4000 server running Solaris 9 with the
    latest patches and gnome 2.0.

    I have added all the latest patches for gnome and cde 1.5

    to this systems I havea bunch of SPARCstation 5, also running Solaris 9
    and cde 1.5

    logging in with the remote login options to the server works fine both in
    CDE and Gnome, but when logged out it hangs indefinitly, it doesn die on
    the WS until I manually kill the logged in users processes on the server.

    Anyone sees this?

    Ah yes, the hanging only happens with gnome, with cde it worked fine until
    the last patches, then i got a known error :-)

    Any help appreciated, also a pointer to how i get the remote login to be
    the default behaviour, i.e. X-terminal behaviour, would be nice.
    I am reading the manpages but cant really get the hang of it.

    /Johan A

    Mr. Johan Andersson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems with Solaris 9 and gnome 2.0.0

    Did you install the patches recommended by Sun to operate Gnome.
    Also did you make the recommended kernel change?

    Jeremy

    Mr. Johan Andersson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a small network with a E4000 server running Solaris 9 with the
    > latest patches and gnome 2.0.
    >
    > I have added all the latest patches for gnome and cde 1.5
    >
    > to this systems I havea bunch of SPARCstation 5, also running Solaris 9
    > and cde 1.5
    >
    > logging in with the remote login options to the server works fine both in
    > CDE and Gnome, but when logged out it hangs indefinitly, it doesn die on
    > the WS until I manually kill the logged in users processes on the server.
    >
    > Anyone sees this?
    >
    > Ah yes, the hanging only happens with gnome, with cde it worked fine until
    > the last patches, then i got a known error :-)
    >
    > Any help appreciated, also a pointer to how i get the remote login to be
    > the default behaviour, i.e. X-terminal behaviour, would be nice.
    > I am reading the manpages but cant really get the hang of it.
    >
    > /Johan A

    Jeremy Loukinas Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Jeremy Loukinas wrote:
    > Did you install the patches recommended by Sun to operate Gnome.
    > Also did you make the recommended kernel change?
    >
    > Jeremy
    Yes, I do believe so, latest patches for gnome, cde and recommended on
    server and client.

    said so in my post below.

    I always check my patches and levels before I post a query, I have also
    checked sunsolve and web with lotsa searches and found resolution for the
    CDE lockup, thats known apperently, but I havent seen anything on the
    gnome problem.
    > > Mr. Johan Andersson wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We have a small network with a E4000 server running Solaris 9 with the
    > > latest patches and gnome 2.0.
    > >
    > > I have added all the latest patches for gnome and cde 1.5
    > >
    > > to this systems I havea bunch of SPARCstation 5, also running Solaris 9
    > > and cde 1.5
    > >
    > > logging in with the remote login options to the server works fine both in
    > > CDE and Gnome, but when logged out it hangs indefinitly, it doesn die on
    > > the WS until I manually kill the logged in users processes on the server.
    > >
    > > Anyone sees this?
    > >
    > > Ah yes, the hanging only happens with gnome, with cde it worked fine until
    > > the last patches, then i got a known error :-)
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated, also a pointer to how i get the remote login to be
    > > the default behaviour, i.e. X-terminal behaviour, would be nice.
    > > I am reading the manpages but cant really get the hang of it.
    > >
    > > /Johan A

    Mr. Johan Andersson Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Fredrik Lundholm wrote:
    > Yes, on a related note, does the panel freeze when from the Gnome menu you
    > try to access CDE-applications?
    > It might be related. If so try to move your ~/.dt away.
    Havent tried that, but the patch for cde integration is on.
    Will try to move my .dt away, i.e. clean all dotfiles and retry.
    Coming back with more if it doesnt work.

    /Johan A

    Mr. Johan Andersson Guest