Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems with speed of model rotating :( - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi all ive got this model which i can rotate and move etc and when ive created a projector of it the speed is perfect. But ive recently added the roll over tooltip behaviour from the chrome lib to the model and theres a few parts of the model so ive started adding the behaviour for each part, but i now have a problem. Ive noticed that once ive added the multiple behavious the model is really slow to rotate, yet when i delete the behaviours attached to it then it goes back to the speed it was before i ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems with speed of model rotating :(

    Hi all ive got this model which i can rotate and move etc and when ive created
    a projector of it the speed is perfect. But ive recently added the roll over
    tooltip behaviour from the chrome lib to the model and theres a few parts of
    the model so ive started adding the behaviour for each part, but i now have a
    problem. Ive noticed that once ive added the multiple behavious the model is
    really slow to rotate, yet when i delete the behaviours attached to it then it
    goes back to the speed it was before i added the behaviours. Can someone tell
    me how i can make it play at the original speed it was when i add the
    behaviours, as this is a huge stumbling block ?

    ZeppelinFan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems with speed of model rotating :(

    Each additional behavior requires its own slice of the CPU's time. If all the
    models are to rotate at the same speed around the same axis, then it would be
    more CPU-effective to have a single behavior controlling multiple models.
    Alternatively, you might get better performance altogether by rotating the
    camera around the models, rather than rotating the models themselves.

    If you could give more details about what needs to rotate, it might prove to
    be a fairly straightforward exercise.

    openspark Guest

  3. #3

    well its not just the model thats slow in rotating its also the tool tip for each individual component takes ages to pop up despite me setting tool tip time lapse to 0 secs
    ZeppelinFan Guest

  4. #4

    Just how many behaviors do you have on the sprite?
    What is the frame rate of your movie?

    The more behaviors there are, the slower the movie will run. If you can use
    one behavior to control multiple models, the movie will perform faster. Here's
    a suggestion:

    1. Download the movie at [url]http://nonlinear.openspark.com/3DTooltip.zip[/url]
    2. In the Create World behavior, change the beginSprite handler to the
    following:

    on beginSprite(me)
    vScene = sprite(me.spriteNum).member
    vScene.resetWorld()

    -- Create a modelResource
    vResource = vScene.newModelResource("Box", #box)

    -- Create 250 box models, each with a tooltip
    repeat with i = 1 to 250
    vName = "Model_"&i
    vModel = vScene.newModel(vName, vResource)
    vModel.userData.addProp(#tooltip, vName)
    vModel.transform = randomTransform()
    end repeat
    end beginSprite

    3. Select the 3D sprite and open the Property Inspector at the Behaviors tab
    4. For the 3D Tooltip behavior, set the Delay to 0
    5. Run the movie and move the mouse over the ball of Box models.

    On my computer, the movie runs at around 12 frames per second. This does not
    change noticeably if I remove the 3D Toolip or the Move Camera behaviors. If I
    press the arrow keys, the camera moves around the Box models at an acceptable
    speed. If I move the mouse from one model to another, the tooltip changes
    after only a brief delay. With 25 models, the tooltip changes instantaneously.

    Does this demonstrate that the effect you require is indeed achievable?

    openspark Guest