Professional Web Applications Themes

Problems with Templated Databound control - ASP.NET Building Controls

Hi! In my templated databound control (inherited from CompositeDataBoundControl) I have one template and one string get/set property. When CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, bool dataBinding) is being called, the string property is sometimes set and sometimes not. I have figured out that if the templated contains any form controls (TextBox, RadioButton etc.), CreateChildControls are called prior to the string property is set. If the template on the other hand does not contain any form controls (like only a Label), CreateChildControls are called after the string property is set. I need the string property to be set when CreateChildControls are called, while it ...

  1. #1

    Default Problems with Templated Databound control

    Hi!

    In my templated databound control (inherited from
    CompositeDataBoundControl) I have one template and one string get/set
    property. When CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, bool
    dataBinding) is being called, the string property is sometimes set and
    sometimes not.

    I have figured out that if the templated contains any form controls
    (TextBox, RadioButton etc.), CreateChildControls are called prior to
    the string property is set. If the template on the other hand does not
    contain any form controls (like only a Label), CreateChildControls are
    called after the string property is set.

    I need the string property to be set when CreateChildControls are
    called, while it determines what default template to implement.

    Why am I experiencing this behavior?

    /Paul

    paululvinius@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems with Templated Databound control

    How/where are you setting the String property? In the markup? It
    sounds like when you declare a server control in the template, .NET
    ps the control and tries to instantiate the template without
    instantiating the parent control correctly. Either way, something in
    the order of operations is incorrect. Is there a way to assign a
    default value for the string property within the control?

    [email]paululviniushotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > In my templated databound control (inherited from
    > CompositeDataBoundControl) I have one template and one string get/set
    > property. When CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, bool
    > dataBinding) is being called, the string property is sometimes set and
    > sometimes not.
    >
    > I have figured out that if the templated contains any form controls
    > (TextBox, RadioButton etc.), CreateChildControls are called prior to
    > the string property is set. If the template on the other hand does not
    > contain any form controls (like only a Label), CreateChildControls are
    > called after the string property is set.
    >
    > I need the string property to be set when CreateChildControls are
    > called, while it determines what default template to implement.
    >
    > Why am I experiencing this behavior?
    >
    > /Paul
    Michael Hamrah Guest