Professional Web Applications Themes

Professional Photographers - Sell your Photos Online , Online Proofing, Watermarking, Image Protection, and more. - Photography

On 6 Jul 2003 11:40:28 -0700, in <9d2caaf1.0307061040.a857786posting.google.com> , [email]bluearchtopmy-deja.com[/email] (Ted Smith) said: >ImageDisplayWorks' (IDW) "Eye Select" is an end-to-end Internet >software application that enables professional photographers to sell >their photographs and manage their events online. Pricing starts at >just $49.00/month (hosting included). Too expensive. I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a commission on sales. -- W . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because \|/ \|/ ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Professional Photographers - Sell your Photos Online , Online Proofing, Watermarking, Image Protection, and more.

    On 6 Jul 2003 11:40:28 -0700, in
    <9d2caaf1.0307061040.a857786posting.google.com> ,
    [email]bluearchtopmy-deja.com[/email] (Ted Smith) said:
    >ImageDisplayWorks' (IDW) "Eye Select" is an end-to-end Internet
    >software application that enables professional photographers to sell
    >their photographs and manage their events online. Pricing starts at
    >just $49.00/month (hosting included).
    Too expensive.
    I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
    reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
    most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
    commission on sales.

    Lionel Guest

  2. #2

    > Too expensive.
    > I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
    > reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
    > most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
    > commission on sales.
    >
    > --

    yeah, but I refuse to do business with spammers, period.

    zeitgeist Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:05:39 GMT, in <7Z8Oa.23779$Ix2.11242rwcrnsc54>,
    "zeitgeist" <blkhatwhtdog> said:
    >> Too expensive.
    >> I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
    >> reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
    >> most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
    >> commission on sales.
    >
    >yeah, but I refuse to do business with spammers, period.
    That too. ;)

    Lionel Guest

  4. #4

    Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----

    ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
    print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
    about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
    client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
    all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly fees
    or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????

    "Lionel" <nopalt.net> wrote in message news:beaoif$uf4$1pita.alt.net...
    > On 6 Jul 2003 11:40:28 -0700, in
    > <9d2caaf1.0307061040.a857786posting.google.com> ,
    > [email]bluearchtopmy-deja.com[/email] (Ted Smith) said:
    >
    > >ImageDisplayWorks' (IDW) "Eye Select" is an end-to-end Internet
    > >software application that enables professional photographers to sell
    > >their photographs and manage their events online. Pricing starts at
    > >just $49.00/month (hosting included).
    >
    > Too expensive.
    > I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
    > reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
    > most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
    > commission on sales.
    >
    > --

    Graphic Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bep62c$e31$1slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, graphic99
    mindspring.com said...
    > Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----
    >
    > ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
    > print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
    > about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
    > client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
    > all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly fees
    > or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????
    At dotPhoto we allow photographers to charge their own prices. We take
    the CC fee (3%) plus our price for the print and 15% of the difference
    between our price and the custom price. You can sell one print per month
    or 10 thousand and there are no extra fees at this time.

    The only other option I've seen for photographers is to run their own
    sites and take orders and submit them by hand to an online site (or local
    lab), but that takes considerable time and expertise and additional money.
    Brad Guest

  6. #6

    "Graphic" <graphic99mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----
    >
    > ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
    > print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
    > about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
    > client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
    > all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly
    fees
    > or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????
    Running an internet site is an expensive business and they're not forcing
    you to do anything.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Paul

    "Paul Butzi" <usenetpbutzi.net> wrote in message
    > [url]http://www.butzi.net[/url]
    I notice you have advertised your COMMERCIAL website as well .. isn't that a
    tad like the pot calling the kettle black?

    As for the post .. I see no problem with posting a business into a
    newsgroup, they are not "non commercial". I feel the problem exists when
    people use the wrong newsgroup or insist on posting continually ... this
    is my opinion, it differs from yours and i'm sure everyone has their own.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:47:09 +1000, "VH-MR2"
    <sickoyouNOTREQUIREDZZZZZwarbirdz.net> wrote:
    >Hi Paul
    >
    >"Paul Butzi" <usenetpbutzi.net> wrote in message
    >news:7dj0hv81fa5fr7natovvqrog56u8tpq4bv4ax.com.. .
    >
    >> [url]http://www.butzi.net[/url]
    >
    >I notice you have advertised your COMMERCIAL website as well .. isn't that a
    >tad like the pot calling the kettle black?
    If you look around, you'll notice that the one acceptable way to
    mention a commercial enterprise with which you're associated is to put
    the URL or name of the business/contact info for the business in your
    ..sig. And that's been the case since 1981 or something like that, way
    back when usenet posts were passed from host to host using UUCP.

    If I posted in the rec.photo groups urging people to buy off my
    website (something I haven't done and don't plan to do) I would be
    pretty clearly over the line, and I would hope that someone would tell
    me to stop.

    I'll make a deal with you. I suggest that Richard Knoppow is the
    person who posts on rec.photo who is most held in extremely high
    regard. If you want me to delete the URL for my web site from my
    ..sig, I'll be happy to do it if you can get Richard to ask me to do
    it.
    >As for the post .. I see no problem with posting a business into a
    >newsgroup, they are not "non commercial". I feel the problem exists when
    >people use the wrong newsgroup or insist on posting continually ... this
    >is my opinion, it differs from yours and i'm sure everyone has their own.
    You may see no problem with it, and you may feel that the rec.photo
    groups are not "non-commercial" but you are just as wrong about this
    as you are about my .sig mentioning my website. You may find reading
    the charter for the rec.photo newsgroups helpful in straightening out
    your confusion.

    -Paul

    --
    [url]http://www.butzi.net[/url]

    Paul Butzi Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    VH-MR2 Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    In article <7dj0hv81fa5fr7natovvqrog56u8tpq4bv4ax.com>, [email]usenetpbutzi.net[/email]
    said...
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:14:38 -0400, Brad <bmurraydotphoto.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <bep62c$e31$1slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, graphic99
    > >mindspring.com said...
    > >> Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----
    > >>
    > >> ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
    > >> print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
    > >> about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
    > >> client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
    > >> all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly fees
    > >> or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????
    > >
    > >At dotPhoto we allow photographers to charge their own prices. We take
    > >the CC fee (3%) plus our price for the print and 15% of the difference
    > >between our price and the custom price. You can sell one print per month
    > >or 10 thousand and there are no extra fees at this time.
    > >
    > >The only other option I've seen for photographers is to run their own
    > >sites and take orders and submit them by hand to an online site (or local
    > >lab), but that takes considerable time and expertise and additional money.
    >
    > Please don't use the non-commercial newsgroups to promote your
    > business.
    >
    > All you will do is annoy part of your potential market and provide a
    > venue for people to make nasty comments about your business model,
    > which as far as I can tell are mostly warranted.
    >
    > Cut your losses now and stop.
    He was making a statement about the services available and there are
    options that he was obviously unaware of. I could have easily posted as
    an anonymous user and pretended to be a third party (as people often do
    when recommending companies), but I didn't because I didn't want to
    mislead anybody.
    Brad Guest

  11. #11

    In rec.photo.darkroom Brad <bmurraydotphoto.com> wrote:
    > He was making a statement about the services available and there are
    > options that he was obviously unaware of. I could have easily posted as
    > an anonymous user and pretended to be a third party (as people often do
    > when recommending companies), but I didn't because I didn't want to
    > mislead anybody.
    No a spammer was polluting the water. Isn't spam a crime in the US now?

    Nick
    Nick Zentena Guest

  12. #12

    Nick Zentena writes:
    > No a spammer was polluting the water. Isn't spam
    > a crime in the US now?
    Not yet, and in any case, posting to a newsgroup is not spamming.

    If you have a problem with a post, just don't read it. Do not expect
    the world to censor itself to match your criteria of acceptability.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  13. #13

    In rec.photo.darkroom Mxsmanic <mxsmanichotmail.com> wrote:
    > Nick Zentena writes:
    >
    >> No a spammer was polluting the water. Isn't spam
    >> a crime in the US now?
    >
    > Not yet, and in any case, posting to a newsgroup is not spamming.
    I'm guessing you've never heard of the green card spam?

    > If you have a problem with a post, just don't read it. Do not expect
    > the world to censor itself to match your criteria of acceptability.

    Try again.

    Nick
    Nick Zentena Guest

  14. #14

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:43:30 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanichotmail.com> wrote:
    >Nick Zentena writes:
    >
    >> No a spammer was polluting the water. Isn't spam
    >> a crime in the US now?
    >
    >Not yet, and in any case, posting to a newsgroup is not spamming.
    >
    >If you have a problem with a post, just don't read it. Do not expect
    >the world to censor itself to match your criteria of acceptability.
    I do expect it to follow the spirit of the charters though.

    Regards,

    John - Photographer & Webmaster - [url]http://www.darkroompro.com[/url]
    A summation of American society after 9/11:
    Never have so many known so much and yet done so little.
    John Guest

  15. #15

    "Nick Zentena" <zentenakriek.dyndns.org> wrote in message
    > In rec.photo.darkroom Brad <bmurraydotphoto.com> wrote:
    >
    > No a spammer was polluting the water. Isn't spam a crime in the US now?
    >
    > Nick
    It may be .. but he wasn't spamming.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  16. #16

    You realise that eventually it will be you who is censored as everyone
    silently killfiles you to get past your whining ...

    > In rec.photo.darkroom Mxsmanic <mxsmanichotmail.com> wrote:
    > > Nick Zentena writes:
    > >
    > >> No a spammer was polluting the water. Isn't spam
    > >> a crime in the US now?
    > >
    > > Not yet, and in any case, posting to a newsgroup is not spamming.
    >
    > I'm guessing you've never heard of the green card spam?
    >

    > > If you have a problem with a post, just don't read it. Do not expect
    > > the world to censor itself to match your criteria of acceptability.
    >

    > Try again.
    >
    > Nick

    VH-MR2 Guest

  17. #17

    Ah I see ...

    So it's not ok if OTHERS talk about their business .. but ok if YOU do so.

    I am actually aware of how the net works, I am merely pointing out the
    hypocritical intolerance of some. I think that if it's OK for you to
    advertise your business then others can do the same. I do. But I attempt
    to ensure that I keep it in the newsgroups that are relevant and minimise
    the amount of times I do so. Businesses that host images for photographers
    (I have one of those) benefit both the webmaster AND the photographer,
    particularly the semi-professional photographers or those who wish to be
    professional that frequent these newsgroups. On a personal note, I don't
    cross post into a number of newsgroups as the original poster did and would
    join in those who are disappointed at that behaviour.

    As you are most likely aware, those who buy images very rarely go and check
    out everyones individual websites, and the sale of images from there are
    limited. Stock photo agencies are a way for people to have their name out
    there, their images available and hopefully get some business.

    Whether you like the particular agency or not, and whether you are prepared
    to pay a monthly fee or not are individual choices that people should make
    for themselves rather than a decision that should be made by you.

    My 2c worth anyway.

  18. #18

    Nick Zentena writes:
    > I'm guessing you've never heard of the green card spam?
    I'm guessing that you don't want to hear or read anything that
    displeases you.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  19. #19

    John writes:
    > I do expect it to follow the spirit of the charters though.
    Nobody reads charters. The only guideline to the content of a newsgroup
    is its name.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  20. #20

    VH-MR2 writes:
    > Running an internet site is an expensive business ...
    That depends on the site.

    Mxsmanic Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast