Professional Web Applications Themes

Profile for Epson 2200 - Photography

Hello, I am looking for a free color profile for my Epson 2200 other than the one supplied by Epson or Tim Grey's on George Lepps site. Does anyone know of another source for a free profile for Epson's Luster paper when used in the 2200? Thanks, Cliff...

  1. #1

    Default Profile for Epson 2200

    Hello,

    I am looking for a free color profile for my Epson 2200 other than the one
    supplied by Epson or Tim Grey's on George Lepps site. Does anyone know of
    another source for a free profile for Epson's Luster paper when used in the
    2200?

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Profile for Epson 2200

    Why do you need another profile for luster? Are you having a problem?

    Jerry

    "Cliff Spicer" <cliffnospamcliffspicer.com> wrote in message
    news:LWlQa.1237$eP6.128002news20.bellglobal.com.. .
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for a free color profile for my Epson 2200 other than the one
    > supplied by Epson or Tim Grey's on George Lepps site. Does anyone know of
    > another source for a free profile for Epson's Luster paper when used in
    the
    > 2200?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Cliff

    Jerry Greer / Mountain Trail Press Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Jerry,

    I don't find the profiles that Tim or Epson have made to be great. I find
    them good but not great. They especially fall short in printing a duotone or
    black and white and I would like to try another for comparison. Even
    printing something out the same image with Tim's and Epson's give you a
    different look and they are both suposed to be accurate so I guess there is
    an art as well as a science to creating great profiles and I want to see
    someone else's for comparison.

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer Guest

  4. #4

    >From: "Cliff Spicer" [email]cliffnospamcliffspicer.com[/email]
    >I don't find the profiles that Tim or Epson have made to be great. I find
    >them good but not great ... Even
    >printing something out the same image with Tim's and Epson's give you a
    >different look and they are both suposed to be accurate so I guess there is
    >an art as well as a science to creating great profiles
    What you're probably running in to is the delta E of the different units. The
    Epson consumer grade models like the 2200 aren't built to the same tolerances
    as the professional models like the 7600 or 9600, so there's a larger
    difference in gamut between different units.

    For sure Tim used a different printer than did Epson (plus different software),
    which explains the differences in results. His profiles are about 300% larger
    than the Epson ones, so in theory should be more accurate (smaller steps in the
    look up tables). I've tested both sets of profiles on all six Epson 2200
    papers and liked Tim's better on some papers, especially for yellows, but on
    other papers didn't see much if any difference between them.

    If your particular printer has a really different gamut and you can't get a
    good match with the canned generic profiles you may need to get a custom
    profile built just for your printer. These are pretty expensive, around $100
    for each paper type for a really good one, but are the most accurate way to get
    the "perfect" ICM file. Just randomly trying another freebie profile isn't
    likely to do you much good.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Bill,

    I am going the custom profile route but wanted to see if something else was
    out there before. I don't really care about the cost because the savings in
    ink, paper and hair is well worth it. I have been told by many people that
    the guy to go to in Toronto is Angus Pady at
    [url]http://www.colourmanagement.ca/index.html[/url] . I know profiles can be had for
    cheaper but I like the idea the guy is in driving distance and has a shop I
    can go to if I have a problem.

    Let you know how it goes,

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Tom,

    I have had custom profiles made for my older Epson printers and used some
    canned ones as well. I know what you are saying about the black and white
    issue but if there is a color cast in the black and white image you can be
    assured in exists in the color image as well but is less noticable. From
    what I hear the guy who is making my profile (couriered the target today) is
    very good and he cam highly recommend to me from a number of people, in
    particular a friend of my wife's who owns a large print shop and has Angus
    come in and profile all his machines regularly. Take a look at how Angus has
    you set up for the profiile. It is much different that anything else I have
    seen in that he does not have you turn off all the color controls. What do
    you think?

  7. #7

    "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665aol.comedy> wrote in message
    .....<cut>....he
    > said there was too much variation between units on the 2200, so he didn't
    > release profiles for that model.
    Think Epson had that figured out? Kinda thought there was a pretty good
    reason Epson packaged a flyer with the 2200 recommending the Monaco
    profiling system;) That's what I set mine up with and was not a happy camper
    until I did...........just one more example of how 'not' free all this free
    digital stuff really is:) $700 printer that requires coming off the hip for
    another $250 - $400! Will say, after all that, these things never cease to
    amaze in the quality of the print....

    Shoot'em up, print with anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will
    love you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you very much, if I wish to have a profile for my particular
    printer, could you please refer me to a reasonably good firm who would
    do this? I am likely to use only two kind of papers, and would be
    prepared to incur the expense.

    In article <sMTQa.1589$ym.431968news20.bellglobal.com>, Cliff Spicer
    <cliffnospamcliffspicer.com> writes
    > I have to do/ whom to ask to get what you call a
    >custom profile
    >
    >A profile is created by printing out a target that has many colors on it
    >(700+ for accurate profiles)and known values. These patches of colors are
    >read by a device and the values are compared with the know values. The
    >difference in values are used to make a profile that corrects for your
    >printers incorrect color. Then when in an profile friendly printing
    >applications such as Photoshop you will use this new profile which is unique
    >to your printer as your new printer color space. Epson releases profiles for
    >most of their printers on their site and these are what are called canned
    >profiles. Meaning that one profile is suppose to work for all the printers
    >of the same model out there. As has been pointed out one profile for all
    >printers is not good enough for some and they want to have someone create a
    >profile unique to their printer and it's characteristics. I should also
    >mention that you need a new profile for every paper you use. The luster
    >profile will not work on glossy stock. To get these made there are many
    >services out there and the reputable ones are using hardware that runs
    >upwards of $7000. Therefore you can expect to pay $100 at least for a good
    >profile. The other route is to buy a cheaper $300+ software solution to
    >create your own profiles. The targets you print out are scanned in and then
    >the patches are read by the software. I have tried a few of these packages
    >and never even got to where Epson has with their generic profile but it is a
    >good solution if you print on many different papers because it'll get
    >expensive if you have custom profiles made for 5 different papers.
    >
    >All the best,
    >
    >Cliff

    Nobody
    nobody nowhere Guest

  9. #9

    "nobody nowhere" <demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    Chromix or Profile City, both on the 'Net.

    Flycaster Guest