Professional Web Applications Themes

Profiling Cursor Activity - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I have a .Net app which calls a stored proc. Inside the stored proc, a cursor is created, opened and executed. However, none of this cursor activity is showing up in Profiler. I have all the Cursor events selected, with no filters in place. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, J.R. Largo SQL Tools The Finest Collection of SQL Tools Available [url]http://www.largosqltools.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Profiling Cursor Activity

    I have a .Net app which calls a stored proc. Inside the stored proc, a
    cursor is created, opened and executed. However, none of this cursor
    activity is showing up in Profiler. I have all the Cursor events selected,
    with no filters in place. Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks,

    J.R.
    Largo SQL Tools
    The Finest Collection of SQL Tools Available
    [url]http://www.largosqltools.com[/url]

    Largo SQL Tools Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Profiling Cursor Activity

    Select the event "TSQL" >
    Class "SQL:stmtcompleted"

    --
    -Vishal

    "Largo SQL Tools" <nospam> wrote in message
    > I have a .Net app which calls a stored proc. Inside the stored proc, a
    > cursor is created, opened and executed. However, none of this cursor
    > activity is showing up in Profiler. I have all the Cursor events
    selected,
    > with no filters in place. Am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > J.R.
    > Largo SQL Tools
    > The Finest Collection of SQL Tools Available
    > [url]http://www.largosqltools.com[/url]

    Vishal Parkar Guest

  3. #3

    I may be wrong since I never had the need to trace a user generated cursor
    in profiler but I believe the cursor events are used when a driver such as
    odbc generates a server side cursor to process the results of a request that
    happens to need a server side cursor to work vs a client side one. The
    SQL:stmtcompleted should get you each line of code executed as it goes
    along. Why would you need to know the cursor type? Didn't you declare it
    to begin with?

    --

    Andrew J. Kelly
    SQL Server MVP

    > Vishal,
    >
    > I don't understand. If I have to select the SQL:stmtcompleted event, what
    > are the Cursor events for? Furthermore, what do I do with the
    > SQL:stmtcompleted event? For example, how do I determine the cursor type
    > etc?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > "Vishal Parkar" <vgparkarhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Select the event "TSQL" >
    > > Class "SQL:stmtcompleted"
    > >
    > > --
    > > -Vishal
    > >
    > > "Largo SQL Tools" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > > I have a .Net app which calls a stored proc. Inside the stored proc,
    > > > cursor is created, opened and executed. However, none of this cursor
    > > > activity is showing up in Profiler. I have all the Cursor events
    > > selected,
    > > > with no filters in place. Am I doing something wrong?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > J.R.
    > > > Largo SQL Tools
    > > > The Finest Collection of SQL Tools Available
    > > > [url]http://www.largosqltools.com[/url]

    Andrew J. Kelly Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Andrew,

    You are right that I would know what type of cursors I create. But there
    are times I want to track cursors being used from other apps, and the stored
    proc may be encrypted etc., so I cannot see what types of cursors are being
    used. I was mostly curious as to why the cursor operations in my stored
    proc were not showing up. I think you helped me a bit to understand why.