Professional Web Applications Themes

Program Conflicts & crashes with PE2.0 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I've installed PE 2.0 successfully on a Win98 machine running Norton Internet Security & Norton System Works. I also have AutoCAD 2000Lti, MS Office etc... I just can't get PE 2.0 to load as it gets almost there when it crashes to a Blue Screen which reads:- "A Fatal Exception OE has occurred at 0028C02A20CC in VXD VWIN32 (05) +00000BF4. The current application will be terminated" I can't find any reference to any of this through the find files & folders option. Although I can find the BF4 part in Norton Internet Security somewhere. Does anybody know what the cause ...

  1. #1

    Default Program Conflicts & crashes with PE2.0

    I've installed PE 2.0 successfully on a Win98 machine running Norton Internet Security & Norton System Works. I also have AutoCAD 2000Lti, MS Office etc... I just can't get PE 2.0 to load as it gets almost there when it crashes to a Blue Screen which reads:-

    "A Fatal Exception OE has occurred at 0028C02A20CC in VXD VWIN32 (05) +00000BF4. The current application will be terminated"

    I can't find any reference to any of this through the find files & folders option. Although I can find the BF4 part in Norton Internet Security somewhere. Does anybody know what the cause of this error is, could it be a problem with too many fonts or is it a program conflict? I've tried loading the software with everything turned on & running and also with all the norton stuff disabled (Incidentally I installed PE2.0 with all the Norton stuff disabled - do I just need to get shot of the Norton stuff??)...Any ideas...Please!
    Kevin Kendal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Program Conflicts & crashes with PE2.0

    Because you've got Norton on your computer, that might be your problem. Although there aren't any guarantees, Norton and Adobe products do have a reputation for fights on the playground. Is it possible to remove the Norton and see what happens? I guess what I'm thinking is just doing a "process of elimination" to see if you can come up with a combination that allows Elements to run. Office should be OK, but I don't know about the AutoCad. It's not an extremely common program for other Elements users to run, so I don't think we've had any "experience" with it.

    Have you also tried installing in Safe Mode after the Norton removal? That might help, although I'm not a Windows guru by any means.

    Edit: If you are running a lot of extra fonts, you might try moving some of them out. I've heard more often that this problem surfaces while Elements is loading, and a error comes up at "loading fonts". Also, have you done system maintenance lately? What are the specs for your computer? The box says minimum RAM requirement is 128MB, but that's really not enough if you really want to be able to use the software! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Beth,

    Thanks for the advice, I may well try to remove the Norton software bit by bit, although I obviously still need to have an operational Virus Scanner.

    My system is a Pentium with a 20Gb hard drive (about 16GB of it is free) running with 248Mb of Ram (hopefully that's about enough).

    I know Norton had caused problems in the past as it really messed up AutoCAD completely, wouldn't even get to the splash screen without crashing. The problem I have is that I need both CAD and PE2.0 for work so I can't realistically uninstall CAD.

    I've not tried safe mode at the moment but it might be worht a look, also I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary in the way of fonts - My fonts folder has 237 in it.

    As far as the software on the system goes, I've got Norton x 2, MS Office, AutoCAD, some Epson scanner & Printer Software, my Fuji camera software, and the usual drivers and whatnot for the CD burner, and also Hotmetal Pro 6.0 plus the Ulead components for website construction...what else, oh quicktime, CuteFTP and also Corel Print Office 2000.

    I suppose it's more than possible that any one of these pieces of software could cause a conflict somewhere along the line..... It does sound like Norton may be the problem though...can you recommend a good alternative virus scanner?
    Kevin Kendal Guest

  4. #4

    Kevin, you might want to try McAfee Antivirus as an alternative to Norton;
    several forum participants have used it with no Elements conflicts.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    I have Norton and all i have ever done was use the 'desable' feature until i had the programs installed then flipped the switch back on...no problems, ever.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  6. #6

    Read this Knowledge base article before you do anything drastic:
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f03e.htm>

    From the article: "Program errors, or blue- or black-screen crashes indicate damaged or outdated software, such as video adapters, other hardware drivers, or Windows system files."

    I have an AMD processor and was having blue screen shut downs. The problem was totally cured when I renamed/disabled the Photoshop Elements 2/Plug-ins/Extensions folder. The extensions in this plug-ins folder are specific to Pentium processors. Although this solution worked for me, you might want to read the article in case you are have have one of the other known conflicts. Anti-virus software is not mentioned.

    Patti
    Patti Anderson Guest

  7. #7

    Same as Jodi here. At times, it will prevent a program from lauching, but all I do is disable it
    for a short time.

    Ray Guest