Professional Web Applications Themes

Programmer's unpaid overtime. - SCO

Is it fair for programmers to work long hours of overtime and not get paid for the work? If you are a programmer who has been working for a while you probably know there can be some issues with not getting paid for overtime. Companies can take advantage of programmers with the long hours needed to complete projects. If you feel you are having difficulty getting paid for what you have done, you are not alone. There are people out there who are willing to lend a hand. Check out this site: http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/computer.html You can send them a complaint for ...

  1. #1

    Default Programmer's unpaid overtime.

    Is it fair for programmers to work long hours of overtime and not get
    paid for the work? If you are a programmer who has been working for a
    while you probably
    know there can be some issues with not getting paid for overtime.
    Companies can take advantage of programmers with the long hours needed
    to complete projects. If you feel you are having difficulty getting
    paid for what you have
    done, you are not alone. There are people out there who are willing to
    lend a hand. Check out this site:
    http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/computer.html
    You can send them a complaint for free and they pass them along to
    lawyers for evaluation. This one seems to be specifically for
    programmers who have worked for Computer Sciences Corporation. There
    is, however, lots of other info on the site that might be more to what
    you need, but this is a currently hot subject. I hope this might help
    somebody out.

    kr0
    Kent Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Programmer's unpaid overtime.

    Kent Ross typed (on Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:17:08AM -0800):
    | Is it fair for programmers to work long hours of overtime and not get
    | paid for the work? If you are a programmer who has been working for a
    | while you probably
    | know there can be some issues with not getting paid for overtime.
    | Companies can take advantage of programmers with the long hours needed
    | to complete projects. If you feel you are having difficulty getting
    | paid for what you have
    | done, you are not alone. There are people out there who are willing to
    | lend a hand. Check out this site:
    | http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/computer.html
    | You can send them a complaint for free and they pass them along to
    | lawyers for evaluation. This one seems to be specifically for
    | programmers who have worked for Computer Sciences Corporation. There
    | is, however, lots of other info on the site that might be more to what
    | you need, but this is a currently hot subject. I hope this might help
    | somebody out.
    |
    | kr0

    There are many advantages to getting paid hourly for
    both employee and employer:

    1. Anything over 40 hours per week is paid over-time.
    Employee does not feel their time is abused.
    2. In the event vacation/sick time has expired for a given year
    then employee can take the time off without pay.
    Employer does not feel their time is abused.
    3. If an employee "occasionally" arrives late to work, or leaves early
    from work does not financially hurt the company.
    Other employees do not feel slighted that they worked the required hours
    while the other guy gets the same pay for less hours, which causes a
    ripple effect to see who can play catch-up on missing time.
    4. It should be encouraged by employer that time be taken off to do
    things with the family that are in short time amounts:
    a. Parent/Teacher meetings
    b. Field trips with children
    c. Doctors appointments
    d. Trip to the zoo or anything fun with the family.
    5. Most times when an employee is paid a "Salary" is where he/she
    can (and will) get ed.

    PS: I've not looked at the URL you mention above. I hope this is not
    a method to gather programmers names for a head-hunting service.

    - Jeff Hyman
    Jeff Guest

  3. #3

    On 5 Nov 2003 11:17:08 -0800, com (Kent Ross) wrote:

    No, it's not fair, but it's a fact of life and those of us with a few
    million lines of code under our belts are well aware of it. If you
    don't like it, find another job. I don't mind putting in a few extra
    hours if the end result makes my life easier, looks better on my CV,
    and/or gets me the hot chicks ;-)

    I'm sure firemen don't get paid extra to drag out charred corpses, and
    nurses don't get paid extra to suffer verbal abuse from drunken
    out-patients. The poor SCO resellers don't earn any more by having the
    president of their supply company make them look like a bunch of money
    grabbing, lying, soulless s. This is the real world.

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest