Professional Web Applications Themes

Programming Alternative to Shockwave3D - Macromedia Director 3D

I'm looking to create a W3D file out of code. Doesn't really matter what language. I am new to Director, but have found that OpenGL can be used with it. If I could create my 3D objects with code and somehow change them to W3D files and then move them about in Director 3D, this would be great. Is there anything out there like this?...

  1. #1

    Default Programming Alternative to Shockwave3D

    Frolicing Fiend webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Programming Alternative to Shockwave3D

    google around a bit and u may find something, as far as i know the w3d
    format itself is not an officially open format.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/downloads.html[/url]

    u can get some OBJ converter xtras there. so u could code your mesh in
    whatever language or program u want, have that write to a OBJ file, and have
    the xtra convert that to w3d. kind of a bersome process.

    u can create meshes from scratch entirely in lingo though. i have done it
    myself, if u are a knowledgeable 3d programmer it is fairly easy, and u can
    easily manipulate the vertices at runtime as well. i am not sure if lingo
    models suffer from any kind of performance deficiencies that a w3d model
    would not. i know a lingo mesh will need to be built, with the build
    command, which requires some processing, but other than that issue i am not
    sure, maybe one of the director gurus in the forum here can answer that one.

    i have a modeling app i am working on myself, and i was thinking about
    simply writing an exporter for it that exports a lingo script instead of
    writing a w3d file, it is an architectural-cad program. so i would like to
    know myself for sure right now, what makes a lingo mesh slower than a w3d
    one other than the fact that it needs to be built at runtime??

    so depending on what other people say, u may be better off just creating the
    mesh in lingo. but again google around some, i am sure there is other stuff
    out there.

    james

    "Frolicing Fiend" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to create a W3D file out of code. Doesn't really matter what
    language. I am new to Director, but have found that OpenGL can be used with
    it. If I could create my 3D objects with code and somehow change them to
    W3D files and then move them about in Director 3D, this would be great. Is
    there anything out there like this?

    james Guest

  3. #3

    If you mean developping your own C++ app to create OpenGL scenes and export
    to the W3D format, then you can register to be a licensed macromedia
    software developer and have access to the Shockwave 3D SDK.

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest