Professional Web Applications Themes

progress bar or guage bar - ASP

Hi all, Is it possible to do a progress bar of gauge bar in asp? If possible could someone show some sample code on it. Many thanks, Rob...

  1. #1

    Default progress bar or guage bar

    Hi all,

    Is it possible to do a progress bar of gauge bar in asp? If possible could
    someone show some sample code on it.

    Many thanks,
    Rob

    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: progress bar or guage bar

    Depends on what for.... but basically, nope. ASP is redered in whole at the
    server and the HTML if flushed down stream. Personally.....go with an
    animated GIF and hide/show it.
    See [url]http://www.darkfalz.com/1058[/url]

    Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]

    "Rob" <hdw.reportingbtopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to do a progress bar of gauge bar in asp? If possible
    could
    > someone show some sample code on it.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Rob

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    You can do a 'sort of' progress bar if you create a button (<INPUT
    type="button"/>) and then as the page content loads use an embedded
    Javascript to change the value (eg. text) of the button.
    I think you have to set Response.Buffer = True and repeatedly call
    Response.Flush after you write the JavaScript bit.

    Chris.

    "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > Depends on what for.... but basically, nope. ASP is redered in whole at
    the
    > server and the HTML if flushed down stream. Personally.....go with an
    > animated GIF and hide/show it.
    > See [url]http://www.darkfalz.com/1058[/url]
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    >
    > "Rob" <hdw.reportingbtopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to do a progress bar of gauge bar in asp? If possible
    > could
    > > someone show some sample code on it.
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > > Rob

    Chris Barber Guest

  4. #4

    That depends on what you're doing....

    If you have 100 submitted records to update on the server (and it might take
    a while) then you can write out an update every ten records and flush it to
    the client. That seems pretty accurate.

    Tim.

    > It's really nothing much different then the link I posted. It's still not
    an
    > accurate percentage and is only a kludge with the same result. Would you
    > rather have an inaccurate reading or a simple animation/message indicating
    > it's still processing?
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    >
    > "Chris Barber" <chrisblue-canoe.co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > > You can do a 'sort of' progress bar if you create a button (<INPUT
    > > type="button"/>) and then as the page content loads use an embedded
    > > Javascript to change the value (eg. text) of the button.
    > > I think you have to set Response.Buffer = True and repeatedly call
    > > Response.Flush after you write the JavaScript bit.
    > >
    > > Chris.
    > >
    > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > > Depends on what for.... but basically, nope. ASP is redered in whole
    at
    > > the
    > > > server and the HTML if flushed down stream. Personally.....go with an
    > > > animated GIF and hide/show it.
    > > > See [url]http://www.darkfalz.com/1058[/url]
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > > > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > > > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > > > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    > > >
    > > > "Rob" <hdw.reportingbtopenworld.com> wrote in message

    > > > could

    Tim Williams Guest

  5. #5

    rare instance, but true.
    I would think the overhead of Write, Flush would outweight the benefit, plus
    it would be too fast to notice most likely...

    "Tim Williams" <saxifraxpacbellremovethis.net> wrote in message
    > That depends on what you're doing....
    >
    > If you have 100 submitted records to update on the server (and it might
    take
    > a while) then you can write out an update every ten records and flush it
    > the client. That seems pretty accurate.
    >
    > Tim.
    >

    > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > It's really nothing much different then the link I posted. It's still
    not
    > an
    > > accurate percentage and is only a kludge with the same result. Would you
    > > rather have an inaccurate reading or a simple animation/message
    indicating
    > > it's still processing?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    > >
    > > "Chris Barber" <chrisblue-canoe.co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > > > You can do a 'sort of' progress bar if you create a button (<INPUT
    > > > type="button"/>) and then as the page content loads use an embedded
    > > > Javascript to change the value (eg. text) of the button.
    > > > I think you have to set Response.Buffer = True and repeatedly call
    > > > Response.Flush after you write the JavaScript bit.
    > > >
    > > > Chris.
    > > >
    > > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > at
    > > > the

    > possible

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  6. #6

    I agree that it's not always applicable, but can be useful in (rare)
    cirstances, such as when having to conduct a relatively slow operation in
    a loop.

    As you note, if the response.write and flush are enough to significantly
    slow down execution of the page then you probably don't need it.

    tim

    > rare instance, but true.
    > I would think the overhead of Write, Flush would outweight the benefit,
    plus
    > it would be too fast to notice most likely...
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    >
    > "Tim Williams" <saxifraxpacbellremovethis.net> wrote in message
    > > That depends on what you're doing....
    > >
    > > If you have 100 submitted records to update on the server (and it might
    > take
    > > a while) then you can write out an update every ten records and flush it
    > > the client. That seems pretty accurate.
    > >
    > > Tim.
    > >

    > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > > It's really nothing much different then the link I posted. It's still
    > not
    > > an
    > > > accurate percentage and is only a kludge with the same result. Would
    you
    > > > rather have an inaccurate reading or a simple animation/message
    > indicating
    > > > it's still processing?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > > > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > > > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > > > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    > > >
    > > > "Chris Barber" <chrisblue-canoe.co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message

    > > at
    > an

    > > possible

    Tim Williams Guest

  7. #7

    I have used it to good effect in intranet applications where database
    pre-processing may take up to 30 seconds to achieve (we're talking Stored
    Procedures checking over 100s of millions of rows in batches of approx. 1
    million - GPS positions for tracked vehicles) and I can tell you that users
    get all ready to click like crazy unless you give them a % progress bar.

    Chris.

    > I agree that it's not always applicable, but can be useful in (rare)
    > cirstances, such as when having to conduct a relatively slow operation
    in
    > a loop.
    >
    > As you note, if the response.write and flush are enough to significantly
    > slow down execution of the page then you probably don't need it.
    >

    > tim
    >

    > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > rare instance, but true.
    > > I would think the overhead of Write, Flush would outweight the benefit,
    > plus
    > > it would be too fast to notice most likely...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    > >
    > > "Tim Williams" <saxifraxpacbellremovethis.net> wrote in message
    > > > That depends on what you're doing....
    > > >
    > > > If you have 100 submitted records to update on the server (and it
    might
    > > take
    > > > a while) then you can write out an update every ten records and flush
    it
    > > > the client. That seems pretty accurate.
    > > >
    > > > Tim.
    > > >

    > > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > not
    > > > an
    > you
    > > indicating

    > whole
    > > > at
    > > an

    > > > possible

    Chris Barber Guest

  8. #8

    not to mention that there seems to be almost a "standard" of animation as a
    wait indicator in web programming.

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  9. #9

    Well - yes but not for 'real' situations that warrant letting the user
    actually know when something will finsh as opposed to saying 'It might
    finish sometime or of course it could be hung with an error at the server
    that I'm not going to tell you about'.
    A classic good use of a progress bar is the Windows Update. That can take up
    to a minute or more and it's nice to able to see the % (whether actual or
    estimated) progress.

    LoL.

    > not to mention that there seems to be almost a "standard" of animation as
    > wait indicator in web programming.
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    >
    > "Tim Williams" <saxifraxpacbellremovethis.net> wrote in message
    > > I agree that it's not always applicable, but can be useful in (rare)
    > > cirstances, such as when having to conduct a relatively slow
    operation
    > in
    > > a loop.
    > >
    > > As you note, if the response.write and flush are enough to significantly
    > > slow down execution of the page then you probably don't need it.
    > >

    > > tim
    > >

    > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > > rare instance, but true.
    > > > I would think the overhead of Write, Flush would outweight the
    benefit,
    > > plus
    > > > it would be too fast to notice most likely...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > > > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > > > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > > > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    > > >
    > > > "Tim Williams" <saxifraxpacbellremovethis.net> wrote in message

    > might
    > > > take
    > it

    > still
    > > > not
    Would
    > > you
    > > > indicating

    > embedded

    > > whole
    > with
    > > > an

    Chris Barber Guest

  10. #10

    hehehehehe.....
    A good debate is hard to come by these days without tempers flaring... I do
    so enjoy the little things :}

    Your points are well made though and I do concede it's usefullness, just
    wish it was easier to impliment accurately.

    > It's not really a requirement for it to be an ActiveX component - I was
    more
    > trying to point out the obvious benefit of a progress bar Vs. an animated
    > gif in certain situations even with web stuff. It is conceivable to add a
    > time remaining function to a simple progress bar served from ASP using the
    > .Flush mechanism.
    >
    > Anyway - I get the feeling we both know what we're on about and that we're
    > not really disagreeing on anything so I'll leave off now.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris.
    >
    > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > Ahh yes, but then you are talking an ActiveX component, not HTML/ASP....
    > >
    > > If you can get them to use the component then definately give them the
    > > accurate reading. It's getting them to trust you and install it that
    leads
    > > to difficulties.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    > >
    > > "Chris Barber" <chrisblue-canoe.co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > > > Well - yes but not for 'real' situations that warrant letting the user
    > > > actually know when something will finsh as opposed to saying 'It might
    > > > finish sometime or of course it could be hung with an error at the
    > server
    > > > that I'm not going to tell you about'.
    > > > A classic good use of a progress bar is the Windows Update. That can
    > take
    > > up
    > > > to a minute or more and it's nice to able to see the % (whether actual
    > or
    > > > estimated) progress.
    > > >
    > > > LoL.
    > > >
    > > > Chris.
    > > >
    > > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > as

    > > > operation

    > > significantly

    > > > benefit,

    > it
    > > > flush

    > It's
    > > > Would
    > animation/message

    > message
    > > > (<INPUT
    > repeatedly
    > > > call

    > redered
    > > in
    > > Personally.....go

    > > If

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  11. #11

    Sounds good to me.
    Anytime someone is by the central Wisconsin area let me know.....heck, I'll
    buy the first round. Johnny Walker Blue sound bout right? :}

    Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]

    "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <rayajf8jalskdfna.sefrhja7yasdf.com> wrote in
    message news:#c5oW$BSDHA.2316tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Count me in for the next debate, although I'd prefer that it be over a
    > couple of beers. I designate Chris Barber to drive though. :]
    >
    > Ray at home
    >

    > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > hehehehehe.....
    > > A good debate is hard to come by these days without tempers flaring... I
    > do
    > > so enjoy the little things :}
    > >
    > > Your points are well made though and I do concede it's usefullness, just
    > > wish it was easier to impliment accurately.
    > >
    > > --

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  12. #12

    Wisconsin eh! - I'll drop by on my way to Barbados in about 6 weeks - OK?

    Now .. Wisconsin is about as far as London from Derbyshire (120 miles?) ...
    wheres that Cubs map of the world gone now .... LoL.

    > Sounds good to me.
    > Anytime someone is by the central Wisconsin area let me know.....heck,
    I'll
    > buy the first round. Johnny Walker Blue sound bout right? :}
    >

    > --
    > Curt Christianson (Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com)
    > Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
    > [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > ..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
    >
    > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <rayajf8jalskdfna.sefrhja7yasdf.com> wrote in
    > message news:#c5oW$BSDHA.2316tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > Count me in for the next debate, although I'd prefer that it be over a
    > > couple of beers. I designate Chris Barber to drive though. :]
    > >
    > > Ray at home
    > >

    > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > > hehehehehe.....
    > > > A good debate is hard to come by these days without tempers flaring...
    > > do
    > > > so enjoy the little things :}
    > > >
    > > > Your points are well made though and I do concede it's usefullness,
    just
    > > > wish it was easier to impliment accurately.
    > > >
    > > > --

    Chris Barber Guest