Professional Web Applications Themes

Project Builder: moving projects? - Mac Programming

I'm using Apple's Project Builder (v2.1, from the 12/02 tools) to develop a Java tool. I need to do development on two different machines, moving my project directory back and forth. Problem: when i do so, PB gives me a stream of "Missing file or directory" errors, with the listed file paths being on the previous machine. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of these. I set the files to use Project Relative reference styles: uhh uh. I delete the original files and add them back in at their new locations: nope (even ...

  1. #1

    Default Project Builder: moving projects?

    I'm using Apple's Project Builder (v2.1, from the 12/02 tools) to
    develop a Java tool. I need to do development on two different machines,
    moving my project directory back and forth. Problem: when i do so, PB
    gives me a stream of "Missing file or directory" errors, with the listed
    file paths being on the previous machine.

    I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of these. I set the
    files to use Project Relative reference styles: uhh uh. I delete the
    original files and add them back in at their new locations: nope (even
    when all the original are gone, PB still complains about missing them).
    Somehow, deep in its configuration files, PB has written down the
    absolute paths to those files, and won't let go of them.

    For even more fun, when I move the project back to its original location
    on the first machine, it starts complaining about files on the OTHER
    machine. No way to win.

    Any suggestions on how to build a portable Project Builder project?

    Thanks,
    Dan

    --
    Daniel T. Griscom Work: (781) 665-0053
    Suitable Systems Fax: (781) 665-7106

  2. #2

    Default Re: Project Builder: moving projects?

    Daniel Griscom <griscomsuitable.com> wrote:
    > I'm using Apple's Project Builder (v2.1, from the 12/02 tools) to
    > develop a Java tool. I need to do development on two different machines,
    > moving my project directory back and forth. Problem: when i do so, PB
    > gives me a stream of "Missing file or directory" errors, with the listed
    > file paths being on the previous machine.
    >
    > I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of these. I set the
    > files to use Project Relative reference styles: uhh uh. I delete the
    > original files and add them back in at their new locations: nope (even
    > when all the original are gone, PB still complains about missing them).
    > Somehow, deep in its configuration files, PB has written down the
    > absolute paths to those files, and won't let go of them.
    >
    > For even more fun, when I move the project back to its original location
    > on the first machine, it starts complaining about files on the OTHER
    > machine. No way to win.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to build a portable Project Builder project?
    Learn CVS and use it. Use one machine as the repository, and have both
    machines check out the source from it.

    <http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/cvsoverview.html> for a
    tutorial overview, and ProjectBuilder and cvs docs on your hard drive.
    Paul Mitchum Guest

  3. #3

    In <1fy3czt.aj2sgk1jjq671N%usenetmile23.com> Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > Daniel Griscom <griscomsuitable.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Apple's Project Builder (v2.1, from the 12/02 tools) to
    >> develop a Java tool. I need to do development on two different
    >> machines, moving my project directory back and forth. Problem: when i
    >> do so, PB gives me a stream of "Missing file or directory" errors,
    >> with the listed file paths being on the previous machine. I can't
    >> for the life of me figure out how to get rid of these. I set the
    >> files to use Project Relative reference styles: uhh uh. I delete the
    >> original files and add them back in at their new locations: nope (
    >> even when all the original are gone, PB still complains about missing
    >> them). Somehow, deep in its configuration files, PB has written down
    >> the absolute paths to those files, and won't let go of them. For
    >> even more fun, when I move the project back to its original location
    >> on the first machine, it starts complaining about files on the OTHER
    >> machine. No way to win.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to build a portable Project Builder project?
    >
    > Learn CVS and use it
    That's no kind of an answer. I move projects all the time and don't have
    any problem. We need to know why the OP does. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  4. #4

    In article <20030714170750400-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > That's no kind of an answer. I move projects all the time and don't have
    > any problem. We need to know why the OP does. m.
    His folders and files are referenced by absolute path. Inspector window and a
    lot of diddling around with making the paths project-relative should fix it.

    meeroh
    Miro Jurisic Guest

  5. #5

    In <macdev-5C3B4F.21333314072003senator-bedfellow.mit.edu> Miro Jurisic
    wrote:
    > In article <20030714170750400-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    > matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    >
    >> That's no kind of an answer. I move projects all the time and don't
    >> have any problem. We need to know why the OP does. m.
    >
    > His folders and files are referenced by absolute path
    He says they are not. m.

  6. #6

    In article <20030714193037717-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > In <macdev-5C3B4F.21333314072003senator-bedfellow.mit.edu> Miro Jurisic
    > wrote:
    > > In article <20030714170750400-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    > > matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> That's no kind of an answer. I move projects all the time and don't
    > >> have any problem. We need to know why the OP does. m.
    > >
    > > His folders and files are referenced by absolute path
    >
    > He says they are not. m.
    Here's the repro steps:

    - Start Project Builder (again, from the December '02 developer tools)

    - Choose New Project, and choose Java Tool

    - Create new project in default directory called "PDAServer" (the name
    of my primary class) (full path is /Users/griscom/PDAServer)

    - Wait for PB to index every Java class known to mankind

    - In the Finder, copy my source files to the PDAServer directory
    (replacing the PDAServer.java automatically created)

    - Drag all the .java files (except for PDAServer.java) onto the project
    window. Do not copy items to destination group, reference style Default,
    target PDAServer.

    - In the project window, check .java file properties: all have Reference
    Style: Group Relative

    - Build project (it works)

    - Quit PB

    - Make new folder called "CurveBall"; place the PDAServer folder inside
    it (full path is now /Users/griscom/CurveBall/PDAServer)

    - Start PB with PDAServer.pbproj

    - Confirm that the file browser can find all the files

    - Click "Build"

    - Stare astonished at the build errors:

    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Manager.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Player.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/PlayerMaker.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Master.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Slave.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/MasterMaker.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/SlaveMaker.java

    - Wonder why PDAServer.java is the ONLY file the compiler could find.

    .... so, what am I doing wrong?

    Many thanks,
    Dan

  7. #7

    In article <PM0003C276F0ADE2A1minion.nashville.comcast.net >,
    Jhnny Fvrt (it means "genetic antagonism") <this.isfake.com>
    wrote:
    > Daniel Griscom wrote:
    > > - Drag all the .java files (except for PDAServer.java) onto the
    > > project window. Do not copy items to destination group, reference
    > > style Default, target PDAServer.
    >
    > That, I believe, is your problem. You want "Project Relative," not
    > "Default."
    In this case, "Default" means "Group Relative." In case this was wrong,
    I did the following (starting with the previous project):

    - Moved the project back to its original location

    - Cleaned and built: it worked

    - Did a "Show Info" on all the source files, and changed them to
    "Project Relative"; checked a few of the files to make sure it took

    - Cleaned and built: worked again

    - Quit PB

    - Moved the project back into the "Curveball" directory

    - Opened the project

    - Cleaned and built:

    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Manager.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Player.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/PlayerMaker.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Master.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Slave.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/MasterMaker.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/SlaveMaker.java
    Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/MyQueue.java

    Any other ideas? Is this a bug in PB's handling of drag-and-dropped
    files?

    Thanks,
    Dan

  8. #8

    Daniel Griscom wrote:
    > - Cleaned and built:
    >
    > Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Manager.java
    > [etc.]
    See, right there, that looks wrong. It should be showing paths similar
    to ../../filename or something like that.

    I am using Project Builder for C/C++/ObjC projects, not Java, but I
    would think the concepts would be the same.

    In the main PB window, there's a Targets tab. From that pane I can
    double-click on the name of the project at the top, next to the
    bullseye, to get another window. In that window, there's a deal on the
    left called "Build Phases," and two of the items underneath that are
    "Headers" and "Sources," which list all my header files and source
    files, respectively. Paths are all shown relative there, in the form
    ../../Path/Filename.ext. I can't really follow your steps well enough
    to figure out what you did different from me any better than that,
    though.
    Jhnny Fvrt (it means genetic antagonism) Guest

  9. #9

    In article <PM0003C28203532E85minion.nashville.comcast.net >,
    wrote:
    > Daniel Griscom wrote:
    > > - Cleaned and built:
    > >
    > > Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Manager.java
    > > [etc.]
    >
    > See, right there, that looks wrong. It should be showing paths similar
    > to ../../filename or something like that.
    Nope: all the paths I see are absolute. But that gives me another test
    to see when things are going OK.
    > I am using Project Builder for C/C++/ObjC projects, not Java, but I
    > would think the concepts would be the same.
    >
    > In the main PB window, there's a Targets tab. From that pane I can
    > double-click on the name of the project at the top, next to the
    > bullseye, to get another window. In that window, there's a deal on the
    > left called "Build Phases," and two of the items underneath that are
    > "Headers" and "Sources," which list all my header files and source
    > files, respectively. Paths are all shown relative there, in the form
    > ./../Path/Filename.ext. I can't really follow your steps well enough
    > to figure out what you did different from me any better than that,
    > though.
    I see a list of files. Each file has "j" icon (for Java, I presume),
    followed by the name of the file. No path whatsoever.

    Thanks for the feedback, all, but I'm pushing to shipping a delivery,
    and will then leave for vacation about 1ns after that. When I get back
    I'll look back into this.

    Thanks again,
    Dan

  10. #10

    Daniel Griscom <griscomsuitable.com> wrote:
    > In article <PM0003C28203532E85minion.nashville.comcast.net >, Jhnny
    > Fvrt (it means "genetic antagonism") <this.isfake.com> wrote:
    > > Daniel Griscom wrote:
    > > > - Cleaned and built:
    > > >
    > > > Missing file or directory: /Users/griscom/PDAServer/Manager.java
    > > > [etc.]
    > >
    > > See, right there, that looks wrong. It should be showing paths similar
    > > to ../../filename or something like that.
    >
    > Nope: all the paths I see are absolute. But that gives me another test to
    > see when things are going OK.
    I'm tellin' ya... CVS. :-)
    Paul Mitchum Guest

  11. #11

    I finally gave up and used one of my Apple Developer Support incidents
    on this problem. Matt Drance of Java DTS responded in six hours with the
    solution. Basically, I had source indexing turned on, which breaks when
    the project is moved. Turning indexing off fixed it.

    Here's his complete response:
    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Thanks for the sample project; that always helps. I was able to solve
    > this problem by rebuilding the project index on the project. To do
    > this:
    >
    > - Open the offending pbproj
    > - Select the Project icon in the "Grous & Files" section
    > - Hit Command-I for project info
    > - In the panel that appears, click the "Rebuild Index" button. You'll
    > get a prompt to also clean the project. Click "Clean"
    >
    > You should be able to build at this point. The problem itself is
    > related to the indexing feature in Project Builder and Java projects.
    > Inside this Project Info panel, there is also a checkbox for "Index
    > source code files", which you can uncheck if you wish to prevent both
    > the painfully slow indexing, as well as the computer-transfer missing
    > file problem. The downside is that you cannot debug your Java app in PB
    > without indexing. If you're not debugging with PB, then by all means
    > disable indexing. There is also a bug in the 02 tools where adding a
    > new file to the project reactivates indexing; I believe this is fixed
    > with XCode.
    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    Dan
    Daniel Griscom Guest