Professional Web Applications Themes

Project Seven SwapClass - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

Hello, I completed and understand the project seven tutorial, SwapClass: [url]http://projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/swapclassmenu/index.htm[/url] However, I'm trying to recreate the navigation menu for my own site and have a few questions. First, the only defining characteristics I can find in the code of their workpage.htm with regards to the ".open" and ".closed" classes are that they either "display block" in the open class, or "display none" in the closed class. Am I missing some aspect of defining these classes? Second, they have their navigation menu as an unordered list in an absolutely placed div. Will it make a difference if I try to ...

  1. #1

    Default Project Seven SwapClass

    Hello,

    I completed and understand the project seven tutorial, SwapClass:
    [url]http://projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/swapclassmenu/index.htm[/url]

    However, I'm trying to recreate the navigation menu for my own site and have a
    few questions. First, the only defining characteristics I can find in the code
    of their workpage.htm with regards to the ".open" and ".closed" classes are
    that they either "display block" in the open class, or "display none" in the
    closed class. Am I missing some aspect of defining these classes? Second, they
    have their navigation menu as an unordered list in an absolutely placed div.
    Will it make a difference if I try to create a working toggle menu like this
    with my menu options defined as an unordered list within a table? I finally
    have got my layout properly placed and would prefer not to work with layers and
    divs if possible...

    Thanks much for your input!

    keeptheoceanclean Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Project Seven SwapClass

    "keeptheoceanclean" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I completed and understand the project seven tutorial, SwapClass:
    > [url]http://projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/swapclassmenu/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > However, I'm trying to recreate the navigation menu for my own site and
    > have a
    > few questions. First, the only defining characteristics I can find in the
    > code
    > of their workpage.htm with regards to the ".open" and ".closed" classes
    > are
    > that they either "display block" in the open class, or "display none" in
    > the
    > closed class. Am I missing some aspect of defining these classes? Second,
    > they
    > have their navigation menu as an unordered list in an absolutely placed
    > div.
    > Will it make a difference if I try to create a working toggle menu like
    > this
    > with my menu options defined as an unordered list within a table? I
    > finally
    > have got my layout properly placed and would prefer not to work with
    > layers and
    > divs if possible...
    The open and closed classes are what the SwapClass script toggles between.
    No other properties are necessary for those classes. The menu is styled by
    using descendant selectors keyed off either the .open, .closed, or both
    classes, such as:

    1) .closed a, .open a
    2) .closed a:hover
    3) .open a:hover

    The menu can go inside any type of containing element, including a table
    cell.

    You might want to post on our newsgroups. If you are not familiar with
    newsgroups, they work similarly to email and are much, much faster than web
    forums. You can find instructions here on how to set up a news reader using
    Windows Mail, Outlook Express, Entourage, or Thunderbird:

    [url]http://projectseven.com/support/index.htm[/url]

    --
    Al Sparber - PVII
    [url]http://www.projectseven.com[/url]

    Al Sparber - PVII Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Al,

    Thanks much for your input. I will start posting to the newsgroup! The
    difficulty I was having with the toggling open and closed classes was as simple
    as redefining .open to .open ul in my .css file. I do have a question however
    if you or some other knowledgeable folk is online...I have created a working
    toggle navigation menu but in one of the drop down menus, would like to take it
    one step further. Is it possible to toggle a list within a list? I can't quite
    get it to work properly. The trigger link of the nested link closes the entire
    section rather than opening and closing its 4 elements. Please see code below.
    Many sincere thanks! Krista
    </li>
    <li class="open" id="surveys"><a href="#" class="sidebar"
    onclick="P7_swapClass(1,'surveys','open','closed', 'li')">SURVEYS</a>
    <ul class="nav">
    <li class="open" id="isldsch"><a href="#"
    onclick="P7_swapClass(1,'isldsch','open','closed', 'li')">Schedule</a>
    <ul class="nav">
    [/BULLET]
    </li>
    <li class="open" id="isldata"><a href="#"
    onclick="P7_swapClass(1,'isldata','open','closed', 'li')">Data</a>
    <ul class="nav">
    [/BULLET]
    </li>
    [/BULLET]
    </li>

    keeptheoceanclean Guest

  4. #4

    > Hi Al,
    >
    > Thanks much for your input. I will start posting to the newsgroup! The
    > difficulty I was having with the toggling open and closed classes was as
    > simple
    > as redefining .open to .open ul in my .css file. I do have a question
    > however
    > if you or some other knowledgeable folk is online...I have created a
    > working
    > toggle navigation menu but in one of the drop down menus, would like to
    > take it
    > one step further. Is it possible to toggle a list within a list? I can't
    > quite
    > get it to work properly.
    Hi Krista,

    I'm afraid SwapClass was not written to toggle nested lists.

  5. #5

    Okay...thank you for the input! I will go a different route...

    Aloha~K
    keeptheoceanclean Guest