Professional Web Applications Themes

ProjectBuider for Panther? - Mac Programming

Is there a version of ProjectBuilder (not XCode) for 10.3 users? I had no problems compiling projects under 10.2, but XCode with 10.3 is a non-stop headache. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default ProjectBuider for Panther?

    Is there a version of ProjectBuilder (not XCode) for 10.3 users? I had
    no problems compiling projects under 10.2, but XCode with 10.3 is a
    non-stop headache. Thanks.
    MacGuy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ProjectBuider for Panther?

    In article <271120032358126194%com>, MacGuy <com> wrote:

    No. XCode is the Apple IDE for Panther.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  3. #3

    In article <mit.edu>,
    Miro Jurisic <org> wrote:

    > No. XCode is the Apple IDE for Panther.[/ref]

    But if you install the 10.2 developer tools under Panther, they do work
    (with a bit of fixing to convince gdb to be happy). It's not supported
    and I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're really desperate, you can try
    it.

    Anyway, Xcode isn't so bad. Make sure you keep it in the dock so you can
    restart it quickly after it barfs, and memorize the keyboard shortcut
    for "Clean Build" so you can make your programs start building again.
    You shouldn't have to use either one more than once every twenty minutes
    or so. :P
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    In article <mit.edu>,
    Miro Jurisic <org> wrote:

    > No. XCode is the Apple IDE for Panther.[/ref]

    Er, what? I have Project Builder sitting right alongside Xcode in
    /Developer/Applications. I never use it, though. Perhaps the OP could
    give their specific issues with Xcode so the could be addressed, as I
    imagine PB is likely to be killed at some point in the next year.
    Doc Guest

  5. #5

    Doc O'Leary wrote:

    >>No. XCode is the Apple IDE for Panther.[/ref]
    >

    > Er, what? I have Project Builder sitting right alongside Xcode in
    > /Developer/Applications. I never use it, though. Perhaps the OP could
    > give their specific issues with Xcode so the could be addressed, as I
    > imagine PB is likely to be killed at some point in the next year.[/ref]

    I am not the OP but this was the major reason for me to spend two days
    on downgrading the machines back to Jaguar that PB didn't want to run
    under Panther. As for XCode, the wording "non-stop headache" seems to be
    appropriate.

    silverdr Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3fc74e32$inet.com.pl>, silverdr <remove.it.pl>
    wrote:

    > > Er, what? I have Project Builder sitting right alongside Xcode in
    > > /Developer/Applications. I never use it, though. Perhaps the OP could
    > > give their specific issues with Xcode so the could be addressed, as I
    > > imagine PB is likely to be killed at some point in the next year.[/ref]
    >
    > I am not the OP but this was the major reason for me to spend two days
    > on downgrading the machines back to Jaguar that PB didn't want to run
    > under Panther. As for XCode, the wording "non-stop headache" seems to be
    > appropriate.[/ref]

    The reason you have PB installed under Panther is that you did an upgrade
    install and PB wasn't removed. It's just sitting there, it doesn't work, and if
    you try to ask Apple questions about making it work, they'll laugh at you. PB is
    already dead.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  7. #7

    In article <mail-FEB083.09402928112003localhost>, Michael Ash
    <com> wrote:

    Maybe you could shed light on the problem I'm having with XCode.
    Whenever I try to build any application which links the
    Foundation.framework, I get this error:

    /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
    module_index field of table of contents entry 509 past the end of the
    module table

    This happens when I reinstall Panther, reinstall the developer tools
    CD, update XCode to 1.01 -- every time that error. Never had the
    problem building under 10.2. Any clue what might be the cause -- I'm at
    a dead-end. Thanks.

    Ed

    MacGuy Guest

  8. #8

    In article <281120032327113993%com>, MacGuy <com>
    wrote:

    I've seen your question before, and I can't offer much beyond the
    obvious. This error occurs even with a default template project that you
    haven't modified? You've done clean installs, not upgrades? Can you
    compile a program using cc -framework Foundation program.m?
    Michael Guest

  9. #9

    In article <mit.edu>,
    Miro Jurisic <org> wrote:

    I don't know if it works from an upgrade install, but it does work if
    you install the latest 10.2 developer tools on 10.3. I certainly won't
    dispute the 'laugh at you' comment, though.

    I found Xcode confusing at first, but I worked through it and now I
    think it's great. Except for its amazing quantity of bugs, which I won't
    comment on, apart from saying I hope they get fixed real soon.
    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    In article <mail-34F6F2.10420129112003localhost>, Michael Ash
    <com> wrote:

    This happens with the Example code from Apple and with simply creating
    a Cocoa application and attempting to build it -- the files unmodified
    from what XCode created. I think I know "cc" is the CLI compiler
    command, but what is "framework Foundation program.m?"

     [/ref]

    MacGuy Guest

  11. #11

    In article <291120031611595041%com>, MacGuy <com>
    wrote:
     [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    They are parameters that need to be passed to the compiler and
    program.m should be your file name. Michael is asking you to see if
    you can do a simple compile from the terminal so folks can see if that
    gives some clue as to what the problem is. Sounds like a damaged file
    to me and a clean install might be in order.

    Spence
    James Guest

  12. #12

    In article <291120031611595041%com>, MacGuy <com>
    wrote:

    No, it's all together. Write a basic program and save it to a text file.
    (Here I cleverly referred to this file as 'program.m'.) Then open
    Terminal, cd into the directory where you saved the file, and type the
    following literally: "cc -framework Foundation program.m". You're right
    that 'cc' is the compiler. '-framework Foundation' tells it that you
    want to link agaist the Foundation framework. And lastly you give it the
    name of a file to compile.
    Michael Guest

  13. #13

    In article <291120031620155451%net>, James Spencer
    <net> wrote:

    I just tried the command 'cc -framework Foundation main.m' with an
    XCode Cocoa Application project. It failed with the same error message
    as that from the XCode IDE and the xcodebuild command:

    ld: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation
    module_index field of table of contents entry 509 past the end of the
    module table

    I'm seriously considering a clean install (meaning format the hard
    disk) and reinstalling everything. If there is a damaged file, how do I
    prevent the corruption from occuring again? That is just one of the
    problems when you are stumbling around in the dark -- so many unknowns
    to stub your toe on again, and again.

    MacGuy Guest

  14. #14

    In article <mail-B0D982.23245529112003localhost>, Michael Ash
    <com> wrote:

    > No, it's all together. Write a basic program and save it to a text file.
    > (Here I cleverly referred to this file as 'program.m'.) Then open
    > Terminal, cd into the directory where you saved the file, and type the
    > following literally: "cc -framework Foundation program.m". You're right
    > that 'cc' is the compiler. '-framework Foundation' tells it that you
    > want to link agaist the Foundation framework. And lastly you give it the
    > name of a file to compile.[/ref]

    I wrote a very basic 'hello world' program and tried the cc -framework
    Foundation basic.m command and got the same error as that in XCode.
    MacGuy Guest

  15. #15

    In article <mit.edu>,
    Miro Jurisic <org> wrote:

    Well, superceded. Xcode is pretty much Project Builder 3, as far as I
    can tell.

    However, Project Builder does work for some people. It still runs fine
    on my machine, though I've been using Xcode almost exclusively since
    installing Panther.

    -- Chris

    --
    Chris Hanson <com>
    bDistributed.com, Inc.

  16. #16

    I went ahead and did a clean re-install: formatting my hard drive,
    reinstalling 10.3, installing the 10.3.1 system update, reinstalling
    XCode, reinstalling the XCode 1.01 patch. Tried to build a project --
    same error. I'm at a total loss and will be sitting on the programming
    sidelines as I've yanked out enough hair already.

    Ed

    <com> wrote:

    > No, it's all together. Write a basic program and save it to a text file.
    > (Here I cleverly referred to this file as 'program.m'.) Then open
    > Terminal, cd into the directory where you saved the file, and type the
    > following literally: "cc -framework Foundation program.m". You're right
    > that 'cc' is the compiler. '-framework Foundation' tells it that you
    > want to link agaist the Foundation framework. And lastly you give it the
    > name of a file to compile.[/ref]
    Ed Guest

  17. #17

    In article <291120032259181744%rr.com>,
    Ed Sutherland <rr.com> wrote:

    I seem to recall that some people got corrupt Panther CDs. I think this
    is normally detected during the install process, but maybe yours are
    corrupted in some weird special way that isn't caught. This is the only
    thing I can think of at the moment.
    Michael Guest

  18. #18

    Michael Ash wrote:

    > I don't know if it works from an upgrade install, but it does work if
    > you install the latest 10.2 developer tools on 10.3.[/ref]

    Seems that it requires some additional factors (like supporting
    moonphase or so ;-) - trashing /developer and installing 10.2 devtools
    on running Panther didn't help here.

    I found Xcode confusing at first (especially my well polished GUI
    templates went lost :-( ), but I worked through it and...

    .... then the bugs started biting so badly that I went back to Jag to
    actually be able to do some work without continuous strugle...

    That's the only comment worth giving ;-)

    silverdr Guest

  19. #19

    In article <3fc74e32$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    It took me a small amount of detective work to understand some
    features of Xcode. Until I'd done this I had problems with my
    existing applications (e.g. they'd run only on the computer
    they were compiled on).

    So you do have to read the stuff about ZeroConf. You do now
    have to make sure that you switch between development and
    distibution settings when you're ready to distribute your
    software. Little things like that. Once you've learned the
    new tricks, you'll get along just fine with Xcode.

    Simon Guest

  20. #20

    MacGuy wrote:

    I was a bit afraid to switch to Xcode, due to all the negative talk,
    but my transition to Xcode was without any problem!

    The biggest problem I had with PB was that doentation lookup was
    terribly slow, and that is way better now in Xcode.

    --
    rick

    rick Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast