Professional Web Applications Themes

Projectbuilder is naughty - Mac Programming

Hey... Yeah, I know you gonna tell me to switch to XCode, but I'm not ready for the switch yet and running 10.2... Anyway, Projectbuilder is being naughty to me, and flooding me with these messages: warning: could not use precompiled header '/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation-gcc3 ..p', because: warning: 'AvailabilityMacros.h' has different date than in precomp And it comes in zillion different versions, with different paths, and for each file it compiles. The program does compile, but it goes sloooooooow.... Does anyone know what's up with my Projectbuilder? And how I can make him happy again? Older projects does recompile smoothly without any ...

  1. #1

    Default Projectbuilder is naughty

    Hey...

    Yeah, I know you gonna tell me to switch to XCode, but I'm not ready for
    the switch yet and running 10.2...

    Anyway, Projectbuilder is being naughty to me, and flooding me with
    these messages:

    warning: could not use precompiled header
    '/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation-gcc3
    ..p', because:
    warning: 'AvailabilityMacros.h' has different date than in precomp

    And it comes in zillion different versions, with different paths, and
    for each file it compiles. The program does compile, but it goes
    sloooooooow....

    Does anyone know what's up with my Projectbuilder? And how I can make
    him happy again? Older projects does recompile smoothly without any
    problems... I have tried to see if there's any differences in the
    settings, but I can't see any.

    Per
    Per Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Projectbuilder is naughty

    com (Per Bull Holmen) wrote:

    Open the terminal and do following command

    sudo fixPrecomps -forc

    Florian
    Florian Guest

  3. #3

    Per Bull Holmen wrote:

    me neither. i bought 10.3, and installed it on its own partition, but
    found myself suffering from a severe case of metal-finder-phobia, and
    went back to 10.2.8. i much prefer the pinstripes.

    apple is changing things faster than i'm willing to go. every time i
    turn around they're trying to obsolete my knowledge of some piece of
    software, and replace it with something else that isn't better, just
    different. they like to rearrange and fiddle for its own sake. if only
    they'd redirect some of that effort to bug-fixing. like maybe fix the
    finder's lousy icon-caching, so you don't have to jump through millions
    of fire-ringed hoops to get your danged app to display its danged icons
    for a change. but no, they'd rather draw the forty-seventh set of new
    buttons for itunes. that smells like a lack of discipline to me.

    there's only one thing about project builder that really annoys the crap
    out of me, enough to where i might be willing to hold my nose and get
    unsanity's shapeshifter or something and try to make peace with 10.3:
    the fact that pb has no way to compile one specific source file, as far
    as i can tell. it only allows you to build the whole project. xcode
    users: does it allow you to compile one specific designated file,
    instead of the whole project? alternately, pb users: is there some
    command to build just one source file that i missed?
    Jhnny Guest

  4. #4

    In article <nashville.comcast.net>,
    Jhnny Fvrt (it means "halo, then resonate")
    <com> wrote:

    Yes - select the file in the project, control-click on it and wait
    for the contextual menu and then select 'compile' near the bottom.
    Not Guest

  5. #5

    Florian Zschocke <de> wrote:

    > Open the terminal and do following command:
    >
    > sudo fixPrecomps -force[/ref]

    Thanks! Worked!

    :)

    Per
    Per Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8hnny_F=E4v=F2r=EDt=EA_=28it_means_=22halo= 2C_then_resonate=22=29?= wrote:

    You probably know this already, but just in case you don't: if you
    collapse the toolbar on a Finder window, it goes back to looking like a
    normal window, and Finder will generally remember that setting for the
    folder where you changed it. I don't end up seeing metal in the Finder
    very often.
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    In article <nashville.comcast.net>,
    Jhnny Fvrt (it means "halo, then resonate") <com>
    wrote:

    They have, in fact, fixed a large number of bugs in each .01 release.
    And I don't recall ever having any particular trouble getting an app to
    have the correct icon.

    Sniff again. You're looking for distinct development teams to do each
    others' work. _That_ would be a lack of discipline in my book.

    Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
    they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his
    "standard output" to somewhere else, if he so chooses. - Jeremy Nixon
    Gregory Guest

  8. #8

    Michael Ash wrote:

    yeah, i've seen that. it helps a little.

    i was in an overly cranky mood when i wrote the original post. my
    artist sent me some new icons, i was trying to get my app to display
    them so i could make some screen shots and show her the results, but the
    finder stubbornly refused. i have only been able to get it to work
    once, many months ago, and that took several hours of fiddling and
    deleting caches and logging out and back in again and squinting at
    plists in other apps. this time i just gave up, defeated.

    so i decided i really have to get a handle on this 10.3 thing, and not
    get left behind, due to my overly luddite nature. my powerbook has 10.3
    on it, mostly because that's what was installed when i got it. i tried
    installing 10.2, but the powerbook just looked at me funny, flashed the
    question-mark-on-folder icon a few times, and spit out the cd. so much
    for that idea.

    i copied all my code over to my powerbook, and dang, i guess i spoke too
    soon. based on a preliminary couple of hours, maybe xcode really *is*
    better! the symbol browser is pretty cool, for instance. and damned if
    my app's icons didn't show up all by themselves, without any magic
    incantations. perhaps apple has done some tweaking on the icon cache
    problems lately.

    so, um. sorry to defame apple, everybody! despite all the warts, they
    still beat the pants off every other high-tech company in existence.
    especially in hardware. oh, if only their software was up to the
    standards set by their hardware. oops, i'm back-sliding. i'll shut up
    now.
    Jhnny Guest