Professional Web Applications Themes

Proper way to resize - Adobe Photoshop Elements

My image off the digital camera comes in at 26.667 x 35.556, resolution 72. Doent size 14.1 MB What is the best way and in what order to bring the file down to 800 x 700, res 72, doent size 250 kb? Thanks Merrill Mack...

  1. #1

    Default Proper way to resize

    My image off the digital camera comes in at 26.667 x 35.556, resolution 72. Doent size 14.1 MB
    What is the best way and in what order to bring the file down to 800 x 700, res 72, doent size 250 kb?

    Thanks

    Merrill Mack
    Merrill Mack Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Proper way to resize

    Quite easy: set the crop tool to 800x700 at 72 ppi. That's all.
    The doent size will depend on the format you choose.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  3. #3

    or 700 x 800
    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    Merrill,

    Be sure to save your original image as is to the format of your desire (usually PSD is best in Elements) before cropping and saving it at the lower crop size and 72ppi. That's OK for screen use, but if you ever wish to print the image, you'll want all of the original pixels to get a good print. And remember it's the total number of pixels (600x600) that's the image, not the 72ppi. The ppi value just sizes the pixels for printing, not viewing on a monitor.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  5. #5

    For my own learning process, I would like to (for the most part) restate the comments in this thread, as I understand them, and ask for needed correction of any of my mis-statements.

    Merrill's camera file comes into his computer at 1920 x 2560 pixels, 14.1 MB.
    That is based on use of 26.667 x 35.556 as the size in inches that the file would print at 72 dpi (or pixels per inch).

    Working on a copy of the file, by resampling downward, he can reduce the size to 600x800, or 700x933 pixels without cropping, or by cropping the long dimension, to his stated 700x800 pixels.

    I would estimate the file size to be reduced in proportion to the total number of pixels, to 1.38 MB for a 600x800 pixel file, before compressing to a JPG. Assuming a 1.38 MB uncompressed TIFF starting file, I believe he would need about a 60% Quality JPEG compression to achieve his 250 kB JPG file size objective.

    OldnSenile
    OldnSenile Guest

  6. #6

    OnS - it depends to a large extent on the image, i.e., images with large
    areas of a single color will compress to a smaller JPEG file than those with
    lots of discrete areas of differing colors. The Save for Web dialog is a
    great place to experiment with different image dimensions, compression
    qualities, etc.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    OldnSenile,

    You're neither!
    Nancy S Guest

  8. #8

    Chuck: Thanks. I'll try the "Save for Web", but have to load my new PE2 first. Seems I'm always slow to install a major application because of the potential hassle if things don't go quite right.

    Nancy: Thanks, but I think that beyond 70 can qualify as "old" (though I was surprised to find so many "young-sounding" seniors in this forum.) Senility is more difficult to define. I seem to have problems remembering names (people and things), and chores for my wife, although, as I think about it, that has probably been true for the last 30 or 40 years.

    OldnSenile
    OldnSenile Guest

  9. #9

    OnS -

    When I start my Octogenarian Section of this forum there will be a special membership exception for you 70's+, but only if you can clearly outline your senility qualifications.

    You say you can't remember chores for your wife; I, on the other hand can't remember the chores she has for me, which is far preferable.

    As for Elements, I can spend a month mastering a feature, then go back to it a week later and it seems completely new.

    Al
    Al Millstein Guest

  10. #10

    Ah, but isn't it fun meeting those new people every time we go out?! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  11. #11

    OnS and Al,

    I perceive from your posts that;

    your minds are active
    your sense of humor is evident and charming
    you can laugh at yourself

    glad you two are on the forum :)
    Nancy S Guest

  12. #12

    eww, see what I did...how I wish we could strangle those little emoticons....<sigh>
    Nancy S Guest

  13. #13

    Al Millstein: Thanks for the early invitation to your "Octogenarian Section". You make me feel so young! hmmm, YoungnSenile?

    Nancy S : Thanks for the kind thoughts. I would love to be able to live up to your impressions of us.

    Bert Bigelow: Thanks for the kind words, but "catching up rapidly" to my age, scares me a bit. The only way for that to happen, is for me to stop getting older, and we know what that means. (As my mom used to say, "Getting old is better than the alternative.") (Just kidding, of course. I know you meant "catching up" to my current age.)

    OldnSenile
    OldnSenile Guest

  14. #14

    OnS,
    It's an old joke. I used to tell my kids that they were a lot younger than me, but they were "catching up." What I meant was that soon we would all be adults. Now that they're both over 40, they have reached the adult stage, but some people aren't to sure about me!
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  15. #15

    Rats. I want to edit the "to" in that last sentence, and I can't. GRRRRRR!
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  16. #16

    Bert, I'm with you - I want my 30 minutes of free editing back....

    :-(

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest