Professional Web Applications Themes

Proper way to setup multi-user environment????? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Ok, I set it up that way. Now I have another problem. I needed to change a library item. So, I checked out the file from the remote. I made my change to the library item. DW asked if I want to update library items for pages containing them, etc. Although it found none. I read a post in the forum here, that you must check out all the files that use the library items. Is this true. Whats the best way to go about this? I mean, how do yu know what files those library items are in? Also, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Proper way to setup multi-user environment?????

    Ok, I set it up that way. Now I have another problem. I needed to change a library item. So, I checked out the file from the remote. I made my change to the library item. DW asked if I want to update library items for pages containing them, etc. Although it found none. I read a post in the forum here, that you must check out all the files that use the library items. Is this true.

    Whats the best way to go about this? I mean, how do yu know what files those library items are in? Also, when I use the synchronize command, to put all newer files to the remote. It freezes. Then if I hit the close window box. It does something I can barely makeout in a popup box. Then closes Dreamweaver.

    Do library items work with check in/out and synchronizing??? Would it be better to just make all the changes on a local machine and copy over the files in explorer by hand? That's the way we were doing it in the past and we're trying to find a solution to eliminate that process.

    Confusion is a fundamental state of being.

    atomseed webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    atom:

    This is really the achilles heel of the whole thing. To safely modify
    either a Library Item, or a Template, you should use something like the
    following protocol -

    1. Broadcast a message to all developers that you will need to make changes
    to a library/template on the site in one hour (adjust timeframe as needed),
    and that they should immediately save and checkin all working files.
    2. At the zero hour, synch yout site with the staging server by checking
    out EVERYTHING.
    3. Make the changes to the Library Item/Template file, and allow those
    changes to propagate.
    4. Check your files back in to the staging site.
    5. Broadcast an all clear message.

    You may want to consider moving from the use of Template/Library Items to
    server-side includes. This scenario would be much simpler when using SSI.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "atomseed" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I set it up that way. Now I have another problem. I needed to change a
    library item. So, I checked out the file from the remote. I made my change
    to the library item. DW asked if I want to update library items for pages
    containing them, etc. Although it found none. I read a post in the forum
    here, that you must check out all the files that use the library items. Is
    this true.

    > Whats the best way to go about this? I mean, how do yu know what files
    those library items are in? Also, when I use the synchronize command, to put
    all newer files to the remote. It freezes. Then if I hit the close window
    box. It does something I can barely makeout in a popup box. Then closes
    Dreamweaver.

    > Do library items work with check in/out and synchronizing??? Would it be
    better to just make all the changes on a local machine and copy over the
    files in explorer by hand? That's the way we were doing it in the past and
    we're trying to find a solution to eliminate that process.

    > Confusion is a fundamental state of being.

    Murray *TMM* Guest