Professional Web Applications Themes

Proper Windows 2003 Server setup with multiple DC's - Windows Server

Hello all I have setup a new Windows 2003 single DC which is by all I have read the GC as well. I wish to install a new DC for redundancy DNS, WINS. However I have questions 1. If I have DC1 how do I make it redundant? I mean should WINS, DHCP & DNS be on a second DC 2. And if yes to question 1, will users be able to log into the network still? Granted any shares on DC1 would be inaccessable if it went offline. But would users still be able to authenticate and get to ...

  1. #1

    Default Proper Windows 2003 Server setup with multiple DC's

    Hello all

    I have setup a new Windows 2003 single DC which is by all I have read the GC as well. I wish to install a new DC for redundancy DNS, WINS. However I have questions

    1. If I have DC1 how do I make it redundant? I mean should WINS, DHCP & DNS be on a second DC
    2. And if yes to question 1, will users be able to log into the network still? Granted any shares on DC1 would be inaccessable if it went offline. But would users still be able to authenticate and get to other shares on the network
    3. If no to question 1 then what is the best possible scenario for a small business who wishes to keep high uptime and have a redundant network
    4. I have read that the DC should not be the GC in a multiple domain envoronment. And what is the proper procedure

    Thanks for the hel

    Devin M Guest

  2. #2

    See my responses in-line.

    Devin M wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have setup a new Windows 2003 single DC which is by all I have read the GC as well. I wish to install a new DC for redundancy DNS, WINS. However I have questions.
    >
    > 1. If I have DC1 how do I make it redundant? I mean should WINS, DHCP & DNS be on a second DC?
    Yes, you can certainly place those services on the second DC for
    fault-tolerance. Ideally your DNS should be Active Directory Integrated
    on both servers. WINS servers simply have to be tion partners to
    one another. DHCP is trickier since you don't want them handing out
    duplicate IPs. Assuming the servers are on the same subnet and only
    handing out IPs for that one subnet, try putting half of the DHCP scope
    on one server, half on the other (e.g. x.x.x.50-100 on DC1, x.x.x.101-50
    on DC2).
    > 2. And if yes to question 1, will users be able to log into the network still? Granted any shares on DC1 would be inaccessable if it went offline. But would users still be able to authenticate and get to other shares on the network?
    You bet. That's the whole idea, right?
    > 3. If no to question 1 then what is the best possible scenario for a small business who wishes to keep high uptime and have a redundant network.
    > 4. I have read that the DC should not be the GC in a multiple domain envoronment. And what is the proper procedure.
    A Global Catalog server MUST be a Domain Controller, no choice. Every GC
    is a DC, though not every DC is a GC. What you may have read is the
    recommendation that the GC should not be the Infrastructure Master (one
    of the FSMO roles) in a multiple domain environment, and this is true.
    Don't worry about it unless you have more than one domain; if you do,
    just move either the GC or Infrastructure Master role to the new DC.

    One other thought: have you or will you be implementing Exchange Server?
    If so, it's a good idea to have two GCs for fault tolerance, because
    Exchange relies on them heavily. If you only have one domain and two
    DCs, enable the GC role on the second DC (it's disabled on all but the
    first DC by default).

    > Thanks for the help

    Ron Stewart (MCSE: Messaging) Guest