Professional Web Applications Themes

Protecting swf files from being decompiled - Macromedia Flex General Discussion

At the end of the day, our flex apps are deployed as swf files which have the potential to be decomplied and thereby our intellectual properties lost. There are tools in the market which claim to secure the swf files from being decompiled. Are these tools live up to their claims? Is it worthwhile to spend money on these tools? Would the protected swf become harder to deployed? Any good products already available in this line? Please point out some. Thx....

  1. #1

    Default Protecting swf files from being decompiled

    At the end of the day, our flex apps are deployed as swf files which have the
    potential to be decomplied and thereby our intellectual properties lost. There
    are tools in the market which claim to secure the swf files from being
    decompiled. Are these tools live up to their claims? Is it worthwhile to spend
    money on these tools? Would the protected swf become harder to deployed? Any
    good products already available in this line? Please point out some. Thx.

    Isaac Fung Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Protecting swf files from being decompiled

    Most of the tools I have seen are geared towards extracting resources from
    swf's. I use one myself (eltima.com) for "harvesting" manufacturers content
    for my motorcycle dealers. They are authorized to use this content, but
    finding someone at Yamaha of Kawasaki or any of the majors who even knows where
    to find these resources is next to impossible. I have also used it to learn
    from by viewing scripts, but as you say, at the end of the day, I think the
    concepts and best practices are about the only thing worth taking away from
    others efforts, not the code.

    Unlocking a protected file can be done as well and I remember using a product
    over a year ago to get at the scripts within an swf (I wanted the URL's that
    pointed to media - it was legal for me to do this). It ran from the command
    line and output the scripts. There aren't too many of these types of programs
    to be found, but they exist.

    My personal opinion is that it's not worth the effort. My java classes can be
    decompiled and if someone wants to go to that trouble, more power to them. To
    my knowledge, there isn't anything out there yet that is perfect for backwards
    engineering an swf into an MXML file, but a competitor of FLASH Decompiler says
    that they can decompile Adobe 9 PLAYER swf's. For what it's worth, I plan on
    posting the majority of my code on my flexdev.org site once I get it
    established.

    For people who make components for sale, this could be an issue of stolen
    revenue if the decompilers get sophisticated enough to reverse engineer the swc
    into a usable MXML file. I would be against anyone who stole code for this
    purpose, for sure.

    cxf02 Guest