Professional Web Applications Themes

Provider error '80004005' Unspecified error - ARRRGGGHHH!!!!! - ASP

I have searched usenet & dev sites to no avail although many have had similar problems, reckon its an issue with DSN but not sure.. error occurs intermittently (but more often than not) heres the biz: ASP querying SQL Server 7.0 via IE5.5 Provider error '80004005' Unspecified error when launching asp: Set connInc= server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") connInc.Open "DSN=db_nsso;User ID=userid;Password=passwd" rsInc.Open strSQL, connInc where strSQL is a working SQL string based upon variables sourced from dropdown lists in a previous asp page. The SQL string works fine directly on the SQLServer Query yzer. I know there are issues if User ID & password ...

  1. #1

    Default Provider error '80004005' Unspecified error - ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

    I have searched usenet & dev sites to no avail although many have had
    similar problems, reckon its an issue with DSN but not sure.. error
    occurs intermittently (but more often than not) heres the biz:

    ASP querying SQL Server 7.0 via IE5.5

    Provider error '80004005'

    Unspecified error

    when launching asp:

    Set connInc= server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    connInc.Open "DSN=db_nsso;User ID=userid;Password=passwd"
    rsInc.Open strSQL, connInc

    where strSQL is a working SQL string based upon variables sourced from
    dropdown lists in a previous asp page. The SQL string works fine
    directly on the SQLServer Query yzer.
    I know there are issues if User ID & password are not mentioned but as
    you can see they are, the strSQL is a rather complex one, summarising
    data from several tables using variables .The error only
    intermittently occurs when selecting a specific set of variables. I
    have trawled the data for incongruencies, null values, values that
    could be named variables etc to no avail
    Is it an issue with the DSN>? if so what should i use instead?

    Its a good job I'm bald cause I wouldnt have any hair left by now so
    any help muchas gracias.
    chowda Guest

  2. #2

    What happens when you switch from the DSN to using an ordinary OLEDB
    connection string? [url]www.connectionstrings.com[/url]

    Ray at work

    "chowda" <paulkeillersinclairyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:9c8c7287.0310210429.4ca43d08posting.google.c om...
    > I have searched usenet & dev sites to no avail although many have had
    > similar problems, reckon its an issue with DSN but not sure.. error
    > occurs intermittently (but more often than not) heres the biz:
    >
    > ASP querying SQL Server 7.0 via IE5.5
    >

    > Provider error '80004005'
    >
    > Unspecified error
    >
    > when launching asp:
    >
    > Set connInc= server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > connInc.Open "DSN=db_nsso;User ID=userid;Password=passwd"
    > rsInc.Open strSQL, connInc
    >

    > where strSQL is a working SQL string based upon variables sourced from
    > dropdown lists in a previous asp page. The SQL string works fine
    > directly on the SQLServer Query yzer.
    > I know there are issues if User ID & password are not mentioned but as
    > you can see they are, the strSQL is a rather complex one, summarising
    > data from several tables using variables .The error only
    > intermittently occurs when selecting a specific set of variables. I
    > have trawled the data for incongruencies, null values, values that
    > could be named variables etc to no avail
    > Is it an issue with the DSN>? if so what should i use instead?
    >
    > Its a good job I'm bald cause I wouldnt have any hair left by now so
    > any help muchas gracias.

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Don't use a DSN. See [url]www.aspfaq.com/2126[/url]

    "chowda" <paulkeillersinclairyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:9c8c7287.0310210429.4ca43d08posting.google.c om...
    > I have searched usenet & dev sites to no avail although many have had
    > similar problems, reckon its an issue with DSN but not sure.. error
    > occurs intermittently (but more often than not) heres the biz:
    >
    > ASP querying SQL Server 7.0 via IE5.5
    >

    > Provider error '80004005'
    >
    > Unspecified error
    >
    > when launching asp:
    >
    > Set connInc= server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > connInc.Open "DSN=db_nsso;User ID=userid;Password=passwd"
    > rsInc.Open strSQL, connInc
    >

    > where strSQL is a working SQL string based upon variables sourced from
    > dropdown lists in a previous asp page. The SQL string works fine
    > directly on the SQLServer Query yzer.
    > I know there are issues if User ID & password are not mentioned but as
    > you can see they are, the strSQL is a rather complex one, summarising
    > data from several tables using variables .The error only
    > intermittently occurs when selecting a specific set of variables. I
    > have trawled the data for incongruencies, null values, values that
    > could be named variables etc to no avail
    > Is it an issue with the DSN>? if so what should i use instead?
    >
    > Its a good job I'm bald cause I wouldnt have any hair left by now so
    > any help muchas gracias.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  4. #4

    chowda wrote:
    > I have searched usenet & dev sites to no avail although many have had
    > similar problems, reckon its an issue with DSN but not sure.. error
    > occurs intermittently (but more often than not) heres the biz:
    >
    > ASP querying SQL Server 7.0 via IE5.5
    >

    > Provider error '80004005'
    >
    > Unspecified error

    I suspect you may have a reserved word problem. Check here
    ([url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2080[/url]) for a list of reserved words and
    see if you have used any of them for column names. If you have, your first
    choice should be to change the column names that are reserved words. If you
    cannot change them, then you must surround them with brackets [] when using
    them in dynamic sql called via ADO.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for your posts folks,

    Unfortunately I can only use the named DSN cause I'm sat on a large
    internal network and must adhere to their specific conformance rules.
    I have renamed a reserved word that i did find but still get the
    error.thanks for that link.
    I'm at a dead end with this one I think.....................

    many thanks again
    chowda Guest