Professional Web Applications Themes

psd disk error on save - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

Hi - I just found this group. I am having similar problems. I try to save in the midst of everything seeming to be working fine (previous saves in the session) and get the 'can't save due to disk error' message. I tried saving many different ways (though not a .tiff and I don't understand what you mean by saving to a different drive), but always the same message. Yesterday I decided to quit and lose my lastest revisions - Instead I lost the entire file. POOF! The old version is gone totally. I ran 'repair disk permissions' and restarted ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: psd disk error on save

    Hi - I just found this group. I am having similar problems. I try to save in the midst of everything seeming to be working fine (previous saves in the session) and get the 'can't save due to disk error' message. I tried saving many different ways (though not a .tiff and I don't understand what you mean by saving to a different drive), but always the same message. Yesterday I decided to quit and lose my lastest revisions - Instead I lost the entire file. POOF! The old version is gone totally.

    I ran 'repair disk permissions' and restarted PS to try a test doent. A few seconds in it unexpectedly quit after something funky happening to the text I was typing.

    I do not have Norton installed - I was advised it would cause lots of problems on my machine. I am on a new eMac (January 2004), 10.3.3 and PS7.

    I previously had problems with my Appleworks program - which turned out to be caused by a corrupt Font - something I never would have figured out without the help of that forum. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
    Amy_Reges@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi again. I just remembered another bit of info. I had installed Norton anti-virus on my eMac. When I tried to start it it opened PhotoShop instead and said it could not open the file. I tried it twice with the same result before uninstalling Norton and getting the warning not to use it on my computer. Could that have caused my problems? Thanks.
    Amy_Reges@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    NAV is the scourge of Macs.

    Virex is the best way to go.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You probably need neither -- there are less Mac users than Windows ones so evil minds find it less amusing to put the effort into creating viruses for them.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks. The person who told me not to use Norton also told me I don't need any.

    But what about this disk error problem??
    Amy_Reges@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Amy:

    As the problem showed up for you when you were working with type, you may well have a corrupt or conflicting font.

    But all of the comments, made earlier in this thread, that refer to Hard Drives are applicable.
    Run Disk Warrior for a start and consider buying a second internal HD to use for Photoshop's scratch disk.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Had "disk error" on a .psd; quit and restarted PS CS. Worked.

    Its just a software fatigue problem. Restart and fagetaboutit.

    Ed
    Ed_Gerson@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    Thank you for all the feedback. I don't have disk warrior - looks like I better get it.

    Has anyone else with this problem ever totally lost a file like I did? I have never had this happen on any computer in any program before. I didn't just lose recent revisions, I lost every trace of the file ever existing. It had been created, saved and closed in previous sessions. It had been saved at least once befoe I encountered the disk error in that session. When I could not save due to disk error I quit, thinking I would only loose recent revisions. I lost everything.

    Yes, I had no backup - I learned my lesson. But it concerns me that this may not be a simple problem or software fatigue.
    Amy_Reges@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Run DiskWarrior before you do another thing -- you may find that your Directory was scrambled and that your file will reappear after running DiskWarrior.

    Norton Utilities also includes a file recovery module which might help if you haven't over-written the file in the meantime.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Has anyone else with this problem ever totally lost a file like I did?

    I lost 30 gig once on a newly replaced HD drive that was under warrenty. so just because its new does not mean its perfect.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    My 'computer-adviser' just gave me the same advice as you did, Ann. I will run a disk repair asap. He also suggested I reinstall PS in case my short episode with trying to open Norton and having it fire up PS instead (before I uninstalled Norton) could have effected PS somehow. Also, I had been letting my computer sleep for days rather than restarting, which I will stop doing. And I will try saving as a tiff next time the problem arises. - Just writing this in case it might be helpful to anyone else who comes along as all of your feedback has been helpful to me. Thanks everybody!
    Amy_Reges@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    For those that are experiencing this issue with PS CS, please let me know where the original file was opened from. Did you open the file from your primary drive (local drive with OS on it)? Did you open it from a secondary IDE drive? Was the file opened from an external drive? Or was it a new file that you created during your PS session?

    Any more information would be very helpful.

    thanks,
    -Adam
    Adam_Jerugim@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I am using PS 7.0. I have had it happen several times. Files were always opened from my primary drive. I do not remember if some of them were new files created during that PS session or if all had been created on prior PS sessions or in other programs.
    Amy_Reges@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I have the same problem after a waking from sleep on a G5- all other applications don't have a problem saving to the same local directory except for photoshop cs. Saving to TIFF causes the same problem. Most of the time I can save to an external firewire dirve- then copy the file in the finder to the local directory I was intending to save in.
    Moises_Esquenazi@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I continue to have this problem every once in a while. It occurs when saving from the main hard drive. I can usually save it to an external drive, but one time that wouldn't work either.

    I've run disk warrior and the drive checks out OK. It appears from the postings here that this is a software issue, not a problem with the hard drive. Is Adobe listening?

    G-5. os10.3.3, PS CS.
    will_connor@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    No, from the postings here we know that it is not an application software problem.

    It is a hardware, system extension, or possibly OS problem.
    You need to clean out your system and look for the cause.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    check your ram. I have several g4 machines, and tried to swich ram on some of the machines.
    And the result is: The most effected machine, which corrupted my .psd files i working fine now. I will let it run for a couble of days to see if the problem i fixed.

    When you check your ram, be absolutly sure your ram is exacly the same type. i have 2 visuel identical ram from the same manifacture with same labels and all, but if you really look in to it, itīs not the same. I found to absolutly identical ram, and installed in the machine above, and i thinkk it fixed the problem

    it this works, i think the conclution is a hardware and a software failure
    ulrik Guest

  19. #19

    Chris,

    Could you explain how you know it's not software related? The main constant with those having this problem is that it only occurs when trying to save a PS file. If it's not related to PS why wouldn't it occur in other programs? Could it be that PS is more demanding on the system resources and so triggers the problem but is not the source of the problem?

    Thanks
    will_connor@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    << Could it be that PS is more demanding on the system resources and so triggers the problem but is not the source of the problem? >>

    Yes!

    [Edit: Sorry -- I just realised that you were asking Chris that question. However, I suspect that he will give you the same answer!]
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast