Professional Web Applications Themes

Publisher 2002 - Web Design

How is a meta tag pasted into the web options keywords? Thank you Bill Kay...

  1. #1

    Default Publisher 2002

    How is a meta tag pasted into the web options keywords? Thank you Bill Kay

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    I've built a website with Publisher 2002 and some of the visitors are
    telling me some of the text runs over the top of other text on the page.
    There also seems to be no way to avoid the gap of space at the end of a text
    box to the next item on the page. When I view the page in Publisher the page
    looks tight, when published to the internet it doesn't look the same. I've
    changed the height issue on most pages by removing the height tag.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Here are a few of the pages in question:
    [url]http://karmamusic.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.karmawebdesign.com/AWM/links/links.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.karmamusic.com/concerts/concerts.html[/url]
    MDG

    MrKarma Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Publisher 2002

    I viewed [url]http://www.karmamusic.com/index.html[/url] and didn't see any issues. I'm
    using IE 6.1.
    As far as your first complaint, those would be Netscape users. I doent on
    my site that NS will have issues with 2002 pub pages due to the use of
    positioning, absolute and relative.
    As far as the second issue, I didn't see anything. But keep in mind that
    cells are relative to other cells, the shortest cell in a row will expand to
    the longest cell in the row. You can visit the web design section of my site
    for some html tutorials.
    A web page and a print page will not look the same. Two different mediums.
    Microsoft's support site does state this. But it should be obvious.
    My site does have helpful tips and articles though to assist in improving
    pages.
    I myself have not yet seen a Publisher built site with the level of
    complexity as this one. The menus and tabs are definitely impressive. I'm
    assuming that vstore helped out with that. It's been a long time since I
    reviewed vstore, looks like they've beefed up their integration offerings.
    Good job.

    --
    David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP
    Visit [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]

    "MrKarma" <someoneinsightbb.com> wrote in message
    > I've built a website with Publisher 2002 and some of the visitors are
    > telling me some of the text runs over the top of other text on the page.
    > There also seems to be no way to avoid the gap of space at the end of a
    text
    > box to the next item on the page. When I view the page in Publisher the
    page
    > looks tight, when published to the internet it doesn't look the same. I've
    > changed the height issue on most pages by removing the height tag.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    > Here are a few of the pages in question:
    > [url]http://karmamusic.com/[/url]
    > [url]http://www.karmawebdesign.com/AWM/links/links.html[/url]
    > [url]http://www.karmamusic.com/concerts/concerts.html[/url]
    > MDG

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  4. #4

    David,
    Thank you your comments and praise. I have had a bookmark to your site for
    quite some time and it has been very useful and is well laid out for ease of
    use.. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed and educated. I'll
    look at the cell alignment on the pages. The menus and tabs were all done in
    Xara Webstyle, a very easy to use program for everything from buttons to
    banner ads. V-Store is getting better, but they don't help with your site
    layout just there own. I enjoy using Publisher for web design although I
    know other programs might make some of my tasks a little easier once past
    the learning curve. I hope what I have created in Publisher will inspire
    others to release that you can do a lot with this program.
    Again thank you for all you do and continue to do.
    MDG

    "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <dbartosikmvps.org> wrote in message
    > I viewed [url]http://www.karmamusic.com/index.html[/url] and didn't see any issues.
    I'm
    > using IE 6.1.
    > As far as your first complaint, those would be Netscape users. I doent
    on
    > my site that NS will have issues with 2002 pub pages due to the use of
    > positioning, absolute and relative.
    > As far as the second issue, I didn't see anything. But keep in mind that
    > cells are relative to other cells, the shortest cell in a row will expand
    > the longest cell in the row. You can visit the web design section of my
    site
    > for some html tutorials.
    > A web page and a print page will not look the same. Two different mediums.
    > Microsoft's support site does state this. But it should be obvious.
    > My site does have helpful tips and articles though to assist in improving
    > pages.
    > I myself have not yet seen a Publisher built site with the level of
    > complexity as this one. The menus and tabs are definitely impressive. I'm
    > assuming that vstore helped out with that. It's been a long time since I
    > reviewed vstore, looks like they've beefed up their integration offerings.
    > Good job.
    >
    > --
    > David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP
    > Visit [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > for Publisher and Web Design
    > Tips and How-to's.
    >
    > "MrKarma" <someoneinsightbb.com> wrote in message
    > > I've built a website with Publisher 2002 and some of the visitors are
    > > telling me some of the text runs over the top of other text on the page.
    > > There also seems to be no way to avoid the gap of space at the end of a
    > text
    > > box to the next item on the page. When I view the page in Publisher the
    > page
    > > looks tight, when published to the internet it doesn't look the same.
    I've
    > > changed the height issue on most pages by removing the height tag.
    > > Any help would be much appreciated.
    > > Here are a few of the pages in question:
    > > [url]http://karmamusic.com/[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.karmawebdesign.com/AWM/links/links.html[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.karmamusic.com/concerts/concerts.html[/url]
    > > MDG

    MrKarma Guest

  5. #5

    Hi MrKarma (someoneinsightbb.com),
    in the Microsoft® newsgroups
    you posted:

    || David,
    || Thank you your comments and praise. I have had a bookmark to your
    || site for quite some time and it has been very useful and is well
    || laid out for ease of use.. Thank you for taking the time to keep us
    || informed and educated. I'll look at the cell alignment on the pages.
    || The menus and tabs were all done in Xara Webstyle, a very easy to
    || use program for everything from buttons to banner ads. V-Store is
    || getting better, but they don't help with your site layout just there
    || own. I enjoy using Publisher for web design although I know other
    || programs might make some of my tasks a little easier once past the
    || learning curve. I hope what I have created in Publisher will inspire
    || others to release that you can do a lot with this program.
    || Again thank you for all you do and continue to do.
    || MDG

    FWIW, those pages look great for me, and I am using IE 6

    --
    Brian Kvalheim
    Microsoft Office Publisher MVP

    confers no rights.

    Brian Kvalheim - [MS MVP] Guest

  6. #6

    MrKarma...MDG,

    This is slightly off subject, so please excuse me, but your use of Xara
    Webstyle inspired me to create better menus for my site, created with
    Publisher 2000.

    I am currently trying to use XARA MenuMaker and have successfully inserted
    the script into my Pub doc using the insert HTML fragment feature. And when
    I open the web page, the new navigation bar is there and functional...so far
    so good.

    However, I am finding that though there appears to be plenty of room for the
    new navigation bar on my Pub doc, that after creating the web page and
    viewing it, the elements to the right of the vertical navigation bar are
    displaced by perhaps a 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the right. Have you experienced
    anything like this, and do you have a suggestion of how to resolve it? It
    sounds like a similar problem to yours. I have tried making the new buttons
    smaller and inserting and moving the fragment box to different places on my
    page, but where ever it is placed the elements to the right, and sometimes
    above, are displaced. They are not touching, or even close to the navbar. I
    would appreciate any advice you could offer, as I too prefer to stay with
    Publisher for my site for a variety of reasons, but would like to use XARA
    to improve the Nav bars, etc.

    And by the way, I used to go to your original store in Indy, and the
    frequented the Bloomington store a lot when I lived there. The retail was
    great, and I am not surprised the web presence is just as good.

    Thanks. DavidF

    > David,
    > Thank you your comments and praise. I have had a bookmark to your site for
    > quite some time and it has been very useful and is well laid out for ease
    of
    > use.. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed and educated. I'll
    > look at the cell alignment on the pages. The menus and tabs were all done
    in
    > Xara Webstyle, a very easy to use program for everything from buttons to
    > banner ads. V-Store is getting better, but they don't help with your site
    > layout just there own. I enjoy using Publisher for web design although I
    > know other programs might make some of my tasks a little easier once past
    > the learning curve. I hope what I have created in Publisher will inspire
    > others to release that you can do a lot with this program.
    > Again thank you for all you do and continue to do.
    > MDG

    DavidF Guest

  7. #7

    DavidF
    Do you have any other Java elements on your page? Sometimes they will
    conflict with each other.
    Try sending your elements to the right and above to the back and see if that
    helps. It seems Publisher 2000 uses layers and I have found that sending
    some items to the back or send backwards helps.
    It's always good to here from a Karma person, are you still in the Indy
    area?
    I'm glad to here that our site inspired you. Xara has some great products
    that have made my life a lot easier.
    Send me your URL after you finish, I'd like to see what you came up with.
    Hope this helps.
    [email]webmasterkarmamusic.com[/email]

    MrKarma Guest

  8. #8

    Pub 2000 uses CSS2 (positioning/layers) in it's high target browser setting.
    It uses traditional HTML when in it's low target browser setting.

    --

> [...]
    > > of
    > > > use.. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed and educated.
    > I'll
    > > > look at the cell alignment on the pages. The menus and tabs were all
    > done
    > > in
    > > > Xara Webstyle, a very easy to use program for everything from buttons
    > > > banner ads. V-Store is getting better, but they don't help with your
    > site
    > > > layout just there own. I enjoy using Publisher for web design although
    > > > know other programs might make some of my tasks a little easier once
    > past
    > > > the learning curve. I hope what I have created in Publisher will
    inspire
    > > > others to release that you can do a lot with this program.
    > > > Again thank you for all you do and continue to do.

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  9. #9

    Hi David,

    I designed my site in the low target browser setting. Do you think this
    might have something to do with my problem? I remember you discussing the
    advantages and disadvantages of the low and high options, but am afraid I
    can't remember the details (a senior moment I'm afraid). I looked around for
    the answers at your site, but couldn't find the information again. What is
    the downside of using the high target browser setting?

    DavidF

> [...]
    on
    > > my
    > > > page, but where ever it is placed the elements to the right, and
    > sometimes
    > > > above, are displaced. They are not touching, or even close to the
    > navbar.
    > > > would appreciate any advice you could offer, as I too prefer to stay
    > with
    > > > Publisher for my site for a variety of reasons, but would like to use
    > XARA
    > > > to improve the Nav bars, etc.
    > > >
    > > > And by the way, I used to go to your original store in Indy, and the
    > > > frequented the Bloomington store a lot when I lived there. The retail
    > was
    > > > great, and I am not surprised the web presence is just as good.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks. DavidF

    DavidF Guest

  10. #10

    MDG,

    Thanks for responding. Between your post and David's I at least have some
    options to explore. I use Publisher in so many areas of my work, I would
    like to stick with it for the web site. Xara seems to offer some solutions
    to some of the limitations I have found using Publisher and hope I can make
    it work.

    No, I moved to Oregon from Bloomington about 20 years ago...used to live
    about a block from the store. Its nice to know the store not only survived,
    but flourished.

    I will send you a link after I get it rebuilt, provided you don't compare it
    to your work. I spent some time looking at the other sites you built, and I
    only hope to approach your quality.

    DavidF

    DavidF Guest

  11. #11

    Can't say I'm familiar with this thread. What is your problem?
    The html code is going to give you a smaller html file size and the code is
    cleaner and more basic so it will get better results in more browsers.
    CSS2 was designed to give the web designer firm control over the layout of a
    page with positioning and layering.
    Just FYI, I am a professional software and web developer, and I have yet to
    ever meet or work with anyone that uses CSS2 in their coding. You can learn
    about it at [url]www.w3c.org[/url]

    --

> [...]
    > > > conflict with each other.
    > > > Try sending your elements to the right and above to the back and see
    if
    > > that
    > > > helps. It seems Publisher 2000 uses layers and I have found that
    sending
    > > > some items to the back or send backwards helps.
    > > > It's always good to here from a Karma person, are you still in the
    Indy
    > > > area?
    > > > I'm glad to here that our site inspired you. Xara has some great
    > products
    > > > that have made my life a lot easier.
    > > > Send me your URL after you finish, I'd like to see what you came up
    > with.
    > > > Hope this helps.
    > > > [email]webmasterkarmamusic.com[/email]

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  12. #12

    David,

    Don't worry about it. I am trying to use XARA MenuMaker with my Publisher
    2000 web page, as inspired by Mrkarma...a bit off topic. As it turned out my
    problem had to do with inserting the java script via Insert HTML fragment,
    and I think I figured out the solution. Indirectly you helped as I was
    experimenting with the textual navbar code from you site, and discovered
    that the dimension of the HTML fragment box made the difference. So thank
    you again for your site. Though I have read most of it many times, I don't
    always Grok the contents, and just keep going back and learning more and
    more. DavidF

> [...]
    > > advantages and disadvantages of the low and high options, but am afraid
    > > can't remember the details (a senior moment I'm afraid). I looked around
    > for
    > > the answers at your site, but couldn't find the information again. What
    is
    > > the downside of using the high target browser setting?
    > >
    > > DavidF
    > >
    > > "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <dbartosikmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Pub 2000 uses CSS2 (positioning/layers) in it's high target browser
    > > setting.
    > > > It uses traditional HTML when in it's low target browser setting.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP
    > > > Visit [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > > > for Publisher and Web Design
    > > > Tips and How-to's.

    DavidF Guest

  13. #13

    MDG,

    Thanks for your help. I think I figured out a solution, or at least a
    workaround in this particular case. By experimenting with the dimension of
    the HTML fragment box/frame and forcing some of the script to wrap to a
    second line, the resulting code resulted in a web page with all the elements
    positioned as intended. Not sure why for, but then I am not sure why a lot
    of things work or don't work. Now I get to spend some time redesigning my
    site using MenuMaker...that will be fun. Thanks again. DavidF

    DavidF Guest

  14. #14

    I have read every forum/ faq column I could find regarding this issue but
    have found nothing to resolve the issue of missing graphics. I have uploaded
    ALL files to my website and the pictures do NOT show up. I'm about to toss
    this version of Publisher out the door. ANY help would be greatly
    appreciated. If this doesn't get resolved can someone help me go back to
    Publisher 2000 where things worked properly???? Thank you for your time.
    hdgirl Guest

  15. #15

    Are you publishing with Publisher or a 3rd party tool?
    Are you at Pub 2002 Service Pack 3 level?
    Would need the site URL to review this any further.

    David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP]
    www.publishermvps.com
    www.davidbartosik.com

    "hdgirl" <microsoft.com> wrote in message

    David Guest