Professional Web Applications Themes

Publisher to InDesign CS2 - Adobe Indesign Windows

RTF is going to get you type, formatting, and styles (if there are any). I think you could get that from copy/paste. I've had success placing Word files in ID in the past. If you have Acrobat 7 pro, you might want to try saving that PDF as a Word doc before putting it in ID. It's worth a shot I guess. Since RTF seems like such a great idea, I don't see how this could be so bad....

  1. #21

    Default Re: Publisher to InDesign CS2

    RTF is going to get you type, formatting, and styles (if there are any).

    I think you could get that from copy/paste.

    I've had success placing Word files in ID in the past. If you have Acrobat 7 pro, you might want to try saving that PDF as a Word doc before putting it in ID. It's worth a shot I guess. Since RTF seems like such a great idea, I don't see how this could be so bad.
    George Guest

  2. #22

    Publisher -> RTF -> Indesign

    or

    Publisher -> PDF -> Word -> Indesign

    Either one should work. PDF involves one extra step. My experiences saving
    any kind of text out of PDF have been less than satisfactory, but maybe the
    newer versions are better. I'm still on Acrobat 5. If there were styles used
    in the Publisher doent, I doubt they're going to survive being washed
    through PDF.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    With 7 it's much improved. 5 and 6 are awful.
    George Guest

  4. #24

    I don't have Publisher, but was given a publisher file. I have the Adobe CS Premium suite. Is there a tool I cn use to import the publisher file? I installed the "PageMaker Add-on" tools but didn't see a way to do it...

    I did see that I could download PageMaker for the 30-day trial, but if/when I need to deal with a publisher file again I would like a way to deal with it (other than buying more software of course).
    Trevor_Tolk@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Did they really ad spot support to Publisher? Do you know what version? We have 2002 and it's not there. We were probably needing to upgrade anyway.

    (By the way, we don't build anything in it, we just receive the files and then pdf them.)

    ~Nick
    nick@marketingdurango.com Guest

  6. #26

    What are you supposed to be doing with that file?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #27

    Honestly I don't know what they wanted done with the file <blush>. I'm the IT guy - the graphics guys are the ones that were going to deal with it. They asked me to get involved with the file conversion.

    I believe they wanted to make some changes to the graphics and the text.
    Trevor_Tolk@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Well, you already know the only route from Publisher to ID. Note that
    the converter for PM is only for Pub 2000 and earlier. It won't work
    with Publisher versions later than that even if they've been saved back
    to 2000.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #29

    I thought I read that Pagemaker 7.01 could do 2002...let me check...

    "Microsoft Publisher 2002 files saved in Microsoft Publisher 2000 format are now converted properly using the Converter for Microsoft Publisher/QuarkXPress"

    There it is - from the 7.01 fixes list. It doesn't do 2002, it just will do 2002 files saved in 2000 format.

    Thanks Bob.
    Trevor_Tolk@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    The link to that kb artible...

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1378>
    Trevor_Tolk@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    How much effort is wasted researching these conversion options when one can more cheaply purchase Microsoft Publisher and create a press-ready PDF file?

    If you are too cheap to purchase Publisher, educate your client <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308031> that they need to read the manual/help files so that they can supply you with a PostScript or PDF file. (*note that the link above requires Internet Explorer to view. Microsoft.com does not like FireFox)

    If you are a print service provider, you can obtain a free copy of Publisher <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010772371033.aspx> for printing your clients' publications.

    Converting doents is a good way to add more trouble to your day. Keep a QuarkXPress 6.5 doent in QuarkXPress 6.5; keep an InDesign file in InDesign; and keep Publisher files in Publisher. Spit out PDF for printing or placing in other apps and leave enough time in your day to enjoy life.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #32

    Nice pickup. I don't use PM at all anymore and didn't know that.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  13. #33

    purchase Microsoft Publisher and create a press-ready PDF file?

    LOL!
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #34

    If it's set up properly (yeah, I know...here you can have your laugh)
    it's a whole lot better than trying a double conversion.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  15. #35

    Have yet to receive a Pub file that was set up properly.

    Prefer to start over in ID (before ID, Quark).

    We find creative ways to charge the client without labeling it pre-press.
    Skyline@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #36

    If you are a print shop or service bureau, you can apply to become a Publisher Service Provider. The program is free and you get a single user copy of the latest version of Publisher. We have been a member since 2000 when they first started the program.

    If your client has Publisher 2003, they can do a "Save as" and choose postscript file. If they give you the ps file you can run it through distiller and create a pdf. With some of the plugins like Pitstop or Quite a Box of Tricks for Acrobat you can do MINOR edits to text. You can change color modes if needed. For other changes you would have to go back to Publisher.

    Publisher does do CMYK and Spot colors since 2000. They work best if you are printing directly from publisher. Creating pdfs from Publisher does not work well printing to Adobe pdf directly. My best experiences have been to save as ps and then distill and use plugins to change color mode if needed.

    Once you have a pdf you can "place" in InDesign. As long as you do not need to edit that is the easiest workflow for what you describe.

    Just my 2 cents worth

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida USA
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #37

    We find creative ways to charge the client without labeling it pre-press.

    Why would you want to hide the fact that you had to rework the file? The customer should be made aware of the failings of the program and/or the user.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #38

    Thanks so much for all your input. I'm rather impressed with this forum.
    Trevor_Tolk@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #39

    "We find creative ways to charge the client without labeling it pre-press."

    I'd appreciate any ideas you could pass on.

    ~Nick
    nick@marketingdurango.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12