Professional Web Applications Themes

Publisher to InDesign CS2 - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I have a (non tech) client who wants to supply me with files produced in MS Publisher 2000(I think). Is there any way to import this format into InDesign CS2 on Win2000?...

  1. #1

    Default Publisher to InDesign CS2

    Kevin_J_Bird@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Publisher to InDesign CS2

    You could convert them to PM files and then open those. If you don't
    have PM, you can download the 30 day demo.

    Warning: You will likely be better off recreating the files from scratch.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Warning: You will likely be better off recreating the files from scratch.

    Do you think this is why they didn't add that feature in IDCS2?
    George Guest

  4. #4

    See if you are lucky and they can "print" to PDF.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    PM - I assume is pagemaker. I've tried to import doc into PM 7, using various import/file conversions etc. Guess client will need to upgrade to some decent software.
    Kevin_J_Bird@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Did you try the publication converter?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Yes used PM pubication converter - no luck
    Kevin_J_Bird@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    <com> wrote in message

    I've never had any luck with Publisher files and Pagemaker.

    Sanbar Guest

  9. #9

    I think the Publisher import filter stops rather short of current versions -
    at least the PM6.5 does, I don't know about PM7 but I had assumed it was the
    same filter.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You can save to RTF and import that into ID.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    The PM 7 converter can go up to Pub2K files, PM 6.5 goes to Pub97.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  12. #12

    I print most Publisher files to disk, then distill and bring the pdf into InDesign. Never a problem provided the original file is CMYK or Grayscale. If not, I sometimes have to fix problems in the Commercial Printing Tools options.

    Bob
    rpilato@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    You can save to RTF and import that into ID

    Might as well start from scratch.

    provided the original file is CMYK

    Does Publisher really do that? I thought all MS products were limited to RGB or Grayscale. Don't use it, don't care to but wondering just in case someone trys to send me something and claims they have it in CMYK. In just about any case Publisher case, I'll send them away.
    George Guest

  14. #14

    Yes, Publisher has CMYK and spot support. I honestly think that the real
    problems with it are that the people using it don't have a clue how to
    prepare files for press.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  15. #15

    The latest version of Publisher supports CMYK, grayscale, and spot color output modes. Not very well, but enough to get a CMYK PDF file instead of all RGB.

    options.

    You sound like someone who needs Extensis PitStop. It adds really powerful editing capabilities to Acrobat. I use it extensively--it's become one of the most essential tools on my computer.
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I honestly think that the real problems with it are that the people using
    it don't have a clue how to prepare files for press.

    Yeah, every time I've tried getting one of these into PM or just printing it ends up taking too much time and the clients don't want to pay for that extra time so I'd rather tell them to take a hike. Not in so many words but...
    George Guest

  17. #17

    <com> wrote in message
    <snipped>

    And I use Quite A Box of Tricks (www.quite.com) for converting color space
    and a few other quick fixes. It's a less powerful, but also less expensive
    than PitStop.
    Peggy

    Peggy Guest

  18. #18

    PitStop is not from Extensis. It is from Enfocus.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  19. #19

    Yup--thanks, Dov! Two very different companies. I had Extensis on my mind when I wrote that. Here's the website for Enfocus: <http://www.enfocus.com/>. I have had tremendous success with their software. YMMV.
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    > You can save to RTF and import that into ID

    How much more "scratch" can you get? Retype everything? RTF is going to get
    you type, formatting, and styles (if there are any).

    The only other option I see for Kevin is to bring PDF into Indesign, which
    could be all he needs as long as he never needs to make an edit.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast