Professional Web Applications Themes

Pull Down Menus in frame Problem - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

First time trying pull down menus and having a problem. I'm building a site for a public school......... and want pull down menus to pull down under my top frame....... just a line with the links to pull down. I can't find a way so far. What I did was to create a frame underneath the top frame but it's not what I want as the frame my pull down menus reside in has to be large enough to accomodate the space neeeded for the pull downs.... and it's too big a space between that and the middle frame that ...

  1. #1

    Default Pull Down Menus in frame Problem

    First time trying pull down menus and having a problem.

    I'm building a site for a public school......... and want pull down menus to
    pull down under my top frame....... just a line with the links to pull down. I
    can't find a way so far. What I did was to create a frame underneath the top
    frame but it's not what I want as the frame my pull down menus reside in has to
    be large enough to accomodate the space neeeded for the pull downs.... and it's
    too big a space between that and the middle frame that everything opens into.

    Here's the site, please give it a look and you'll see what I mean:
    [url]http://www.ps107.org[/url]
    Any help appreciated....... very appreciated.
    Thanks:confused;

    hil400 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pull Down Menus in frame Problem

    There is no practical way to make a layer (that's how drop-down menus work)
    cross the boundary between two separate frames (i.e., two unique HTML
    pages).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames.....
    8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "hil400" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > First time trying pull down menus and having a problem.
    >
    > I'm building a site for a public school......... and want pull down menus
    > pull down under my top frame....... just a line with the links to pull
    > down. I
    > can't find a way so far. What I did was to create a frame underneath the
    > top
    > frame but it's not what I want as the frame my pull down menus reside in
    > has to
    > be large enough to accomodate the space neeeded for the pull downs.... and
    > it's
    > too big a space between that and the middle frame that everything opens
    > into.
    >
    > Here's the site, please give it a look and you'll see what I mean:
    > [url]http://www.ps107.org[/url]
    > Any help appreciated....... very appreciated.
    > Thanks:confused;

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Just keep in mind that with Dreamweaver it is sometimes a problem to have pop
    up lists unless you are using tables. You can design the page in layers, but
    I've had to convert the layers to tables to get the pop ups in Javascript to
    work properly. Just my 2 cents worth as I spent many hours trying to figure out
    why my pop ups weren't working on layered pages. (This may have changed with
    MX, I'm not sure.)

    seeger44 Guest

  4. #4

    > You can design the page in layers, but
    > I've had to convert the layers to tables to get the pop ups in Javascript
    > work properly.
    Gah.

    The only reason I can think of to do this would be if the menu layers were
    sliding under the page layers, and that's just another of the many reasons
    not to use these menus at all. It amazes me to see how much work people
    will go to to stick with a ship than sank 3 years ago.

    Get rid of these menus, period. Use simple HTML and CSS methods to create
    these things. Anybody can do it.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "seeger44" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Just keep in mind that with Dreamweaver it is sometimes a problem to have
    > pop
    > up lists unless you are using tables. You can design the page in layers,
    > but
    > I've had to convert the layers to tables to get the pop ups in Javascript
    > work properly. Just my 2 cents worth as I spent many hours trying to
    > figure out
    > why my pop ups weren't working on layered pages. (This may have changed
    > with
    > MX, I'm not sure.)

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Well, "Murray", designers tend to design in layers so we're used to laying
    things out visually versus coding in html. I agree, though, that frames are
    very outdated and just not worth the trouble. I don't use them. But, it's hard
    to abandon using layered design techniques because of the freedom they allow.
    It surprises me that you say anyone can do pop-ups because quite a few people
    have been asking me how to create them with javascript....not as easy as tying
    your shoes....and if you're new to it, it takes a bit of thought.

    seeger44 Guest

  6. #6

    > designers tend to design in layers so we're used to laying
    > things out visually versus coding in html.
    Perhaps. But this doesn't translate well to the web sometimes.

    There's designers and there's developers. If you want to be both, then you
    have to have both hats.
    > But, it's hard
    > to abandon using layered design techniques because of the freedom they
    > allow.
    Actually, I would take issue with that - but let's just say that one gains
    that same freedom in different ways when creating web pages.
    > It surprises me that you say anyone can do pop-ups because quite a few
    > people
    > have been asking me how to create them with javascript....not as easy as
    > tying
    > your shoes....and if you're new to it, it takes a bit of thought.
    It's quite simple, really. If you want to do it from scratch, you don't
    need to know a lick of javascript - just follow the tutorials here -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/snapmenus/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    and here's an example you can yze -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/autolayers/[/url]

    Or, if you are willing to spend a few dollars, you can't get any better than
    their PopMenuMagic extension -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/pmm/[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    Have been spending days trying to add a menu to my site that lives on the left
    side, has sub menus that roll out, and shows up on everypage of the web site (a
    catalog index, go here for widgets, here for thingies, etc). I have tried
    frames, layers, etc. My biggest problem is I need to be able to update the menu
    once and have it follow thru on every web page. Frontpage had something called
    "shared borders" that does this, but Frontpage is so flakey I am trying to
    learn Dreamweaver 8 and move everything over to it. Any
    thoughts????Please?????Help?????Thanks!!!!!
    Suzanne

    smh4wd Guest

  8. #8

    1. Dump the frames.

    2. Make an investment in your future - buy PopMenuMagic from the PVII
    folks -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/pmm/[/url]

    You'll be glad you did.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "smh4wd" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Have been spending days trying to add a menu to my site that lives on the
    > left
    > side, has sub menus that roll out, and shows up on everypage of the web
    > site (a
    > catalog index, go here for widgets, here for thingies, etc). I have tried
    > frames, layers, etc. My biggest problem is I need to be able to update the
    > menu
    > once and have it follow thru on every web page. Frontpage had something
    > called
    > "shared borders" that does this, but Frontpage is so flakey I am trying to
    > learn Dreamweaver 8 and move everything over to it. Any
    > thoughts????Please?????Help?????Thanks!!!!!
    > Suzanne

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. #9

    That would solve the menu "building" problem. What about positioning it into
    Dreamweaver so that the info is "shared" throughout the web site. I could
    template a page and use it everytime, but I don't want to have to go to each
    and every page in my web everytime I want to update the menu. Short of putting
    the menu in its own frame, does anyone know how to build it once?
    Suzanne

    smh4wd Guest

  10. #10

    > but I don't want to have to go to each
    > and every page in my web everytime I want to update the menu.
    This is what templates or server-side includes do for you. Make a change to
    a single file and in the case of templates, every page in the current local
    site is automatically changed, whereas with server-side includes, you would
    upload that single changed file and the server automatically inserts it into
    each referencing page.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > That would solve the menu "building" problem. What about positioning it
    > into
    > Dreamweaver so that the info is "shared" throughout the web site. I could
    > template a page and use it everytime, but I don't want to have to go to
    > each
    > and every page in my web everytime I want to update the menu. Short of
    > putting
    > the menu in its own frame, does anyone know how to build it once?
    > Suzanne

    Murray *TMM* Guest