Professional Web Applications Themes

Purge Clipboard - Adobe Illustrator Windows

In Illustrator, is there a way to clean up the memory as you can in Photo Shop with out closing and re-opening ?...

  1. #1

    Default Purge Clipboard

    In Illustrator, is there a way to clean up the memory as you can in Photo Shop with out closing and re-opening ?
    dean_gates@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Purge Clipboard

    NO that I'm aware of, Dean.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    There is a way of killing the undoes, but it is not recomended.

    I too, can't think of a way of deleting the clipboard info. I suppose if you have some huge piece of info in the clipboard you could copy something small to replace it, though I am not sure if that would help. Or there might be some external utility that allows you to purge the clipboard.
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Correct me (gently please) if I'm wrong, but doesn't the clipboard retain only the most recently copied material? If so just draw a teensy little line and copy that.

    Cheers, T
    Toni Toomey Guest

  5. #5

    Oh, duh. The clipboard saves the undos. So it's not quite that simple.

    |:-\ T
    Toni Toomey Guest

  6. #6

    You got me to thinking and actually you can easily clear the Clipboard by using Clipboard Viewer (Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Clipboard Viewer) and click the large X which clears Windows Clipboard. You can also "Save" what's there as a CLB file which can then be opened in the Clipboard viewer and those items will be put back onto the Clipboard (replacing what's there) whenever you wish. This is an old Windows accessory that I had forgotten until Toni's last post reminded me. It's not an Illustrator tool, but will work as one.

  7. #7

    Bob,

    Cool!

    Of course, this may take almost as much time as exiting and relaunching AI, which was Dean's original question. But this is so much more elegant.

    Toni Toomey Guest

  8. #8

    Toni,

    I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to Clipboard Viewer so that I can pop it up at any time.

    I have it because it's frequently helpful to know what's in there (e.g., to confirm that a paste really worked). I've never before tried clearing the clipboard using the viewer while I was in Illustrator, so I just tried it now and it works fine.

    You just have to make sure you choose a key combo that does not conflict with any of your applications' shortcuts.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Harron,

    This is getting cooler by the minute. I just went into to Windows Explore Help and searched "clipboard viewer" and "keyboard shortcut." There's a bunch of stuff on the Clipboard Viewer and on creating shortcuts for a Windows function.

    Now all I have to do is go play with it—after I get today's deadlines met.

    Thanks!

    Toni Toomey Guest

  10. #10

    While you're at it, another handy Windows accessory to shortcut is Character Map.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I'll take a peek. And while we're at it, have you ever figured out a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to minimizing a doent window without having to click on those %*&! little Min/Max buttons in the upper right of the window?

    If you have, you will be my hero for life.

    Toni Toomey Guest

  12. #12

    Harron,

    I'm not finding anything in Win2K that allows creating a customized keyboard shortcut to launch an app. Could you direct me to that?

    Thanks!

    Michael
    Michael_Griswold@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Toni,

    ...have you ever figured out a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to minimizing
    a doent window without having to click on those %*&! little Min/Max
    buttons in the upper right of the window?

    If you mean applications in Windows, no. But WindowsKey+M will minimize all windows. You can then Alt+Tab to the app you want to bring up.

    If you mean doent windows within Illustrator, no. But I haven't really felt the need to minimize doents. I tend to keep all of my open docs maximized and use Ctrl+F6 to toggle among them.

    I have one of the side buttons on my mouse programmed to minimize the active app.

    Sorry if I fell short of hero status.

  14. #14

    I tend to keep all of my open docs maximized and use Ctrl+F6 to toggle
    among them.

    ....Sorry if I fell short of hero status.

    Well now, Harron, that's worth at least White Knight status. You may have to wait a while for the gleaming armor.

    That's a very cool tip that will be very useful. Thanks!

    Toni Toomey Guest

  15. #15

    ...that will be very useful. Thanks!

    Good, I'm glad. And you're welcome.

    Michael - Hit F1 from the Windows desktop and search Help with the keyphrase 'shortcut key.'

    If you're still unable to come up with the info you need, get back to us.

    (I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just trying to avoid a lot of typing.)

  16. #16

    Got it, Harron, thanks! The search for 'shortcut key' pulled up a sub-topic 'for applications' where 'keyboard shortcut' did not.

    All is good.

  17. #17

    Good-oh, Michael.

  18. #18

    Harron, just to help out. The key combo to minimize would be Alt+space then N. To reverse and maximize is Alt+space then X.
    M will move the window and S will size the window. This works for all apps I have, on 98, W2k and probably on XP.

    Hope that gets closer to what you are looking for.-Ted
    er_collins@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Also, Toni, you can drag a shortcut icon from both ClipBoard Viewer and Character Map onto your Quick Launch area on your Task Bar (or Program menu in Start) by simply draging the EXE file from Explorer to the Launch area or Start button or both, for that matter. This cuts down on the time to get to the file start path. Makes it a quick and handy item as long as you keep your Task bar either visible or as a Pop up.

  20. #20

    Ted,

    That is AMAZING. How in the heck did you ever find that combo????

    Sorry Harron, you keep the gleaming armor and wear it proudly. But Ted just picked up the Hero for Life, Lifetime Acheivment Award, Gleaming Armor, Rearing Stallion, Jewel Studded Saber--the whole nine yards.

    Thank you, Harron. And thank you Ted!!!

    :-)
    Toni Toomey Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast