Professional Web Applications Themes

PVII Positioned Popup Menus - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I wrote a question asking for help with drop down menus in DW. But I am wondering if I should do the work that is in the following tutuorial instead. [url]http://projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/snapmenus/index.htm[/url] I am planning on using the top drop downs as a library item and also in a template. Will the DW show/hide not do well in a template or a library item? Thank you, Nancy Here is the page I am talking about. [url]http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/MSAD54Pages/NorthEl/northel.htm[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default PVII Positioned Popup Menus

    I wrote a question asking for help with drop down menus in DW. But I am
    wondering if I should do the work that is in the following tutuorial instead.

    [url]http://projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/snapmenus/index.htm[/url]

    I am planning on using the top drop downs as a library item and also in a
    template. Will the DW show/hide not do well in a template or a library item?

    Thank you,
    Nancy

    Here is the page I am talking about.

    [url]http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/MSAD54Pages/NorthEl/northel.htm[/url]

    skowhegan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PVII Positioned Popup Menus

    These menus will do fine in either. Things to watch out for -

    1. If you are using a Library item, the Library file itself cannot contain
    shouldn't contain any javascript. It should just contain the markup that
    would normally be found between <body> and </body>. This means that you
    must be careful when creating the Library item to just select the elements
    on the Design view and then use MODIFY | Library > Add Object to Library.

    2. If you are using Templates, and you are using behaviors that require
    modifying the body tag, you will have to use advanced template features to
    make that work. There are explanations in the PVII Knowledge base on how to
    do this.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "skowhegan" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I wrote a question asking for help with drop down menus in DW. But I am
    > wondering if I should do the work that is in the following tutuorial
    > instead.
    >
    > [url]http://projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/snapmenus/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > I am planning on using the top drop downs as a library item and also in a
    > template. Will the DW show/hide not do well in a template or a library
    > item?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Nancy
    >
    > Here is the page I am talking about.
    >
    > [url]http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/MSAD54Pages/NorthEl/northel.htm[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Do I understand...I will not be able to use javascript in the library ...So i
    will not be able to have dropdowns in a library item?

  4. #4

    No, you don't understand. You can have a call to the javascript in the
    Library item, but you just will not need the javascript functions that
    support that call in the head, because when you insert that Library item, DW
    is smart enough to see the call, and automatically write the required
    function into the head for you.

    Does that make sense?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Do I understand...I will not be able to use javascript in the library
    > ...So i
    > will not be able to have dropdowns in a library item?
    >
    > [url]http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/MSAD54Pages/NorthEl/northel.htm[/url]
    >
    > Nancy

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, you are making sense. I will study all the information you have given me
    this week - end and will probably have more questions next week. Thank you so
    much.

    But a few more thoughts now.

    I have used the PII7 pop menus a few years ago.
    Here is the page that i did.

    [url]http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/[/url]

    I then saw the DW had this show/hide behavior and it seemed a little easier
    for me. I do want to use templates and libraries with Contribute.(I am teaching
    the secretaries in our district to maintain pages using Contribute). Do you
    think there is an advantage for me to go back and use the PVII popup menus
    rather then the show/hide layer menus.

    Nancy

    skowhegan Guest

  6. #6

    The important thing is that you understand the concepts. Either way would
    work fine. Neither way will allow editing in Contribute of the hidden layer
    contents, however.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Yes, you are making sense. I will study all the information you have given
    > me
    > this week - end and will probably have more questions next week. Thank you
    > so
    > much.
    >
    > But a few more thoughts now.
    >
    > I have used the PII7 pop menus a few years ago.
    > Here is the page that i did.
    >
    > [url]http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/[/url]
    >
    > I then saw the DW had this show/hide behavior and it seemed a little
    > easier
    > for me. I do want to use templates and libraries with Contribute.(I am
    > teaching
    > the secretaries in our district to maintain pages using Contribute). Do
    > you
    > think there is an advantage for me to go back and use the PVII popup menus
    > rather then the show/hide layer menus.
    >
    > Nancy

    Murray *TMM* Guest