Professional Web Applications Themes

Q about Ebay - Photography

bit of a novice with Ebay, but how can things disappear at the last minute (or maybe hour)? Last week I was watching an item and I checked and it had closed with some message saying they'd stopped the auction because they had described the camera features wrongly (which they hadn't as I have one the same and their ad was accurate) Today, I had my eye on something and logged in about an hour before the action was going to close and it's completely gone... A msg "The item you requested ( nnnnnnnnnn ) is invalid, still pending, or ...

  1. #1

    Default Q about Ebay

    bit of a novice with Ebay, but how can things disappear at the last minute
    (or maybe hour)?

    Last week I was watching an item and I checked and it had closed with some
    message saying they'd stopped the auction because they had described the
    camera features wrongly (which they hadn't as I have one the same and their
    ad was accurate)

    Today, I had my eye on something and logged in about an hour before the
    action was going to close and it's completely gone... A msg "The item you
    requested ( nnnnnnnnnn ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our
    database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists,
    the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has
    expired and is no longer available. " What's that all about?

    If anyone can shed some light on these, please do! :)

    Cheers, Nige

    Nige Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Q about Ebay

    Could be that the person realised that they weren't going to get the amount
    they were after on it and decided to relist it. Its immoral but probably
    what has happened.

    For example:
    <[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2942072793&category=1[/url]
    5221&rd=1>
    This flash was advertised last week, but was pulled at the last minute
    without attracting any bids. However, the seller also had another identical
    flash that did get bids. The flash was re-listed $50 more expensive that it
    originally was.

    See the current flash here:
    <[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2944805026&category=1[/url]
    5221>

    "Nige" <postit.in.thegroup> wrote in message
    > bit of a novice with Ebay, but how can things disappear at the last minute
    > (or maybe hour)?
    >
    > Last week I was watching an item and I checked and it had closed with some
    > message saying they'd stopped the auction because they had described the
    > camera features wrongly (which they hadn't as I have one the same and
    their
    > ad was accurate)
    >
    > Today, I had my eye on something and logged in about an hour before the
    > action was going to close and it's completely gone... A msg "The item you
    > requested ( nnnnnnnnnn ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our
    > database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists,
    > the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or
    has
    > expired and is no longer available. " What's that all about?
    >
    > If anyone can shed some light on these, please do! :)
    >
    > Cheers, Nige

    Ubiquitous Guest

  3. #3

    "Nige" <postit.in.thegroup> wrote:
    > Last week I was watching an item and I checked and it had closed with some
    > message saying they'd stopped the auction because they had described the
    > camera features wrongly (which they hadn't as I have one the same and
    their
    > ad was accurate)
    The seller wasn't getting what they anticipated and decided to shut the
    auction using a <Dr Evil finger quotes> 'valid reason' </Dr Evil finger
    quotes>. They aren't allowed to close the auction because they weren't
    getting what they wanted.
    > Today, I had my eye on something and logged in about an hour before the
    > action was going to close and it's completely gone... A msg "The item you
    > requested ( nnnnnnnnnn ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our
    > database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists,
    > the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or
    has
    > expired and is no longer available. " What's that all about?
    Item removed by eBay. Could be an eBay confirmed dodgy seller or illegal
    item or ... I'm out of ideas.

    KC

    Ken Guest

  4. #4

    Ken wrote:
    > "Nige" <postit.in.thegroup> wrote:
    >
    > Item removed by eBay. Could be an eBay confirmed dodgy seller or illegal
    > item or ... I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > KC

    I have one idea... maybe someone with a credit card from Indonesia
    offered him more money) to close the auction down and sell privately and
    he accepted :-)
    BRenton

    Ps... this joke may only be understood by ebay sellers.

    Brenton Guest

  5. #5

    "Nige" <postit.in.thegroup> wrote in message
    > bit of a novice with Ebay, but how can things disappear at the last minute
    > (or maybe hour)?
    >
    > Last week I was watching an item and I checked and it had closed with some
    > message saying they'd stopped the auction because they had described the
    > camera features wrongly (which they hadn't as I have one the same and
    their
    > ad was accurate)
    That one was cancelled by the seller for whatever reason, and that is one of
    the four excuses you can use. For example others being lost/broken, error in
    reserve/initial price.

    > Today, I had my eye on something and logged in about an hour before the
    > action was going to close and it's completely gone... A msg "The item you
    > requested ( nnnnnnnnnn ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our
    > database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists,
    > the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or
    has
    > expired and is no longer available. " What's that all about?
    That means it was cancelled by Ebay. For many reasons. Illegal or not
    allowed, you used copyrighted material, they think the item is a fraud, the
    seller attracted too many complaints .... etc..

    David in Perth Guest

  6. #6

    "Nige" <postit.in.thegroup> wrote in message news:3f34c9e2_1news.iprimus.com.au...
    > bit of a novice with Ebay, but how can things disappear at the last minute
    > (or maybe hour)?
    >
    > Last week I was watching an item and I checked and it had closed with some
    > message saying they'd stopped the auction because they had described the
    > camera features wrongly (which they hadn't as I have one the same and their
    > ad was accurate)
    >
    > Today, I had my eye on something and logged in about an hour before the
    > action was going to close and it's completely gone... A msg "The item you
    > requested ( nnnnnnnnnn ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our
    > database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists,
    > the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has
    > expired and is no longer available. " What's that all about?
    >
    > If anyone can shed some light on these, please do! :)
    >
    > Cheers, Nige
    In addition to the other posts, if you watch enough auctions you will notice some
    sellers regularly have multiple items closing a few days apart. Interestingly the item
    and description are identical, only the start bid and timing might be different.

    Assuming the obvious, that they are multiple listings of the same item, when one
    of the auctions hits some price the seller needs to cancel the others since there is but
    a single item to sell (and in some cases businesses do have quantities but also might
    cancel to avoid one instance going too cheap).

    Ebay is increasingly populated by businesses looking for retail, professional resellers,
    and thus the overall sellers are getting quite sophisticated through their education. I
    expect there are also a lot of phantom bidders to push prices up. Rules are generally
    hard to enforce, and if found guilty the penalty is not exactly hard time.

    In fairness Ebay is the class act of interet auctions and does make an effort to do the
    right thing. It is simply hard because of the magnitude of the business.

    Southern Flyer Guest

  7. #7

    Southern Flyer wrote:
    > Ebay is increasingly populated by businesses looking for retail, professional resellers,
    > and thus the overall sellers are getting quite sophisticated through their education. I
    > expect there are also a lot of phantom bidders to push prices up. Rules are generally
    > hard to enforce, and if found guilty the penalty is not exactly hard time.
    I think that you'll find many eBay fraudsters in the US at least have
    wound up behind bars, one I recall was to do with a syndicate bidding up
    high priced art works.

    Rob
    Rob Guest

  8. #8

    "Rob" <audiobANTISPAMozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:3F35885A.6224D4F4ozemail.com.au...
    > Southern Flyer wrote:
    >
    > > Ebay is increasingly populated by businesses looking for retail, professional resellers,
    > > and thus the overall sellers are getting quite sophisticated through their education. I
    > > expect there are also a lot of phantom bidders to push prices up. Rules are generally
    > > hard to enforce, and if found guilty the penalty is not exactly hard time.
    >
    > I think that you'll find many eBay fraudsters in the US at least have
    > wound up behind bars, one I recall was to do with a syndicate bidding up
    > high priced art works.
    >
    > Rob
    [url]http://www.adlawbyrequest.com/inthecourts/DiebenkornCase42301.shtml[/url]

    [url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/5892779p-6856160c.html[/url]

    I repeat my assertion. From the above it appears one of three in the ring will probably (but
    not necessarily) do some hard time, and it is noted this is the first such prosecution for internet
    shill bidding.

    Southern Flyer Guest